24/7/26 - Featherstone Rovers vs Bradford Bulls - The £500,000 Game

You simply cannot comprehend the importance of Sunday. Defeat is unthinkable; to miss out on the top four and £500,000 less in central funding from the RFL would raise serious questions over the club's ability to remain as a FT outfit.

Regardless of whether Bradford somehow scrape into the Top 4 (which is out of their hands now) or suffer the humiliation of dropping into the Championship Shield,

I don't see anywhere near as many people renewing their season tickets at the high prices next season.

It's a well known fact that Bradford's season ticket prices are the third highest in the country (only Hull FC and St Helens are more expensive).

When you consider the amount of money the club is spending on the playing and coaching staff compared to those part time clubs around them, the situation the club find itself in is nothing short of disappointing.

Sunday is Bradfords biggest game in their history imo, lose and miss T4 without a money man to step means a complete restructure of the club

This is exactly the train of thought that I'm feeling.

The game at Leigh on Sunday is bigger than Hull KR away in 1992, all the Grand Finals and last year's million pound game put together.

Sunday is Bradfords biggest game in their history imo, lose and miss T4 without a money man to step means a complete restructure of the club

Nope.  It's the other three that are.  Unless you're expecting Fax to beat both Leigh and London.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Why has it come to this though? Wasn't yesterday's game just as important? With the knowledge that we had a game against Leigh next, the game against Fax was arguably the more winnable before kick off and the advantage of being at home (although home form has been patchy this year) - and the boost of knowing that Fev had lost on Friday, a win yesterday would have given us a fighting chance and the buffer of a likely loss to Leigh this week.

No doubt the Bulls will raise their game this week as they always seem to against Leigh (although very doubtful we'll get a result)- but for some reason they are incapable of putting in the hard yards against Fax, Dewsbury, Sheffield, Batley et al. I wouldn't put all the eggs in the basket of Sunday, I'd suggest last day of the season at Fev will be the real "big one", should we even still be in the mix by then.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Nope.  It's the other three that are.  Unless you're expecting Fax to beat both Leigh and London.

Should we win on Sunday I would encourage players to be rested for the 8's as we would only need one win to secure top spot. Fax will be a very physical game with potential flash points going off recent games - something we cant afford to risk before the 8's imo

Agree with AA, except that they should have been busting a gut to win every single game a long time before yesterday.

I do agree with that - from our POV the Dewsbury game was a comedy of errors and you thought lessons may have been learnt, but apparently not.

The most damning thing seems to be, Leigh aside, we haven't really put in a competent performance against anyone in the top half of the table - London at home maybe? - despite scraping a few wins along the way. Team spirit seems to be completely dead, all anyone has to do is run at us with a bit of enthusiasm and we collapse. Injuries take a toll, yes, but there is no point having such a deep squad if it is full of rubbish.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

Why has it come to this though? Wasn't yesterday's game just as important? With the knowledge that we had a game against Leigh next, the game against Fax was arguably the more winnable before kick off and the advantage of being at home (although home form has been patchy this year) - and the boost of knowing that Fev had lost on Friday, a win yesterday would have given us a fighting chance and the buffer of a likely loss to Leigh this week.

No doubt the Bulls will raise their game this week as they always seem to against Leigh (although very doubtful we'll get a result)- but for some reason they are incapable of putting in the hard yards against Fax, Dewsbury, Sheffield, Batley et al. I wouldn't put all the eggs in the basket of Sunday, I'd suggest last day of the season at Fev will be the real "big one", should we even still be in the mix by then.

It's all on Sunday. Lose and it's all over. So sad.

Should we win on Sunday I would encourage players to be rested for the 8's as we would only need one win to secure top spot. Fax will be a very physical game with potential flash points going off recent games - something we cant afford to risk before the 8's imo

Good job you`re not the coach!

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

You simply cannot comprehend the importance of Sunday. Tto miss out on the top four and £500,000 less in central funding from the RFL would raise serious questions over the club's ability to remain as a FT outfit.

When you consider the amount of money the club is spending on the playing and coaching staff compared to those part time clubs around them, the situation the club find itself in is nothing short of disappointing.

Understandably

Why has it come to this though?

for some reason they are incapable of putting in the hard yards against Fax, Dewsbury, Sheffield, Batley et al. 

Maybe they realise their jobs are on the line

I thought they might have pulled their finger out again but obviously not. It's probably worse than getting relegated from SL as it really does mean part time 

Which means these lads jobs are on the line, and looking around there doesn't seem like much alternative employment for them..

Tremendous pressure to play under i'd guess??

The game at Leigh on Sunday is bigger than .......last year's million pound game.

How come?

If you'd have won that you'd be a Superleague club paying full Superleague cap. 

You simply cannot comprehend the importance of Sunday. to miss out on the top four to miss out on the top four and £500,000 less  would raise serious questions over the club's ability to remain as a FT outfit.

I don't see anywhere near as many people renewing their season tickets at the high prices next season.

It's a well known fact that Bradford's season ticket prices are the third highest in the country

Well it looks like if the fans want a roof over their heads then they can pay for it.

If they want a decent team on the pitch they can pay for that too.

The "quick return" to Superleague clubs like Huddersfield, Salford and Castleford had Davy, Wilkinson and Fulton writing the cheques,

It seems to me the only cheques your lot have had written is the prize money cheques courtesy of SKY TV.

You and your colleagues may want to blame your coaching staff and players, but it would seem the real problem is a lack of investment from the chairman, whom you predict will react to any shortfall in funding a pro-outfit by going part time - but that cat was let out of the bag by Jimmy Lowes last year.

If he's there just to manage decline why not look towards being a supporters run club Mick, You understand the way the finances work.

Lack of investment? We have a large full time squad.

Paid for by SKY money from fans high season ticket prices, parachute payments and prize money.

As Mick says once/if that goes it's "part time" so where is there any evidence your chairman invests in the club like Messrs Fulton, Wilkinson and Davey did in similar circumstances?

I can't see any, and clearly Mick doesn't. He may as well be your chairman.

As a Leigh fan could I please state that I want a strong Bulls team performing on the pitch, finishing in a position that would mean them missing out on prize monies for funding next season should not happen, and by saying that I do not wish to decry another other club of the opportunity to do so.

The games I look forward to the most are Bulls, Fax, Fev and the Eagles (hope they can also resurge) as these teams seem to trouble Leigh the most - not taking anything away from Batley's performances this season.

I hope I am wrong, but with the strength of the clubs we are likely to playing from the SL I do consider we will be performing against these same Championship clubs next season, in the same division.

I also hope Sweaty is wrong by implying we will assist Fax by not fielding our best team against them, I pay my money and I want to see the best game possible.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

It's not though is it. And if we think it is then it will be.

If we lose on Sunday and Halifax/Batley win their respected games at Swinton/Whitehaven we'll be 3 points adrift of the top four with three games to go and with Featherstone & Halifax/London & Batley still to play each other it's absolutely cataclysmic to realise we'd miss out on the top four.

Spending well over a £1,000,000 on the playing budget whilst Batley are spending £175,000.

Lack of investment? We have a large full time squad.

Largely paid for by the £780,000 Sky money we received for finishing second last year.

If we finish 5th or 6th this term that figure drops to £225,000.

Who or where is the £500,000 shortfall coming from?

If we lose on Sunday and Halifax/Batley win their respected games at Swinton/Whitehaven we'll be 3 points adrift of the top four with three games to go and with Batley & Halifax still to play each other it's absolutely cataclysmic to realise we'd miss out on the top four.

Spending well over a £1,000,000 on the playing budget whilst Batley are spending £175,000.

Sorry to be pedantic, but Batley have already completed the double over Halifax this season.

As a Batley supporter, I am delighted that we are competing so well this season, and could possibly break into the top 4. However, I recognise the potential dangers of Bradford not competing and failing to reach at least 4th and ultimately having to go PT. If this happens, it weakens the game as a whole.

The figure above, that suggests that Bradford are spending over £1000000 on their playing budget, is surely not true! Can that be verified?

Maybe they realise their jobs are on the line

Which means these lads jobs are on the line, and looking around there doesn't seem like much alternative employment for them..

Tremendous pressure to play under i'd guess??

I don't buy that the Bulls players were feeling the pressure of their jobs being on the line and that's why they were losing to Halifax and Sheffield in the first two months of the season. If they are then maybe they shouldn't be professional sports people. Bradford being unwilling to dig in and out enthused by the opposition is a trait that has hounded the team since we've been relegated, not just the past two games.

SQL Honours

The figure above, that suggests that Bradford are spending over £1000000 on their plating budget, is surely not true! Can that be verified?

Haven't heard anyone at the club say it, but it was reported in the local paper when we played Batley the other week.

SQL Honours

As a Leigh fan could I please state that I want a strong Bulls team performing on the pitch, finishing in a position that would mean them missing out on prize monies for funding next season should not happen, and by saying that I do not wish to decry another other club of the opportunity to do so.

The games I look forward to the most are Bulls, Fax, Fev and the Eagles (hope they can also resurge) as these teams seem to trouble Leigh the most - not taking anything away from Batley's performances this season.

I hope I am wrong, but with the strength of the clubs we are likely to playing from the SL I do consider we will be performing against these same Championship clubs next season, in the same division.

I also hope Sweaty is wrong by implying we will assist Fax by not fielding our best team against them, I pay my money and I want to see the best game possible.

I'm not buying any of the conspiracy theories about Leigh and London easing up for their final three games once they've secured their place in the top two.

Haven't heard anyone at the club say it, but it was reported in the local paper when we played Batley the other week.

It's been mentioned in the Telegraph & Argus.

John Kear also after the Bulldogs win at Sheffield said that Batley are spending one sixth of what Bradford are spending.

My main worry is who is going to fund the potential £500,000 black hole at the end of the season?

I'm not buying any of the conspiracy theories about Leigh and London easing up for their final three games once they've secured their place in the top two.

Don't think it will be a case of easing up, but would expect to see some fringe players get a run out. But only 1 or 2, not wholesale changes. 

Archived