Canada Wolverines v English Lionhearts (Merged threads)

"The Canada Wolverines will have five players making there debut when they take on the English Lionhearts at Toronto’s Lamport Stadium on Saturday, August 20 at 7pm.

Making their debut for the Wolverines are British Columbia pair Kevin Gurniak and Shaun McKenzie along with Ontario’s Chuck Curran, former USA Tomahawk, Akarika Dawn, and former Jamaica Reggae Warrior, Orlando Jones.

Curran and Jones have been rewarded for their standout performances on Wednesday night against the Lionhearts, while Dawn, McKenzie and Gurniak will add strength, skill and speed to the Canadian national team.

Canada Wolverines Coach, Jamie Lester, commented, “I’m really excited to see the debutantes in action. Each one of them will bring something different to the team and collectively they will bring a new energy. We know that the Lionhearts are an extremely tough opposition that come out of the blocks fast and furious, so that first 20 minutes will be a great test of our character. I’m looking forward to seeing how we respond to that and seeing how the Canadian brand of footy stacks up against them. It should be an exciting match”.

Canada Wolverines: Kevin Gurniak, Billy Gemmell, Eddie Bilborough, Orlando Jones, Tony Felix, Nick Hails, Steve Piatek, Cam Grace, Shaun Mckenzie, Eric Moyer, Christian Miller, Akiraka Dawn, Max Smillie, Erick Alvarado, Chuck Curran, Denny McCarthy, Enoch Wamalwa

To get your tickets to the match visit; http://torontoticket.ca"

Normally a hard game with a bit of biff. The English lads giving it to the Canadians in the ruck, but generally come off worse if a fight kicks off ;)

It's going to be interesting to see how Nick Hails pairs up in the halves; Steve Piatek is a genuine talent who could mix it with the best in the right environment.  Great to see Enoch Wamalwa back in the side, he's a crowd favourite who takes some stopping.

Final score tonight 38-6 to the English Lionhearts. Hard game for the Canadian lads, difference in fitness told but they got over the line and didn't give in.

Talked to a few of the English lads and what a class bunch. Enjoyed their time over here and will no doubt have a few sore heads in the morning.

Keep going Canada,everyone starts somewhere. I think that the idea of including Toronto Wolfpack will turn out to be a step in the right direction.I think that if enough Canadians can see what rugby league has to offer to the spectator it should snowball from there.In years to come I can see a Canadian league all of its own.One the Canadian people can be proud of.Good luck for the future Canada.

I was talking with a few of the English lads after the Canada game last Saturday, one thing that seems to get overlooked in the expansion discussions is the teams themselves.  Every one of the lads I spoke to was over the top excited about the time over in Toronto; loved being here, loved the hospitality, loved the people and loved getting the basic ‘pat on the soul’ of helping an up and coming nation with Rugby League.  Indeed, there are very few things in life more satisfying than volunteering your time and helping others.

One of the best comments?  “I can’t believe how positive people are over here.  It’s ****ing great!” 

One guy who’d also been to New York on tour said Toronto was way better so I’ve no doubt word will get around about the Toronto trip.  Admittedly these guys were here for a week, the teams next year perhaps four days, but it will definitely be something highly anticipated.

I don't believe anything you have posted Canabull because some posters on here have said -

1. No UK semi pro will ever want to play a game outside of their local parish

2. That no UK semi-pro player will ever have enough time to apply for a passport/visa to go to Canada

3. That no UK semi pro player will be able to take any leave from work even if they are given 6 months notice of the visit

4. That no UK semi-pro team will ever be able to make sure that all players will be able to get transport to a central point for a meet up prior to going to the airport

5. That no UK semi-pro CL1 team can afford to visit there even though it is a free trip

6. That no UK semi-pro player will consider the visit a trip of a lifetime but rather see it as an inconvenience due to points 1-5

7. AND FINALLY, no UK semi-pro player will ever say 'I can't believe how positive people are over here. It's ****ing great!'

So I must ask you to retract your post and give an apology to all those that fervently believe in points 1-6 above.

On a day where most of the Rugby League world, apart from perhaps the BBC, is concentrating on the occasion when Hull FC bring home the Challenge Cup to Yorkshire ;) today also marks the day that the Canada Young Wolverines (U23’s) play their first game in Toronto, against the England Young Lions.

The Young Lions are also here on a week long tour, culminating in their game against the full Ontario side next week.

Tonight many of the Young Wolverines can stake a claim to their full Wolverines places for the upcoming games against the USA Hawks and the South Wales Scorpions.  Included are current Wolverine prop Erick Alvarado and second row Duncan Earl, former Wolverine winger Lukas Silver and promising second rower Colbey Franko who recently impressed with his stint in NSW Rugby League outfit the Jamberoos.

Young Wolverines Squad:

Colbey Franko

Jordon Henry

Erick Alvarado

David James Pauls

Jordan Reid-Harvey

Soloman Puckey

Austin Karius

Zach Choboter

Eligh Papin

Kelipi Gucake

Sam MacGee

Jared Curry

Joey Murphy

Aubrey Blacklaw

Noah Jensen

Duncan Earl

Christian Nonni

Lukas Silver

Dominik Witschi

As the Tour lead who took the lads to Toronto i have to say Canabull is spot on. The lads really enjoyed their time there and the rugby was much better than 2014 when we last toured there.

Went in Shoeless Joes after the game to watch the McGregor fight and most of the Canadian lads came with us. Was looked after in the Club Fiction until the early hours by the security who treated us liked celebs all in all a very successful trip which has enriched 21 players lives. The first game at Burlington was also good except we run out of light

Yep only 500.paying attendees!! and that is the part the New Canadian RL team will have to sort. They need to get more commercially minded but it is early days for Paul and the team.

Toronno! is a fantastic city where most people are friendly. A championship club can fly in on a Thursday evening play Friday/Saturday and go back Sunday and still be home in time to go back to work Monday, its called planning

Cant wait to go back this Country is on the up when it comes to Rugby League

Thanks for that Wilber, much appreciated! Unfortunately we lost in certain areas in terms of promotion, first and foremost Eric and Cory who previously did the promotion for the Wolverines. They did that full time and did an exceptional job of creating a buzz around the games.

Second, it was the opening weekend of the Canadian National Exhibition about ten minutes walk away, many of the parking lots around were taken by traffic for that.

Thirdly, it was the night of the last concert of seminal Canadian band The Tragically Hip. Lead singer Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. The concert was free to air on TV and over 10 million people tuned in, that's over a third of the country!

I expected a drop in attendance, perhaps not that much, but we'll have to see if the new board can improve things for the game against the USA Hawks.

• 3 weeks later...

As the Tour lead who took the lads to Toronto i have to say Canabull is spot on. The lads really enjoyed their time there and the rugby was much better than 2014 when we last toured there.

Went in Shoeless Joes after the game to watch the McGregor fight and most of the Canadian lads came with us. Was looked after in the Club Fiction until the early hours by the security who treated us liked celebs all in all a very successful trip which has enriched 21 players lives. The first game at Burlington was also good except we run out of light

Yep only 500.paying attendees!! and that is the part the New Canadian RL team will have to sort. They need to get more commercially minded but it is early days for Paul and the team.

Toronno! is a fantastic city where most people are friendly. A championship club can fly in on a Thursday evening play Friday/Saturday and go back Sunday and still be home in time to go back to work Monday, its called planning

Cant wait to go back this Country is on the up when it comes to Rugby League

If they fly in on Thursday evening it means Thursday/Friday off work......and then play Friday evening (not in Feb or March they wont - or if they do there will be no one there to watch them. Even in April still the chance of frosts and occasionally snow that means playing while recovering from jet lag -  it means a distinct advantage to the home team.  Play Saturday and fly back Sunday means missing work on Monday and recovering from jet lag.

I think it would be good to see what the actual plan for days and times of home games is . . . if there is one.

They wont be playing in the evening in February or March...thats for sure

The point i was making Anita is they can do it but your right they will have to take a day off work.

You can fly on the 12.45 from Manchester on the Friday, play Saturday and return on the 10.20am Sunday morning getting you back in Manchester between 2 and 3pm.

Now i don't know how much internationally travel you do but i do a lot and the smart thing to do for two days is stay on UK time and you should not get jet lagged, that's a management thing the clubs will have to sort. Yes you will be tired but you shouldn't have to miss work on the Monday.

Also i think the Woolpack will be playing games up to the end of March in the UK then the April Month in Toronto mild frost and snow are the same in Feb in the UK so no difference there

If anything the cold is worse in the UK because of the dampness, it's dry cold in this part of Canada which is easier to deal with.  Unless there's a strong wind of course, that cuts through you like a knife.  But then be thankful you're not in Alberta, it's hits -30 out there on a warm day and they all think Toronto is soft! ;)

*edit*  And just to add, regardless of the tiredness and the required day off, it seems the Toronto trip is being one eagerly anticipated so any minuses are going to be far outweighed by the pluses.  Let's give it a season and see what the clubs and players think then.

Wilbur, i thikyou ave your timings wrong. 10.20 am sunday in Toronto is 3.20 pm in Uk. Add on 8 hours for flight makes it 11.20 pm arrival in Uk, pluse customs and luggage, say 40 mins minimum, plus travel home, bed by say 1.30 am and into work 6.5 hours later!

I hope none of them are brain surgeons!

Wilbur, i thikyou ave your timings wrong. 10.20 am sunday in Toronto is 3.20 pm in Uk. Add on 8 hours for flight makes it 11.20 pm arrival in Uk, pluse customs and luggage, say 40 mins minimum, plus travel home, bed by say 1.30 am and into work 6.5 hours later!

Hmm 1.30am,that's about the time a Cumbrian team will get home on a Sundayafter playing South Wales,London Scholars.ive been playing,watching rugby league for 30yrs,yet to meet a league playing brain surgeon.

Anita Bath, on 14 Sept 2016 - 9:35 PM, said:

You're right. Better scrap the whole thing then. Tell those Toronto backers to shove their millions, Bobby the Brain surgeon's gotta nap! To bad he's the only one in the country that can't take more than two days off at a time.

Archived