Which clubs are most at risk of losing their licences?

Who's off to NL1?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 :)

• Catalans
    • Castleford
    • Crusaders
    • Quins RL
    • Huddersfield
    • Hull KR
    • Salford
    • Wakefield
    • Bradford - lolz

I seem to remember last year when Crusaders announced they were going to Wrexham, there was a huge outcry from Widnes fans about it. The local MP Derek Branch (or something like that) even got in on the act complaining that a team in Wrexham would take fans and sponsors away from Widnes. Apparently Wrexham is virtually a suburb of Widnes, with only Chester in between them. Of course it didn't make much difference as the 2 teams are in different divisions.

Surely, if Widnes apply for a Super League licence, the Crusaders would be well within their rights to complain about another team in SL so close to themselves. It would surely be unfair on an expansion team trying to develop its own sponsor and fan base. If it wasn't for the Widnes fans bringing this to the attention of the world no one would've noticed. So on geographic grounds, Widnes should not be allowed in Super League.

As no-one else from the Championship qualifies to apply for a licence, I'd say Wakefield, Castleford and Salford fans can breathe easy. Nowt to worry about lads. ;)

Hilarious and as per usual a pack of lies. Funnily enough not only Widnes fans noticed that Wrexham was 30 miles away from the heartlands. Not everybody is as ignorant as you.

Derek Twigg wasn't simply moaning about fans and sponsors more the fact that the RFL had allowed a club to fail and them move to the other end of the country without having their license revoked. Especially when a team like Widnes had been left out due to financial arrears. It made a mockery of the licensing system and although most fans would be pretty happy with it now it doesn't change that fact.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious and as per usual a pack of lies. Funnily enough not only Widnes fans noticed that Wrexham was 30 miles away from the heartlands. Not everybody is as ignorant as you.

Derek Twigg wasn't simply moaning about fans and sponsors more the fact that the RFL had allowed a club to fail and them move to the other end of the country without having their license revoked. Especially when a team like Widnes had been left out due to financial arrears. It made a mockery of the licensing system and although most fans would be pretty happy with it now it doesn't change that fact.

Definitely a sock puppet this one. Probably Parksider again.

My apologies. Maybe I should have made it a bit clearer that I was trying to be mildly amusing. I thought my reference to Derek Branch might've given the game away...

Neither was it an 'attack on Widnes' as stated elsewhere. I really hope Widnes get promoted. I quite like the town. Some of my best friends come from Widnes... (Actually they don't, they all come from Runcorn :lol: )

Can I pick up on a couple of points here about the RFL allowing a club to fail. Unlike Widnes, Crusaders didn't go into administration. Strictly speaking, other than the 6 guys on dodgy visas, they didn't do anything against the RFL rules.

You also make the point about Crusaders moving. Am I right to assume that, at the time, you think they should've had their licence revoked for this?

What would happen if David Hughes pulled out of Harlequins and, say for example, someone took over on the proviso they could move the club to Milton Keynes. Do you turn round and say 'Sorry, no can do' and throw them out of SL? Or do you accept that for the club to continue it may be the only way to go?

The only problem I had with the whole thing was Widnes fans trying to link their clubs non-appearance in Super League with the Crusaders. Widnes were not allowed in purely because they put themselves into administration. Crusaders promotion had nothing to do with it. Although full credit to the club who have kept a dignified silence through the whole thing.

Can I pick up on a couple of points here about the RFL allowing a club to fail. Unlike Widnes, Crusaders didn't go into administration. Strictly speaking, other than the 6 guys on dodgy visas, they didn't do anything against the RFL rules.

You also make the point about Crusaders moving. Am I right to assume that, at the time, you think they should've had their licence revoked for this?

What would happen if David Hughes pulled out of Harlequins and, say for example, someone took over on the proviso they could move the club to Milton Keynes. Do you turn round and say 'Sorry, no can do' and throw them out of SL? Or do you accept that for the club to continue it may be the only way to go?

The only problem I had with the whole thing was Widnes fans trying to link their clubs non-appearance in Super League with the Crusaders. Widnes were not allowed in purely because they put themselves into administration. Crusaders promotion had nothing to do with it. Although full credit to the club who have kept a dignified silence through the whole thing.

yes never understood this.. anyone with half a brain new that the crusaders were going to get in.. Widnes were up against Slaford, Cas and Wakey for the other spot and it was only finance that stopped them as far as i can see, its those 3 that are lucky and Widnes would have replaced one of them but it was never Widnes v Crusaders, they expanded to 14 and one of htose was always going to be the Crusaders. in the same way IMHO if they had said that this time round it was going to 16 then Tolouse may as well have quite for the year and just started building for super league.

BTW i thought it was quite an ausing post.

Edited by RP London

I have a sinking feeling about Crusaders mainly based on our past form with expansion as a game and the rumours surrounding Brian Noble, linked to Worcestor if the papers are to be believed, whilst he has his critics I'd have thought they'd have been looking to keep him on as they build for the future if all was well.

If Brian Noble does leave I would like to see Iestyn Harris given an opportunity. He is Welsh and has done an excellent job with the Welsh team last year (European Champions) and has done well as assistant coach at Crusaders in an attacking role.

For the system to be in any way credible then of course it should have been revoked. We ask clubs to put forward detailed applications that include projections based on their current location. In allowing the club to move they made a farce of this as almost none of their initial application is now based on their current situation. How can you morally exclude one club specifically criticising them for making predictions based on a previous administration at the same location, but justify another clubs continued inclusion that didn't even know it would be moving in 1 years.

Now whether this is right for Rugby League or not is an entirely separate matter. If they were so concerned with this they shouldn't have set up the licensing process in the first place. If they are just going to include whoever they want regardless of what happens then why bother? All they are doing is infuriating genuine fans who see a massive double standard being applied.

As for final point the licensing system was not set up in this way. Crusaders were the weakest application and were weaker than Widnes. This is of course why they were the target for disgruntled fans.

yes never understood this.. anyone with half a brain new that the crusaders were going to get in.. Widnes were up against Slaford, Cas and Wakey for the other spot and it was only finance that stopped them as far as i can see, its those 3 that are lucky and Widnes would have replaced one of them but it was never Widnes v Crusaders, they expanded to 14 and one of htose was always going to be the Crusaders. in the same way IMHO if they had said that this time round it was going to 16 then Tolouse may as well have quite for the year and just started building for super league.

Nonsense. Just because we knew they would be included, I personally posted tens of times stating that they would definitely be included, doesn't make it somehow right.

Why bother having a licensing system if there are certain things that trump everything?

For the system to be in any way credible then of course it should have been revoked. We ask clubs to put forward detailed applications that include projections based on their current location. In allowing the club to move they made a farce of this as almost none of their initial application is now based on their current situation. How can you morally exclude one club specifically criticising them for making predictions based on a previous administration at the same location, but justify another clubs continued inclusion that didn't even know it would be moving in 1 years.

Now whether this is right for Rugby League or not is an entirely separate matter. If they were so concerned with this they shouldn't have set up the licensing process in the first place. If they are just going to include whoever they want regardless of what happens then why bother? All they are doing is infuriating genuine fans who see a massive double standard being applied.

As for final point the licensing system was not set up in this way. Crusaders were the weakest application and were weaker than Widnes. This is of course why they were the target for disgruntled fans.

Firstly, whether Crusaders application was weaker than the one put in by Widnes is merely a matter of opinion. Widnes' application would not have been considered, simply because they had gone into administration. In all honesty they could've wrote anything in it, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. But, as an opinion, I agree with you. Indeed the Widnes application would've been stronger than at least 4 other clubs. It was just a matter of bad timing which will be rectified in March next year.

All this leads me to ask, can the RFL revoke a club's licence? It would appear not, but surely if a club entered administration they would have to be relegated. Are there any other reasons why it might happen?

Firstly, whether Crusaders application was weaker than the one put in by Widnes is merely a matter of opinion. Widnes' application would not have been considered, simply because they had gone into administration. In all honesty they could've wrote anything in it, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. But, as an opinion, I agree with you. Indeed the Widnes application would've been stronger than at least 4 other clubs. It was just a matter of bad timing which will be rectified in March next year.

All this leads me to ask, can the RFL revoke a club's licence? It would appear not, but surely if a club entered administration they would have to be relegated. Are there any other reasons why it might happen?

They could revoke a license if they wanted to. The fact that licenses are supposedly based on so many factors would make the idea that a club could move almost ludicrous.

The point is that they do what they want regardless of any licensing system.

Nonsense. Just because we knew they would be included, I personally posted tens of times stating that they would definitely be included, doesn't make it somehow right.

Why bother having a licensing system if there are certain things that trump everything?

which bit of the process was unclear.. A and B liscences get in, C liscences are further scrutinized. this was always happening, it was said in all the documentation and was said all over the shows etc about it.

The point i was making with crusadres is tha they were adding 2 teams to the compeition, to do thi they needed more money, where was this new money coming from, Sky, where are they basing this on.. an extended catchment... Wales. as such one was put aside for them, and yes it does make it right.. if this hadnt happened we would be back to 12 clubs at which point widnes still wouldnt have got in..

part of the liscencing system is also there to make sure the game develops as such things will trump others more that is obvious..

as i say my point is that widnes did not lose out to wales.. they were in... they lost out to umpteen other heartlands clubs caused by their finances.. Wales was not the issue.

Edited by RP London

Is Oldham in Wales now ? :rolleyes:

No but his family is very welsh, with a grandfather who played for welsh ru national side. I'm always bumping into people with english accents but you try telling them they're not welsh.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

No but his family is very welsh, with a grandfather who played for welsh ru national side. I'm always bumping into people with english accents but you try telling them they're not welsh.

If he was born and raised in England then he's English, end of.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance they will kick two out..........

Regardless of the rest of the criteria for entering super league, if you go on appearing in a final or winning the NRC, only Batley, Widnes, Barrow and HAlifax, plus Toulouse who are now exempt from the criteria (amazing!) can apply.

Batley wont apply, Toulouse and Widnes are definite shoe ins and the RFL have been dying to get a cumbrian side in there too, so Barrow could also be in the mix.

The only sides under threat in super league are saints (no way will they let them go down, hence the move to widnes til the stadiums built) Salford, Cas, Wakey and Hull KR, i would add harlequins and crusaders to that list but the RFL will not turn their back on the "development" club farce they have created.

Whatever happens, Wakefield or Cas, or possibly both will almost certainly be coming to join the championship party!

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

The RFL have been dying to get a cumbrian side in there too, so Barrow could also be in the mix.

The RFL went out of their way to do a feasibility study on Cumbria and declared them unfeasible for Superleague.

Of course given your list of those who may not make the grade Cumbria could certainly be back on.

Hudgell has just spent big bucks building and opening an ambulance chasers emporium in Armley in Leeds so either that will hinder or help. To help, all HKR fans need to do to secure their club in SL is get their pavement trip claims in fast.

The latest official statement from Wakefield Trinity puts some of the half truths and inaccuracies to bed while spelling out the actual position and strength of the stadium development.

http://wakefieldwildcats.co.uk/2010/08/com...cats-statement/

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Statement

During recent weeks the club has become concerned about the number of inaccuracies being reported regarding our move to be anchor tenants at the Newmarket stadium. These inaccuracies have led to speculation amongst shareholders, sponsors and supporters and we would like to take this opportunity to confirm our position on the following points:

The Site:

The land at Newmarket covers just under 214 acres of land of which around 60 acres is being utilised for sport and leisure facilities. The land was originally part of the Newmarket colliery site which makes up 135 acres of brown belt land at the site.

Key Partners:

Colin Mackie is Managing Director of Yorkcourt Properties Limited the Developers.

Sir Rodney Walker is Chairman of the Wakefield & District Community Trust. This Trust has been formed to deliver the sport and leisure complex for the District of Wakefield. The Trust will be the owners of the Stadium once the development completes.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

It is a point often over-looked that Castleford have had outline permission for many years now for their project but still have no plans to run with for a detailed approval. I think Cas fans ought to know what has been going on for the last few years since it seems to be possible to move from one planning stage to the next in less time. the general view that Wakefield are years behind Castleford does seem to assume that the two are moving at the same pace and this might not be so.

But I still would not be suprised to see both clubs tossed at the next licencing round.