Thornton Expecting Tough Test

Dons News

<p>Doncaster Rugby League head coach Gary Thornton spoke to the official website ahead of Saturday’s clash with London Skolars.</p>

<p>The Dons are looking to follow up their biggest win of the season against South Wales Scorpions last time out with a win at the New River Stadium.</p>

<p>Thornton though is expecting the Skolars to be a difficult proposition though.</p>

<p>“London are pretty hard to beat on their own ground, they have had some good wins against Barrow and Keighley down there.</p>

<p>“We are under no illusions it is going to be a really tough game, we have already slipped up against them in the iPro Sport Cup when they beat us  at home and we will be looking to avenge that.</p>

<p>“At the time we played them I felt we had a lot of improvement to come from us and we had a lot of key players missing that day.</p>

<p>“The side we have now compared to the side we had that day is considerably different, certainly the pivots of Jordie Hedges and Jordan Howden will make a huge difference and we have had a few more weeks playing together as a team, so I think there has been a huge improvement from when we last played them</p>

<p>“The most important thing for us is to go down there and play as we know how we can play and come back with two points.</p>

<p>The Dons had a bye last weekend in the division, but Thornton deosn’t necessarily see that as an advantage and also revealed some team news ahead of the clash.</p>

<p>“It would have been nice to keep the momentum going, I think we would have preferred a fixture if I’m honest.</p>

<p>“However having said that Jason Tali picked up a thumb injury and we were hoping  with the week off he might have been fit to play, but unfortunately he isn’t going to be.</p>

<p>“He has got a small fracture in his left thumb so he is going to be missing for us for a couple of weeks.</p>

<p>“In an ideal world when you are winning games, you want to keep the momentum going and at this particular point in the season I feel it would have been nice to have a fixture and keep it going.</p>

<p>“Joe Pickets-O’Donnell and Connor Scott both come back into the squad, they had some game time with Hull FC under 23’s which benefited them.</p>

<p>“Makali Aizue is unavailable, he is on compassionate leave and Zac Braham has picked up a back injury.</p>

<p>“But with Joe and Connor coming in that has covered those two omissions, so we are reasonably healthy and not in a bad position injury wise.”</p>

View the full article

Archived