Danny Lawton Q&A

Cougars News

Ahead of this Saturday’s iPro Sport Cup Final, Danny Lawton spoke with the RFL for a quick question and answer session.

It has been a really frustrating start to the season for you as you’ve been out with an injury but it’s looking good for you for the iPro Sport Cup final.

Just to build up a bit of match fitness at the start of the season, I played a game with the second team on a Thursday night and basically just fell awkwardly in a tackle and dislocated my elbow.

X-rays revealed there was no fracture so I just had to rest and let it mend and now I’m just getting back to fitness and am looking to push on.

There are a few injuries in the squad; Hamish Barnes is struggling so that may be a little opportunity for me to get back in there. I’m just trying to get my game sorted first and hopefully everything else will look after itself.

After being selected in the squad for last weekend’s trip to London Skolars, your second game back will be the iPro Sport Cup final, which is a nice way to get back in.

We struggled in the iPro Sport Cup last year, getting knocked out by Swinton in the quarter-finals and we wanted to put a tick in the box to make it this year, so to get there is one goal. Now we’re there, we obviously want to go a step forward and lift the cup.

Keighley are in great form at the moment with seven wins in a row before your defeat to Skolars at the weekend, so morale must be great within the squad.

The morale is great, it always is to be fair even if we’re not in great form. It just so happens that we are in great form at the minute which is good going into the final.

Training has been good and all the lads are in great spirit so it’s a good atmosphere at the minute around camp, which bodes well for Blackpool.

How much would it mean to Keighley Cougars and your fans if you went onto win the iPro Sport Cup?

It would mean so much. It’s obviously been well documented what has happened at the club over the last 12 months and I just think that it will be a good way of giving the fans something good to cheer about because they’ve stuck with us through thick and thin.

They stay with us through promotions and relegations so it would be good to give them something to cheer about.

Quick-fire Questions

Fish and Chips or Hot Dog? – Fish and Chips

The Beach or Blackpool Pleasure Beach? – Beach

Ice cream or candyfloss? – Rock!

Blackpool Tower of the Pier? – Pier

You played York in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup earlier in the season and they won on that occasion. Obviously you weren’t playing due to the injury, but what did you make of the game?

We were disappointed with that game because we went into it very confident that we could get something out of it but we didn’t really turn up with the right mentality. They started off really well and went 18-0 up and we made a better fight of it in the second half but York were better on the day. Hopefully we can turn that around in the final.

Are there any previous cup finals from both your junior and senior career that you’ve played in, that have stuck in the mind?

I didn’t play in many during my junior career, my first big final was at Leeds Rhinos in the Under-18s against St Helens at Headingley. They had gone unbeaten all year and we beat them in the Grand Final.

The 2011 play-off final for Keighley when we played against Workington at Warrington’s ground was also memorable. We beat them pretty comfortably and that was a good day as a lot of fans travelled up. I actually got on the scoresheet in that game, which is always good in a big game.

They’re the two that spring to mind – obviously you don’t remember the ones you lose quite as well. We lost the play-off final against Swinton last year, falling short by a point which was devastating! Apart from that, I’ve got a pretty good track record in finals.

View the full article

Archived