The Post Home and Away Season Conundrum

Ok, so here goes another suggestion. The aim? To offer a satisfying post home and away schedule that is less convoluted, shorter, more meaningful than the existing middle 8s whilst still offering a realistic PnR opportunity.

SL top 8, go through to finals 1v4 and 5v8 etc as per NRL. 4 weeks to Old Trafford. As for the rest....

Week 1:SL bottom 4 and top 4 Champ play in PnR finals. Champ 1v4 and 2v3 are qualification, losers eliminated and remain in Champ, winners prog' to week 2 to play each other. SL 9v12 and 10v11. Winners stay in SL, losers move to play each other.

Week 2: Week1 Champ teams play, winner qualifies for MPG. SL losers from week1 play. Winner stays in SL, loser plays for survival in MPG.

Week 3: MPG

Every game counts. Thoughts?

Sounds just as convoluted as the present to me! But if it means P - R they'll be a queue to support it here in a minute! ;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Was hoping the 3 week system and with every fixture effectively either a knock out or the guarantee of safety would make this a short and vibrant affair with the glamour of a MPG.

In my opinion the middle 8s in its existing format as a round robin is a long way to eliminate teams that may have nothing left to play for after the first three or four weeks.

Was hoping the 3 week system and with every fixture effectively either a knock out or the guarantee of safety would make this a short and vibrant affair with the glamour of a MPG.

In my opinion the middle 8s in its existing format as a round robin is a long way to eliminate teams that may have nothing left to play for after the first three or four weeks.

Yes I can see that being a much more marketable idea.

Which teams 'have nothing to play for'? Leeds can still catch Widnes for 8th for example

If you are going to offer PnR via the Championship playing SL then it has to be more than 1 or 2 games

Which teams 'have nothing to play for'? Leeds can still catch Widnes for 8th for example

If you are going to offer PnR via the Championship playing SL then it has to be more than 1 or 2 games

pardon I was talking about having nothing to play for after three or four rounds in the existing middle 8 format. So in the existing system, a championship team losing their first three or four games are pretty much out of contention, meaning they have another three or four games where they are simply making up numbers.

My format has elimination each week. I don't agree that you have to have more than 1 game between SL and Champ to determine PnR. In fact, 1 game PnR sensationalises the event.

pardon I was talking about having nothing to play for after three or four rounds in the existing middle 8 format. So in the existing system, a championship team losing their first three or four games are pretty much out of contention, meaning they have another three or four games where they are simply making up numbers.

My format has elimination each week. I don't agree that you have to have more than 1 game between SL and Champ to determine PnR. In fact, 1 game PnR sensationalises the event.

So in theory how many Championship sides could be P'd in your system if you've not said already?

Just the one Ox. Just the one.

Dave T, as for reducing games, A previous suggestion on another thread around the Round of 16 for the Challenge Cup being four groups of four club group stage should add a few more meaningful fixtures that don't currently exist to keep you happy.

Archived