International Cricket 2016

Sri Lanka's new bowler Shanaka's test debut so far: 3 wickets in 8 balls for 1 run. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My figures so far are 4 pints for 1 sandwich.

Nice and mild in Headingly.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

England 94 for 5 now...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What do cricket fans think of this new points system to decide the winners of a series? I am completely against it,T20 and 50 over cricket can t be considered the real thing compared to Test cricket.Earlier on TMS some guy said that T20 and Test cricket were like RL and RU! I Didn t hear which was which.

What do cricket fans think of this new points system to decide the winners of a series? I am completely against it,T20 and 50 over cricket can t be considered the real thing compared to Test cricket.Earlier on TMS some guy said that T20 and Test cricket were like RL and RU! I Didn t hear which was which.

The 'tour' points' thing has been used in women's cricket in recent years, but that is down to their tours having fewer fixtures; sometimes only one full Test. In that instance, it works quite well.

In the men's game, it strikes me as change for change's sake. If this is just an experiment that will be assessed after the Pakistan tour, it is worth a try. If it is a permanent, nailed on fait accompli, I'm uncomfortable with it.

The RL/RU/Sevens comparison was about how the same selection of players would not be playing in all three versions of the game, rather than a qualitative comparison. Vaughan (I think) was saying that it would be like the England RU team being unable to win the Six Nations if the RL team had lost a Test series because 'England' might be too far behind on points.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sri Lanka 12 for 3 in less than 6 overs! B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The 'tour' points' thing has been used in women's cricket in recent years, but that is down to their tours having fewer fixtures; sometimes only one full Test. In that instance, it works quite well.

In the men's game, it strikes me as change for change's sake. If this is just an experiment that will be assessed after the Pakistan tour, it is worth a try. If it is a permanent, nailed on fait accompli, I'm uncomfortable with it.

The RL/RU/Sevens comparison was about how the same selection of players would not be playing in all three versions of the game, rather than a qualitative comparison. Vaughan (I think) was saying that it would be like the England RU team being unable to win the Six Nations if the RL team had lost a Test series because 'England' might be too far behind on points.

Futtocks It s good to see sensible replies on this forum rather than the 'if it isn't RL it isn't t worth talking about'.

The recently-retired James Taylor has just been introduced as the BBC's latest pundit.

Cue "jobs for the boys" rants from the usual sources, I suppose.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sri Lanka 90 for 7 now, thanks to Jimmy "doesn't take many wickets at Headingley" Anderson. B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

And, by the time I posted that, 90 for 8!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

91 all out, and the follow-on enforced. This might not go the full five days.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll have to keep only half an eye on the Cricket during Magic Weekend, but I hope the weather holds out for a proper result.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

A stronger showing from sri Lanka this time, even though that still meant a 9 wicket win for England.

I think Sri Lanka might do better at Lord's.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has made the day a little more interesting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very pleased for Bairstow but something not quite right when the tracker suggests HALF THE BALL (49.8% apparently) is going to hit the stumps but it remains umpires call.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Looks like the ICC will look at the margins. Not a bad day for England today, hope cook is okay. Try and push on tmw past a lead of 300

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

How many times in the last year have we been something like 50/3 or 80/4? Must be at least a dozen. How do we keep winning test series??

Because we're ace! B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

For someone of a my vintage, watching the West Indies work over South Africa with predominantly spin bowling is just weird. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

This is shaping up to be a decent Test match.

Pakistan won the toss, chose to bat and are currently 78 for 3.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pakistan's military press-ups celebration! :D

This looks like a tough series for England, which is exactly what the team needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZruxGmnfltQ

Ralph Waldo Emerson

What a day for England!

589 for 8 declared (including 254 from Joe Root), then Pakistan finished the day on 57 for 4.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived