SOLD OUT

Not quite. 84,000 were there that day but that was mainly due to the fact the Wembley had just opened and the novelty of the final returning 'home'.

Not that people actually wanted to go to the game then

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but the point is the same. Clubs may get around 10k for a regular game in Union, but put them in a final and the whole town will get behind it.

I was addressing this from the point of view of the two finalists sets of fans rather than the RL community...

In that case, I absolutely agree.

Interestingly, though, we do quite a lot of events and the like at work and I am on every hospitality mailing list - I have never once been offered tickets or a package to the Challenge Cup final (to buy, I mean, I'm not important enough to be given these things).

I could though, get a VIP package to the local mental hospital sevens at union.

People called Romans they go the house

It isn't the same at all. Union's big crowd's are disproportionately corporate and much more bandwaggony, where as the Challenge Cup final is an event for all of the rugby league community - who turn out in big numbers for this event, no matter what the tie.

What utter generalistic tosh.

Surely it can't be all that complicated to have a cut-off date for the Club Wembley seats, so if they aren't wanted by their holders, they can be sold off as a last-minute deal?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Surely it can't be all that complicated to have a cut-off date for the Club Wembley seats, so if they aren't wanted by their holders, they can be sold off as a last-minute deal?
To be fair, these people/companies have paid for the tickets, if they want to decide at the last minute, then they are well within their rights to.

Trakl makes a good point, technically these tickets have been sold, surely we could announce a full house, although it doesn't seem too honest.

Of course the the rugby league community accross the country always supports the cup final and what makes it a unique sporting event in my opinion.

But imagine if Saints v Catalans would have been the final, nowhere near as many tickets would have been sold and it would not have been a great showpiece final that RL deserves.

So is it worth the Catalans entering? A showpiece isn't just about the attendance, it's also down to the quality of the match. A full stadium could witness a dour final.

To be fair, these people/companies have paid for the tickets, if they want to decide at the last minute, then they are well within their rights to.

Trakl makes a good point, technically these tickets have been sold, surely we could announce a full house, although it doesn't seem too honest.

Spot on. These tickets/sponsorship helped to co-fund Wembley

The 17k Club Wembley tickets have been paid for over the first 10 years, after which I believe that middle tier will go on general sale. So effectivly even if no-one turned up, the crowd would be 17k

Therefore it should be posted as 90k attendance. This is exctly what Union must do

The 17k Club Wembley tickets have been paid for over the first 10 years, after which I believe that middle tier will go on general sale. So effectivly even if no-one turned up, the crowd would be 17k

Therefore it should be posted as 90k attendance. This is exctly what Union must do

I'm interested, how would you cope in a stadium that is neither square nor close to the pitch like Wembley?

Edited by hindle xiii

Great to see an 'offical' sell out.

As for Club Wembley, I know I have been offerred them at work from a couple of agencies who are licensed to re-sell so it would appear there may well be the odd gap, altho my work have used ours up! A bit of a shame but like someone else said companies have paid for these so are within their rights to use/not use as they wish.

Its all warming up to be a cracker - withe Leeds recent injuries I reckon (hope!!) Wire might sneak it.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I suppose so, but could there be a system where those who know they are definitely not attending can notify Wembley, so their seats can be made available.

Maybe it's too much fuss to organise, but the empty blocks of seats at every Wembley event is an annoyance.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why?

Generalising that an RU crowd (you don't specify where so it looks like you're talking about the whole game) is mainly or disproportionately corporate and full bandwagon jumpers. Thats why.

The point I made had nothing to do with codes of football or any other sport in fact.

It was about supporters who only bother with big games and yes this can be rugby league, cricket, rugby union, soccer.

That puts something of a different slant on Wasps' 40k attendances for their Wembley showcase matches, no? Take away the 17,000 and you have a much less reportable figure. :lol:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Generalising that an RU crowd (you don't specify where so it looks like you're talking about the whole game) is mainly or disproportionately corporate and full bandwagon jumpers. Thats why.

The point I made had nothing to do with codes of football or any other sport in fact.

It was about supporters who only bother with big games and yes this can be rugby league, cricket, rugby union, soccer.

Was this your caucasian moment.

"Union" can't do that. Nobody is permitted to in fact for reasons of insurance and health & safety guidelines.

In a modern stadium, the numbers are calculated in real-time as each ticket is scanned at entry points.

The official figure (not a rounded-off figure you might see in a news article) will be an actual number of tickets scanned.

I will be there courtesy of a corporate - and although counting myself a Wire fan, I've only seen them live twice in the last two seasons - last year at Wembley and last year in Barcelona. Does that mean I'll enjoy the game any less than somebody who goes to HJ 20 times a season - absolutley not! And despite being only a very occasional attendee does it stop me promoting TGG at every single opportunity to the ignorant sporting fans here in the Midlands - hell no :D But I may wave my prawn sandwich in your general direction.....

Yes, the thread had been about big games, so my comment was focused on these - I thought that would have been obvious, but I apologise if not.

I agree with Dave T's point about glory supporters coming out - it happens from every club in every sport and will never change.

My comments related to the other 'half' of the crowd. In rugby this is mostly made up of fans of other clubs who come to the big occasion, no matter who's playing. In union, a much higher proportion of the extras are guests corporates.

I'm not actually criticising either code for this - one suggests a stronger community within the game and the other makes much, much more money. I know which I'm happier liking, but I accept that doesn't pay the bills.

People called Romans they go the house

I suppose so, but could there be a system where those who know they are definitely not attending can notify Wembley, so their seats can be made available.

Maybe it's too much fuss to organise, but the empty blocks of seats at every Wembley event is an annoyance.

I believe that can and does happen, and I agree that it is frustrating, especially when thousands of fans have had to sit up in the Gods because these prime seats aren't being used.