I think Trent Robinson is right. NRL refs are poor

I give you John Sutton and Tony Archer

John Sutton plays for Souths. I'm not aware of any attempts he has ever made to ref a game.

Thus far your statements are:

- "The NRL think they have the best refs they don't."

- "They are certainly not in the NRL."

- "I give you John Sutton and Tony Archer" (neither of whom is currently a ref.)

So, I'll repeat my (and Pbach's) question: Where are the best referees? They must be somewhere. You seem very clear on where they aren't but extremely vague on where they are. Since SL and NRL are both constantly looking for high quality referees, why not share your information with the people who need to know it?

-

John Sutton plays for Souths. I'm not aware of any attempts he has ever made to ref a game.

Thus far your statements are:

- "The NRL think they have the best refs they don't."

- "They are certainly not in the NRL."

- "I give you John Sutton and Tony Archer" (neither of whom is currently a ref.)

So, I'll repeat my (and Pbach's) question: Where are the best referees? They must be somewhere. You seem very clear on where they aren't but extremely vague on where they are. Since SL and NRL are both constantly looking for high quality referees, why not share your information with the people who need to know it?

-

So you honestly believe that the NRL has the best refs

Cast you mind back to the 4 nations of 2014 when Gerard Sutton was the match ref and his brother Bernard was the video ref and Bernard dosallowed a perfectly good try by Ryan Hall, then instead of starting the game again as per agreed rules Gerard then starts the game with a NRL rule, which killied the remaining time as the ball was meant to go dead.

So you honestly believe that the NRL has the best refs

Cast you mind back to the 4 nations of 2014 when Gerard Sutton was the match ref and his brother Bernard was the video ref and Bernard dosallowed a perfectly good try by Ryan Hall, then instead of starting the game again as per agreed rules Gerard then starts the game with a NRL rule, which killied the remaining time as the ball was meant to go dead.

Where did I say the NRL has the best refs? I didn't.

You've used words like "have" instead of had and said "they are certainly not," both present tense. Your reference to something that happened 2 years ago doesn't support your original contention nor does it support your infantile attempts at rebutting any points raised by others nor does it answer the simple question: Where are the best referees?

Where did I say the NRL has the best refs? I didn't.

You've used words like "have" instead of had and said "they are certainly not," both present tense. Your reference to something that happened 2 years ago doesn't support your original contention nor does it support your infantile attempts at rebutting any points raised by others nor does it answer the simple question: Where are the best referees?

Well they are not in the so they must be in Super League.

Best ask Trent Robinson he's coached in both comps so would know far more than than me and you.

Well they are not in the so they must be in Super League.

Best ask Trent Robinson he's coached in both comps so would know far more than than me and you.

Thank you. At last you've answered a simple question. It only took you 5 posts. I eagerly anticipate all your posts congratulating the SL refs for their outstanding performances.

I didn't ask Trent Robinson because he's not the one posting here nor is he the one who said, "The NRL think they have the best refs they don't."

Oh dear you have to quote the lanuage of the gutter to make your point.

Shame your vocabulary isn't broader.

The vocab of the gutter is useful in certain circumstances. Besides, I don't know your "lanuage."

I agree 100% with Robinson on this one, The NRL refs are appalling and I personally think SL has the wood on the NRL in this area.

The Match Officials both in the NRL and SL are not good, but I think much of the problem is lies with the people in charge of them, rather than the match officials. The obstruction rule is a joke for one for me. Also the obsession to look at everything in slowmo and look for anything is ridiculous. The Video Ref can help but the way its used is just wrong and Refs are frightened to make a decision at times. Personally we need to get rid of the video Ref and Bunker. Look to simplify the game and get better man management skills out to match officials and get some consistant decisions out there. Its a lottery at times. Some Match officials, like Ben Cummins yesterday was rude and arrogant and would not once explain anything to Jake Friend. A captain is trying his best for his team and sometimes its frustrating when match officials allow certain things and other times not. I think the inconsistant calls and the way the video Ref/Bunker is used causes more problems than anything. Tony Archer I didnt like as a Ref and I dont think he doing that great a job as Refs boss. 

Some Match officials, like Ben Cummins yesterday was rude and arrogant and would not once explain anything to Jake Friend.

Not true. I clearly heard him tell Friend 2 or 3 times what a penalty was for and Friend just kept asking the same question. There's a difference between ignoring someone and refusing to waste time arguing with someone.

Couple of things I've noticed in the NRL.  First thing is that in recent weeks Refs seem to have been awarding more tries without reference to the screen.  I'm not sure if this is a conscious thing, but it's an improvement on going to the screen for virtually every decision.

Secondly there is much less scrutiny of decisions for the TV audience.  Over here decisions are replayed over and over from loads of different angles.  It's clear that while the game progresses there is someone in the background reviewing an incident and then bringing it to screen a bit later on.  This undermines the referee.  In the NRL this doesn't seem to happen at all, or incredibly rarely.  My theory is the ad breaks don't allow for it.  Our live coverage on Premier Sports only has adverts at half time, so we can hear the local commentary refer to the break.

For me the NRL referees are perfectly ok.  The problem comes when there's international competition.

Two things to sort out in the NRL:

1. Head contact in the tackle (largely ignored)

2. Obstruction rulings (where the technical application of the rule is correct but the game sense isn't)

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Look everyone knows all refs are rubbish and biased. The Home and away teams and coaches know this as well as the home and away fans. At best their decisions are questionable and at worst wrong or biased. They apply rules when it suits and ignore them when it doesn't! They're only on the pitch to make pretend it's fair and above board. Name a referee go on! No I'll do it for you....

Phil Bentham, rubbish James Child biased

Pick any ref you like and ask people's opinions and the picture will become clear!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Can somebody provide a link to Robinson criticising the quality of the refs in the years when the Roosters where winning the minor premiership please.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Can somebody provide a link to Robinson criticising the quality of the refs in the years when the Roosters where winning the minor premiership please.

I can't find the link but I'm sure he said they were all rubbish! ;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Reading the article posted in the first post... it seemed to me a lot of the coaches commentary relates to what one may call play acting by the opposition.   This for sure makes it difficult for a ref... that is having to also try and recognize dishonesty in a game we have in the past been proud of RL players approach to the game.   

I have seen a lot of "play acting" for penalties over here... it is something creeping into the game and I don't blame ref's. They should not have to arbitrate on lots of play acting.  It lies firmly at coaches and players.

One thing I also hate to hear is like the commentary yer get in soccer... that is that we need ref's that know the game, i.e. played the game at the according level. In other words able to distinguish the play acting from reality.  Again its sad we have to have such need because of the dishonesty of players and coaches.

Its hard enough being a ref.   I actually would prefer if sometimes ref collectively just said sorry we are not reffing this week or next until yer get off our backs.

Archived