Have Barla thrown the towel in ?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No .

Even in the Hull and District area we get next to zero information about the local games .

The match reports in the local paper are short and no pictures .

A little better for the NCL tEAMS BUT NOT GREAT .

Local Union teams have pre game reports and pictures , match reports and pictures.

Junior rugby is a little better due to a junior sports section in the local paper .

Maybe local paper doesnt print whats sent in , maybe nothing gets sent .

As far as I can tell the only BARLA leagues remaining are:

Pennine League

Hull & District League

Cumberland League

Barrow & District League

Hull Youth League (highest age group U15s)

North West Counties 13s-15s

No leagues in the U16s to U18s age range anymore

not sure governing bodies should provide games to press! Press will cover that they get... http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugbyleague/14428641.Rochdale_Mayfield_A_0_Bury_Broncos_17/

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

not sure governing bodies should provide games to press! Press will cover that they get... http://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugbyleague/14428641.Rochdale_Mayfield_A_0_Bury_Broncos_17/

Pretty much every local paper in the country has suffered massive cutbacks.  There aren't the reporters and photographers about like only a few years ago.

Basically if you want reports and photos in the local press then you will have to provide them yourself.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

You are all missing the point , what I am asking is ,is the Amatuer board of management doing / trying anything to stop the decline of the game .

They gave up on Youth and junior matters now it seems they do not give a monkeys about the OA .

Look at the demise of the Pennine league as an example .

It is clear the CB policies are detrimental to the amatuer game , my question is have the board thrown the towel in ?

Are Barla doing anything to combat the drop off of community teams playing rugby league ?

Sadly, judging by this recent reply (below) on the subject from the BARLA secretary, no;

I have been saying this for the last 3 years, There was 5 u18`s teams that fulfilled their fixtures last year and 6 the year before, that’s 6 teams going into 130 open age clubs in Yorkshire & Hull. Last year 5 teams and these teams are not a full 25-30 players, they are barely existing.

Sorry to say but the open age amateur game is dying and will continue to die, this is not just due to super league clubs taking the best players but the way of life for youth. Computers, Tablets, Mobile Phones and biggest killer is the games consoles.

Kids no longer play out like they did many years ago as there is soo much to do at home and you very rarely see a group of kids kicking a ball around on a field anymore.

Years ago kids went out as there was  nothing to do at home, now there is 300 channels on TV including sport, Games you can play with your mate at the other side of the country and talk to him at the same time, computers you can talk to people on as with facebook.

Sorry but Rugby League like football and union is declining fast.

Regards

Phil

You never fail until you stop trying

There are some good news stories with clubs like Bury Broncos, Manchester Rangers and Heysham Atoms expanding the game on the fringes of the heartlands as well as some clubs new to the NCL doing well. I guess you can add Mirfield Stags and Doncaster Toll Bar to the list of towns with not much traditional success in the amateur game doing well.

On the other hand the game has lost lots of clubs in some areas like Widnes and the Pennine League is going over a cliff face especially in the higher divisions.

Dont forget glue sniffing to that list of alternative past times

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Sadly, judging by this recent reply (below) on the subject from the BARLA secretary, no;

I have been saying this for the last 3 years, There was 5 u18`s teams that fulfilled their fixtures last year and 6 the year before, that’s 6 teams going into 130 open age clubs in Yorkshire & Hull. Last year 5 teams and these teams are not a full 25-30 players, they are barely existing.

Sorry to say but the open age amateur game is dying and will continue to die, this is not just due to super league clubs taking the best players but the way of life for youth. Computers, Tablets, Mobile Phones and biggest killer is the games consoles.

Kids no longer play out like they did many years ago as there is soo much to do at home and you very rarely see a group of kids kicking a ball around on a field anymore.

Years ago kids went out as there was nothing to do at home, now there is 300 channels on TV including sport, Games you can play with your mate at the other side of the country and talk to him at the same time, computers you can talk to people on as with facebook.

Sorry but Rugby League like football and union is declining fast.

Regards

Phil

Well that answers my question the answer is yes ,

Towel well and truly thrown in .

The whole board should step down and allow people who give a damn an opportunity to resurrect the association led by Stu Prior the man who should have been elected chair .

All the scare tactics employed by the blazer brigade preservation society has really benefited our once great meaningful association NOT .

There is still time to rescue our game and stand up to the RFL and expose their damaging policies to the greater masses .

I think BARLA need to be killed off and a brand new association set up that accepts the vast majority of the amateur game that's now played in summer as well as the game outside the heartlands and accepts juniors as equals. Stuart Prior would be the best chairman though I agree

I agree, BARLA should be wound up this year. Let's be honest, there is no BARLA now, the current board have done absolutely nothing to promote the game.

Sure they backed the newly formed Cumbria Men's League with a grant - then decided after 3 years they want the money back as they've now decided it was a loan!

BARLA Has no purpose anymore so why keep it?

1 - what exactly is BARLAs role in the modern game?

2 - what are the benefits to clubs/leagues of being members of BARLA?

3 - what have BARLA done in the last 5 years to promote and develop rugby league?

I agree, BARLA should be wound up this year. Let's be honest, there is no BARLA now, the current board have done absolutely nothing to promote the game.

Sure they backed the newly formed Cumbria Men's League with a grant - then decided after 3 years they want the money back as they've now decided it was a loan!

BARLA Has no purpose anymore so why keep it?

1 - what exactly is BARLAs role in the modern game?

2 - what are the benefits to clubs/leagues of being members of BARLA?

3 - what have BARLA done in the last 5 years to promote and develop rugby league?

Not a lot, but neither have the RFL despite numerous meetings and pontification

So if BARLA folded tomorrow how do you see the game growing at Community Level?

I cannot see anything would change, you would not notice if BARLA were not there and the RFL seem to put all their efforts into the younger age groups while the main drop off is after 14 until this is resolved OA rugby won't get any better in my view

I cannot see anything would change, you would not notice if BARLA were not there and the RFL seem to put all their efforts into the younger age groups while the main drop off is after 14 until this is resolved OA rugby won't get any better in my view

This is how I see it - the only hope is that the extra effort at 7s-12s will generate more players coming up to the problem ages of 14+ and negate some of the issues there. There still needs to be a better solution for scholarships / academy etc but at least if there's a bigger base of the pyramid those benefits should trickle up

Something radical like playing the scholarship u16 and 19 mid week allowing players to play for their amateur club on weekends, instead of calling games off when 2-3 players are involved, meaning 30 don't get a game.

I advocated tying into the schools system as happened when I was growing up but have been informed this isn't remotely feasible with the reduction in sport at school. Therefore your suggestion I think is the next best solution. In fact, I'd remove the U16 level and let kids develop at their community clubs; the best could come together in 'town team' training camps each year and maybe play 5-6 games a year (midweek) against other 'town' teams before the best players are sucked up into the 'system' when they are 16/17/18... the professional clubs could still 'coach' these sides.

I advocated tying into the schools system as happened when I was growing up but have been informed this isn't remotely feasible with the reduction in sport at school. Therefore your suggestion I think is the next best solution. In fact, I'd remove the U16 level and let kids develop at their community clubs; the best could come together in 'town team' training camps each year and maybe play 5-6 games a year (midweek) against other 'town' teams before the best players are sucked up into the 'system' when they are 16/17/18... the professional clubs could still 'coach' these sides.

Isn't this "Service Area" that was phased out a few years ago?

Could 9s competitions and/or merit leagues be used to allow teams who might struggle to raise teams to keep playing so that the remaining players still have a team to play in

Merit Leagues are in use and you can choose how many games you want to play in, this does not put pressure onto clubs and teams to put teams out every week and is also a cheaper option for travel, I think some people forget how much money and commitment it takes to travel any distance

Archived