Bring Back the Charity Shield

Wondering what your thoughts are on bringing back the Charity Shield?

I know some have got great memories but was it taken seriously?

* Use it as the first trophy of the season and could be played week before WCC.

* First two charities that spring to mind would be Steve Prescott's and the RL Benevolent fund add to the State of mind Charity.

* Don't go mental and play it at Isle of Wight, Newquay or Shetlands but chip away in certain areas in the "Heartlands" but where we may not have such a representation, Bury, Blackburn, Tranmere, Burnley or even York.

* If it was this season and Wigan versus Hull FC we could head towards 5 figures attendance wise.

Ideas on a cig box................

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Yep, the top players could certainly do with an extra game every year. Keeps 'em on their toes.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Had its day, buried, don't bother digging it up.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

All the teams play trial games with at least one being pretty much a full team run out one way or another. So substituting this for one of them wouldn't be a great additional burden. But it would add something different and would get a bigger crowd than a mere friendly.

All the teams play trial games with at least one being pretty much a full team run out one way or another. So substituting this for one of them wouldn't be a great additional burden. But it would add something different and would get a bigger crowd than a mere friendly.

I'd have to agree, it would be a more competitive pre-season game (as it is in Football). Don't see how it would disservice the clubs as they all currently play trial games?

I'd be for bringing it back, but not as a tool for reaching into development areas every year.

Pick a decent ground and keep it there. And offer it to BBC, Channel 4 or BTSport to be shown live. Keep it away from SKY and Premier.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I'd be interested to see the idea explored a bit more, not sure on whether I'd bring it back or not.

I like the idea of using it as a development tool, but we could include places like Cumbria and strengthen traditional heartlands with SL action. Although no Cumbrian grounds look great on tv.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

It doesn't need to be an extra game we could just make sure the first league game of the season was league winners v cup winners. With the trophy on the line it would be a nice build up to the season. I'm sure we had a spell were the two GF teams opened the season so it can be done.

It doesn't need to be an extra game we could just make sure the first league game of the season was league winners v cup winners. With the trophy on the line it would be a nice build up to the season. I'm sure we had a spell were the two GF teams opened the season so it can be done.

That's a good idea. But could only be on Sky if it was also a regular league game and that would render the whole thing rather pointless.

I have thought the idea that bobbruce has suggested is the way to go for a while now.

SL champs vs Challenge Cup winners to kick off the season would be great. The Shield could be given to the winners. A charitable cause would benefit and SL would start with a bang.

We could be looking at a full house of 25k for Wigan v Hull first match up.

It's a good idea but was it the point of the Charity Shield to give all the proceedings to a charity? I don't know if that is true but if it is, there's no way any Club Chairman would be willing to give up his gate/corporate receipts from a league game. The last friendly before the start of the season would be the perfect opportunity and I like the idea of pushing it out of Sky's reach to the BBC.

I don't see the 'last pre-season game' and 'first match of the season' as alternatives. Why not do both?

The Charity Shield could be the final pre-season game between the reigning SL Champions and the Challenge Cup Winners. Offer it to a different broadcaster as has been suggested and focus on RL charities like Joining Jack and State of Mind. If it was well promoted it could generate a good crowd at a decent neutral venue.

That would still leave the option of a Grand Final rematch as the first match of the regular SL season, as always used to  be the case. Again, throw plenty of promotion at it and theres' no reason why it couldn't be a sellout, and would also kick of the Sky coverage with a bang

So, if it was next season (obviously its too late now, but for illustrative purposes)....

First week of February: Charity Shield: Hull vs Wigan at a neutral venue

Second week of February: 'Grand Final Revenge Match'  Wigan vs Warrington at a sold out DW Stadium

Yes, bring it back.  I agree on points made by others - last pre-SL match (ie in lieu of one of the warm-up friendlies), offered to another broadcaster (perhaps with the TV operator in question to make a voluntary contribution to the benefitting charities?  Just a thought!), use a championship ground to pack in a good crowd with locals thereabouts thus getting the benefit of not needing to travel to see SL sides (maybe a draw for clubs/grounds that want to be considered?)), beneficiaries to be specifically RL-oriented charities.

Pedantic point from OP - 'Shetland' not 'Shetlands'.  the locals there never use the plural, any more than I hear anybody hereabouts say 'the Englands'.  Sorry, with my Shetlandic blood, I couldn't resist saying that...!  Come to think of it, you might get a good crowd in Lerwick...!

I thought this should be cobsigned to history but after reading some really positive and well thought out responses I think this could be woven into the season.

I agree with the game being played the week before SL kicks off. But I would like to see the GF winners be rewarded with a home game.

Also for gods sake play it on a Sunday afternoon at 2.00pm so as many supporters can attend.

I thought this should be cobsigned to history but after reading some really positive and well thought out responses I think this could be woven into the season.

I agree with the game being played the week before SL kicks off. But I would like to see the GF winners be rewarded with a home game.

Also for gods sake play it on a Sunday afternoon at 2.00pm so as many supporters can attend.

Agree. 

With few and less organized (and prestigious) International game, we need to give the players more to play for and this trophy would help. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Archived