how good is this

brilliant footage from 109 years ago........

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

double post

Edited by Viking Warrior

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

the willows hasn't changed since 1901 has it????

I like the bit where he says that the crowd looked larger than that reported. Tax fiddling even then perhaps? :D:D

The game really was unstructured back then and heavily reliant on scrums. No wonder RU reckons its the pure form the game, they're still doing it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

This was in the years between the abolition of the ruck and maul and the introduction of the play-the-ball. Every tackle resulted in a scrum. Watch how fast they form the scrums though.

The Mitchell and Kenyon stuff is brilliant, they made a point of doing crowd shots so that they could get people to come and pay to watch themselves later. The behaviour of people when they see some form of film/tv camera hasn't changed in over 100 years.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This was in the years between the abolition of the ruck and maul and the introduction of the play-the-ball. Every tackle resulted in a scrum. Watch how fast they form the scrums though.

The Mitchell and Kenyon stuff is brilliant, they made a point of doing crowd shots so that they could get people to come and pay to watch themselves later. The behaviour of people when they see some form of film/tv camera hasn't changed in over 100 years.

I went to the screening of the Mitchell and Kenyon NU stuff at the National Media Museum about four years ago - it was great.

It must be unique to be able to see how a game was actually played over 100 years ago. There's plenty of soccer stuff on Mitchell and Kenyon but I don't think the basic game of soccer has changed as much as RL has from those days.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I went to the screening of the Mitchell and Kenyon NU stuff at the National Media Museum about four years ago - it was great.

It must be unique to be able to see how a game was actually played over 100 years ago. There's plenty of soccer stuff on Mitchell and Kenyon but I don't think the basic game of soccer has changed as much as RL has from those days.

I have a feeling that the only significant changes to the rules since the formation of the football league in 1888 are the creation of the penalty area, where the goalkeeper can handle the ball and the backpass. All the major changes took place between 1863 and 1888. Not sure when offside became settled though and any changes to that have been 'interpretation' rather a change to the law.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Oi VW, that sig is just toooooooooooooo long ;)

it's not my fault that we have won so many trophies :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I was in Greece when they did the screening, I was well p!$$ed off at missing it.

In the Mitchell and Kenyon TV series I think they showed an NU game and a Man U (or whatever they were called then) game, there was no ###### watching the soccer but the rugby was packed.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I have a feeling that the only significant changes to the rules since the formation of the football league in 1888 are the creation of the penalty area, where the goalkeeper can handle the ball and the backpass. All the major changes took place between 1863 and 1888. Not sure when offside became settled though and any changes to that have been 'interpretation' rather a change to the law.

You mean the 18 yard (or 16.452 m) line :lol:

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Sorry to follow you off topic, but what happened before the penalty area? Where could the keeper handle the ball?

Sorry to follow you off topic, but what happened before the penalty area? Where could the keeper handle the ball?

I know that at one time in soccer an out field player was allowed to make "a fair catch" catch of the ball and call for a mark. And a free kick.

Clement Attlee.

I know that at one time in soccer an out field player was allowed to make "a fair catch" catch of the ball and call for a mark. And a free kick.

I think after the mark and fair catch was done away with a player could still use his hands to block the ball and knock it to ground.

there were some real sharp dressers in the crowd billycock hats and velvet collared overcoats

that main stand at Oldham is the only bit of stadium infrastructure that I can recall seeing

also is that Goldthorpe at the right of the team shots at the start of the Hunslet film

fascinating stuff. Lots of period detail.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

there were some real sharp dressers in the crowd billycock hats and velvet collared overcoats

that main stand at Oldham is the only bit of stadium infrastructure that I can recall seeing

also is that Goldthorpe at the right of the team shots at the start of the Hunslet film

Is it Oldham then? I thought with the steep terracing it must be Fartown

Clement Attlee.

I think during the shots of the crowd at the hunslet game I can see you having a cal with parksider :lol:

I think during the shots of the crowd at the hunslet game I can see you having a cal with parksider :lol:

No he will have been checking out the bogs for light bulbs and paper.

Edited by Millman

Is it Oldham then? I thought with the steep terracing it must be Fartown

you might be right Troj.

But it seems strongly remeniscent of that main stnd at Watersheddings to me.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Trying to find that out - I have a feeling it was anywhere on the field for a time but that he was the only player who could do this. The first goals appear not to have had crossbars either.

Anyway, I now have dates for a couple of other things soccer-wise: offside in its modern form came into being but with three players not two in 1866 before being revised down to two in 1925; penalty kicks were introduced in 1891. The only change to the rules since 1925 has been the introduction of substitutes and outlawing a deliberate backpass to the goalkeeper.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was in Greece when they did the screening, I was well p!$$ed off at missing it.

In the Mitchell and Kenyon TV series I think they showed an NU game and a Man U (or whatever they were called then) game, there was no ###### watching the soccer but the rugby was packed.

They were called Manchester United. They had changed names from Newton Heath that year 1901. My claim to fame is that my Grandfather Jack Banks played for them and is shown in the film. He was bought from WBA, played 34 times and scored 1 goal before being transferred to Plymouth Argyle in 1903

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow