Match thread Oldham v Featherstone 1st May 2016

On paper this looks one of the more straight forward team selections to predict. Difficult to see any outside backs from Leeds being available; sounds like Craven might be back, so with Milner out that looks like a straight swap. Hopefully we'll get Baldwinson again if not selected for Leeds tomorrow. Otherwise pretty much as last week I'd guess.

One interesting sidenote form Sunday's game that I haven't seen mentioned much is that Andy Ellis played a full 80 minutes - the fact it hasn't been a big topic of discussion pays tribute to the fact that his game didn't drop off at all. We certainly looked a different team going forward to the Batley game with Ellis back pulling the strings at 9.

Whether it was the plan all along for him to play 80 minutes might be a different matter though, Milner's injury meant Davies had to move to a ball-playing role and he would have been the likeliest candidate for a switch to dummy half to spell Ellis. For me, if Ellis is comfortable playing 80 minutes I'd let him, he did it in the Shield final last year and I remember he used to comment on wanting more minutes last season, and not only is he so much better than any other option currently available to us in that position, he also stops us having to switch players like Davies or Craven from their most effective positions.

No danger of anyone underestimating Oldham after they beat Batley, Sheffield and then Hull KR in consecutive weeks. They gave us a real game at our place, though like us I think they have injury problems at the moment and hopefully playing them 6 days before their Cup match with Warrington might work in our favour, then again they might be thinking that playing us straight after a tough game with Leigh is in theirs. Would be good if we can get the win as the four teams above us play each other this weekend (Leigh v Batley, London v Bradford) so points are going to be dropped somewhere.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good assessment of the game in your last paragraph, injuries have really bitten us this season-we are down to the bare bones really but hopefully a couple of players may be ok for this weekend,shame its two injury hit squads but I'm sure it will be a good game as Oldham v Fev games usually are. We will be looking to bounce back after a disappointing loss at Haven last week and as games are going by we desperately need some points to aid the potential relegation battle we may face. The Warrington game wont have a bearing, Naylor only looks at the game on a week to week basis, even the HKR win was sidelined after a couple of days by him lol! Well see you guys Sunday,safe trip across to Stalybridge and enjoy the match!

Jordan abdull in on loan helps us in the half back places especially if Craven on the sidelines longer than expected

A game i unfortuneatly miss due to my daughters christening taking place....i did try to get a saturday christening!

squad now on RFL website...no Spears or Ellis. Abdull is included, so are Craven and Snitch, and most interestingly there's a Foster in there, which must mean we have signed Jamie Foster.

Yes it's Jamie Foster

Im Fev and im proud

They are dammed quick and in your faces.

It's a smashing little ground, when you go in the bottom turnstiles, there is a pie stall good pie and peas, then about a dozen steps away is their smallish social club, get there early as car parking at the ground is limited.

Cheers Roger(Batley fan).

http://www.featherstonerovers.net/article/49463/rovers-strengthen-squad

Foster confirmed on a short term deal

For me hes had his critics but getting him and abdull in on loan is a great bit of business - that coupled with Craven returning too

We know he can kick goals for fun and im in no doubt that he wouldve finished off the try that Blockley didnt last week, mainly due to Blockleys lack of pace

With Turner and Johnson too, thats 3 speedy wingers in at the club, nice competition

But these two signings allow a bit of rotation with the squad too - the business end of season is coming up and although our fitness this year has been fantastic, it doesnt hurt to have one or two be able to have the odd breather if the opportunity arises

Just hope both moves work out

How does everyone think we'll line up tomorrow?

Hardman

Johnston/Taulapapa/Brockley/Foster

Craven/Thackeray

Griffin/Davies/Bostock

Cording/Tagg

Ormondroyd

Bench:

Abdull/Baldwinson/Cooper/Snitch

Maybe Abdull to start, Craven to hooker, Davies to second row and Tagg to the bench

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

How does everyone think we'll line up tomorrow?

Hardman

Johnston/Taulapapa/Brockley/Foster

Craven/Thackeray

Griffin/Davies/Bostock

Cording/Tagg

Ormondroyd

Bench:

Abdull/Baldwinson/Cooper/Snitch

Maybe Abdull to start, Craven to hooker, Davies to second row and Tagg to the bench

Cant see why we would swap tagg for blockley in the centre !.

Hardman

johnson

misi

tagg

foster

Abdull

Thacks

Griffin

Craven

Bostock

Cording

Davies

Snitch

Subs Ormonroyd Cooper Baldwinson Blockley

Looks good to me.

Cant see why we would swap tagg for blockley in the centre !.

Tagg was outstanding in the forwards before the shortage of backs and he got moved to centre, where he is just adequate. The lad must be chomping at the bit to get back to his best position.

Tagg was outstanding in the forwards before the shortage of backs and he got moved to centre, where he is just adequate. The lad must be chomping at the bit to get back to his best position.

I agree but i wouldnt move him till channings back .

Just checked the weather prospects for today's match and despite the general forecast for wind and rain, between 3pm and 5pm the forecast is dry and cloudy with rain before and after the match so hope to see our usual good away following.

It's a nice little ground with plenty of cover. It would be good to see lots of old friends from Fev. 

Archived