Italy: over 400 Children play in Tournament

Over 400 boys and girls between the ages of five and 16 played in a rugby league tournament in Este, introducing them to the fundamentals of the sport.

The tournament worked with a number of schools in and around Padova with 12 local councils involved, covering Este, Baone, Lozzo Atestino, Vo, Cinto Eugano, Villa Estense, Sant  Elena, Urbana, Noventa Vicentina, Carceri, Ospedaletto Eugano and Ponso.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Absolutely, fantastically brilliant news.Italian kids being introduced to our great game.I hope upon hope this snowballs and gets bigger and bigger. Ideas like this are great and need support from the rugby league community over there.

what is the status of this rugby league group? I always get confused by the different groups in Italy.

I can never remember which one's which either. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is the official group.

Okay. Is the official group the one that was pressured to operate under the umbrella of Italian RU, or was that the rebels?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay. Is the official group the one that was pressured to operate under the umbrella of Italian RU, or was that the rebels?

I don't think anyone was pressured. IIRC the rebels tried to affiliate with the Italian RU to give themselves more credibility in terms of them being a recognized body by the Italian authorities. I don't know if it worked or not but they are now claiming to be recognized by CONI (Italian Olympic committee) as the only official body for RL in Italy. I think they have been accused in the past of being some type of RU sleeper cell by the RLEF which is why they refuse to talk to them. Honestly it's very difficult to tell what's going on there.

Archived