Leigh to spend full SL Cap

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to their own but it won't matter much......the playing standards between the leagues is the big problem...........not so much the money you spend on players.

If you made Brisbane Broncos play a full season in the championship against part time teams they'd struggle to step up in standard come the middle 8s after coasting all season...........regular tough competition is what improves teams.

I'd also add that paying full SL cap will only result in a team full of players earning SL salaries that aren't playing at SL standard which doesn't sound the wisest move for me.

All Leigh can do is make the MPG and hope whoever they play has an off day..........which is definitely possible.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Championship can spend up to SL cap these days but it needs the money posting with the RFL, I believe we have further BIG signings to come in before the 8's with about £500k available

Thanks for that. I knew there had been an increase but didn't realise it was so much.

This news could make the end of season games awhole lot more interesting. Not sure where these players will be coming from though. How are you with quota places?

Thanks for that. I knew there had been an increase but didn't realise it was so much.

This news could make the end of season games awhole lot more interesting. Not sure where these players will be coming from though. How are you with quota places?

UK passports then staying on to play for Scotland in the 4N

Allowed SC is 50% of 'relevant' income up to the SL maximum. Although what is 'relevant' income I am not sure.

Here we go again .....

Allowed SC is 50% of 'relevant' income up to the SL maximum. Although what is 'relevant' income I am not sure.

I think clubs can go beyond the 50%, up to the SL maximum, if someone signs a commitment to fund the spending

Derek Beaumont has just stated in his weekly column that whatever division Leigh are in next year we will spend to the full SL cap, he will bankroll the shortfall 

Then this signals the total end of Blake Solly's new P & R system after only one season at it Craig, and where is the man who nicked this abhorrent failed system off Swiss soccer? Martyn Sadler rumbled him and the RFL in his editorial back in January 2014. What a disaster.

What the apologists for this disaster of a system do not/will not get is that when the clubs met there were two P & R systems proposed, so lets just remind ourselves:-

1. This current system in which £Millions was earmarked from TV money to go to the Championship clubs at the expense of Superleague to make them competitive with SL clubs which was never going to work. In season one, last year, it failed miserably and nobody went up, albeit Bulls went close at Wakey and after the game all there was was nervous relief from an embarrassed Wakey and pure anger from the Bulls. Rather than the glorious final like the year before when Leigh and Fev put on a great show, we had anger, frustration and relief.

2. Automatic P & R in which a guaranteed winner, that would have been Leigh, would have probably got £4,000,000 over two seasons to make that promotion count. The system proposed by the Rebels would already have worked by now so it's clear what was put in has failed at the first hurdle.

It's no surprise that Adam Pearson (note how different rebels take turns to come out and condemn this RFL/Solly mess) has said that they have to let this nonsense run but will "review it" in eighteen months. i.e kill it if you can read between the lines, which several RFL apologists have an inability to do on here.

So is Beaumont now saying he's 'doing a Koukash' by publically stating that Leigh will break the SC by spending to the SL limit even if they're in the Championship ?

That's your "whooossshhhh" moment of the year Toppy. The RFL knew the system had failed at the first hurdle last year when Beaumont embarrassed them and publicly declared he'd break the cap before the RFL gave in and upped the cap to £1.3 Million. After that they privately have given in and allowed Mr. Beaumont to spend to Superleague levels so it's very easy to miss this mate.

It's embarrassing, so the RFL aren't shouting about it.

Championship can spend up to SL cap these days but it needs the money posting with the RFL, 

This is outrageous Craig. The SL rebels complained that at a time when Superleague needed every penny it could get the RFL/Solly had given £Millions of the TV contract to the Championship. To some on here they thought this was good and was being kind and fair to the Championship clubs.

But it was nothing of the sort. To try to make this system work (well it's no longer the same system now this has happened) the RFL are now relying on Mr. Beaumont to pump what? a £Million of his own money into Leigh to get them up then they can falsely crow it works.

But even if it "worked" after that, who else at any championship club is going to stump up a £Million of their own money a year to try to save the RFL's face???

Each to their own but it won't matter much.....

Paying full SL cap will only result in a team full of players earning SL salaries that aren't playing at SL standard which doesn't sound the wisest move for me.

All Leigh can do is make the MPG and hope whoever they play has an off day.

"All" Leigh could have done had this daft system not been adopted through the bribing of skint SL clubs to accept it when the clubs voted only 7-6 for it, is have been promoted already by the return of automatic P & R.

Your club has had great ambitions and made great strides over a good number of years to get the chance to play Superleague. This new system killed it and your club sank to the depths of a DR tie up with Leeds.

The Rebel clubs proposed no money to the Championship above the normal subsidy. Whilst this sounded mean in fact it would have forced the Championship to play part time at an affordable level and allowed clubs with money to save it for Superleague because the winner would have gone up. Once the winner was up they would have got two years in SL at probably £2,000,000 SKY money a year and had a great chance of staying up and then another Championship club would have been guaranteed to go up year after this..

This is 2016 and Leigh could have been in Superleague.

In 2018 it could have been Featherstone getting their chance.

The apologists are still going round saying "give the system a chance" "give it five years". What utter blind nonsense. The system as designed by Solly is now dead. It's been changed to one in which if you want a chance of promotion your chairman has to find Superleague level salaries himself before he's even got there.  

Like the parrot on the Monty Python sketch the system as introduced by Solly is dead and stuffed.. A new just as bad system has been sneaked in to try to save face at Mr. Beaumont's personal expense which is disgusting (because he is being used) pending the rebels scrubbing it for proper P & R for 2018. 

Parky some very valid points but my belief is that this was a stop gap system designed to create more FT clubs to enable two tens in SL with p&r between them. That structure creates a pathway for Toulouse and Toronto to join the 15 current FT clubs plus 3others capable to finance one. This is where we can look at expansion with a third French club, a Gateshed and a South Wales for example but guarantees must be given and bonds placed in these new areas

Then this signals the total end of Blake Solly's new P & R system after only one season at it Craig, and where is the man who nicked this abhorrent failed system off Swiss soccer? Martyn Sadler rumbled him and the RFL in his editorial back in January 2014. What a disaster.

What the apologists for this disaster of a system do not/will not get is that when the clubs met there were two P & R systems proposed, so lets just remind ourselves:-

1. This current system in which £Millions was earmarked from TV money to go to the Championship clubs at the expense of Superleague to make them competitive with SL clubs which was never going to work. In season one, last year, it failed miserably and nobody went up, albeit Bulls went close at Wakey and after the game all there was was nervous relief from an embarrassed Wakey and pure anger from the Bulls. Rather than the glorious final like the year before when Leigh and Fev put on a great show, we had anger, frustration and relief.

2. Automatic P & R in which a guaranteed winner, that would have been Leigh, would have probably got £4,000,000 over two seasons to make that promotion count. The system proposed by the Rebels would already have worked by now so it's clear what was put in has failed at the first hurdle.

It's no surprise that Adam Pearson (note how different rebels take turns to come out and condemn this RFL/Solly mess) has said that they have to let this nonsense run but will "review it" in eighteen months. i.e kill it if you can read between the lines, which several RFL apologists have an inability to do on here.

That's your "whooossshhhh" moment of the year Toppy. The RFL knew the system had failed at the first hurdle last year when Beaumont embarrassed them and publicly declared he'd break the cap before the RFL gave in and upped the cap to £1.3 Million. After that they privately have given in and allowed Mr. Beaumont to spend to Superleague levels so it's very easy to miss this mate.

It's embarrassing, so the RFL aren't shouting about it.

This is outrageous Craig. The SL rebels complained that at a time when Superleague needed every penny it could get the RFL/Solly had given £Millions of the TV contract to the Championship. To some on here they thought this was good and was being kind and fair to the Championship clubs.

But it was nothing of the sort. To try to make this system work (well it's no longer the same system now this has happened) the RFL are now relying on Mr. Beaumont to pump what? a £Million of his own money into Leigh to get them up then they can falsely crow it works.

But even if it "worked" after that, who else at any championship club is going to stump up a £Million of their own money a year to try to save the RFL's face???

"All" Leigh could have done had this daft system not been adopted through the bribing of skint SL clubs to accept it when the clubs voted only 7-6 for it, is have been promoted already by the return of automatic P & R.

Your club has had great ambitions and made great strides over a good number of years to get the chance to play Superleague. This new system killed it and your club sank to the depths of a DR tie up with Leeds.

The Rebel clubs proposed no money to the Championship above the normal subsidy. Whilst this sounded mean in fact it would have forced the Championship to play part time at an affordable level and allowed clubs with money to save it for Superleague because the winner would have gone up. Once the winner was up they would have got two years in SL at probably £2,000,000 SKY money a year and had a great chance of staying up and then another Championship club would have been guaranteed to go up year after this..

This is 2016 and Leigh could have been in Superleague.

In 2018 it could have been Featherstone getting their chance.

The apologists are still going round saying "give the system a chance" "give it five years". What utter blind nonsense. The system as designed by Solly is now dead. It's been changed to one in which if you want a chance of promotion your chairman has to find Superleague level salaries himself before he's even got there.  

Like the parrot on the Monty Python sketch the system as introduced by Solly is dead and stuffed.. A new just as bad system has been sneaked in to try to save face at Mr. Beaumont's personal expense which is disgusting (because he is being used) pending the rebels scrubbing it for proper P & R for 2018. 

For once, I have to agree that many of the points here are valid. Solly was the brainchild has has bailed in double quick time. Lots of people will remember his UK tour trying to sell the concept to fans and clubs. I believe the system only squeaked through on a narrow boat.

Secondly, I am not worried about Leigh having twisted the arm of the RFL to completely abandon second tier capping - this is what has happened folks. My worry is that we now have a division where clubs like Whitehaven and Oldham are swilling around on a £100k hand out and 300k in salaries being asked to compete with the likes of Leigh and Bradford who are no longer bound by any restraints.

I started a thread last year that no Leigh v Bradford Championship final was the crying shame of 2015. It would have got 12-15k at Headingley or similar. Instead we had 5k at Wakefield for a car crash.

But I dont quite see what the problem is here. If rich benefactors from the likes of Leigh, Toulouse and Toronto can get teams competitive into the middle 8s, the surely that is a good thing.

The middle 8s are for 2 reasons:

1) to give clubs a pathway to Super League. Being able to spend up to SL cap via a bond seems to do that. So great. It'll mean that clubs that do make it they will be highly competitive once then are in, as opposed to the basket case teams we have seen during P&R who quickly have to cobble together a team, mainly from players who proved themselves incapable from the team that goes down.

2) Make SL more interesting. Teams are desperate to make the top 8. The alternative is only a few teams being concerned about relegation, and a top 8 playoff that allowed for mediocrity. Only a top 4play off after super 8s drives teams to play all season (every minute matters). A Top 4 playoff and 1/2 teams going down would leave too many mid table teams with nothing to play for. Better that the Championship be a little uncompetitive than SL, as the former is our flagship competition, with far more people watching and enjoying it.

How about we stop sharpening the pitch forks and actually enjoy what is on offer instead of trying to pronounce initiatives a failure prematurely. Let's hope Leigh can make a real stab of it this year, and seeing the likes of Leeds and Huddersfield at Championship grounds will be really invigorating. Bradford were whisker away last season. Hardly an abject failure.

But I dont quite see what the problem is here. If rich benefactors from the likes of Leigh, Toulouse and Toronto can get teams competitive into the middle 8s, the surely that is a good thing.

The middle 8s are for 2 reasons:

1) to give clubs a pathway to Super League. Being able to spend up to SL cap via a bond seems to do that. So great. It'll mean that clubs that do make it they will be highly competitive once then are in, as opposed to the basket case teams we have seen during P&R who quickly have to cobble together a team, mainly from players who proved themselves incapable from the team that goes down.

2) Make SL more interesting. Teams are desperate to make the top 8. The alternative is only a few teams being concerned about relegation, and a top 8 playoff that allowed for mediocrity. Only a top 4play off after super 8s drives teams to play all season (every minute matters). A Top 4 playoff and 1/2 teams going down would leave too many mid table teams with nothing to play for. Better that the Championship be a little uncompetitive than SL, as the former is our flagship competition, with far more people watching and enjoying it.

How about we stop sharpening the pitch forks and actually enjoy what is on offer instead of trying to pronounce initiatives a failure prematurely. Let's hope Leigh can make a real stab of it this year, and seeing the likes of Leeds and Huddersfield at Championship grounds will be really invigorating. Bradford were whisker away last season. Hardly an abject failure.

The problem is that you are trying to create the feel of an exciting equilibrium 3x8 format when in reality we are creating a 12 plus 2/3 format. We have Toulouse swilling about in League 1 on a cap of £1m and Toronto the exact same thing next year lower down against clubs on an annual wage bill of 80-100k. You have Whitehaven on a wage bill of 250-300k trying to compete with Leigh who are spending the full salary cap to crack the system.

The RFL is basing a whole system on money men smashing through the original concept (Every minute matters, Championship salary caps etc) in the hope one of them will grab promotion. Look back at the original concept. If we get no promotion in the next 2/3 years the same money men (or women) will be banging the door down to bring in straight P&R.

What the whole system will show is that we probably wasted 4-5 years getting to a straight 1 up one down following licensing.

But I mthe structure isn't all about promotion. It's about the threat of relegation for far more teams in SL. Everyone is getting very hung up on the promotion side of things, where there is still a chance, but SL is much more exiting for it and that is the most important thing.

Toronto and Toulouse have both signed on within the current structure and Beaumont is happy to pony up. If Leigh don't go up this year or no one next then I'm sure there will some revision, but last year was great, and I'm really looking forward to Leigh locking horns with Leeds and them coming down to London.

I'm no Salford fan but they are arguing over salary cap breaches and red tape from a few years ago yet Leigh have ridden over the top of the RFL Championship salary cap and simply had the rules changed for them. I don't mind that as Leigh are building a strong club but what the hell does the salary cap stand for these days?

It's to ensure a level playing field. Salford we're find for trying to avoid a level playing field. The RFL have been flexible to allow a level playing field between SL and the Championship. This they should be applauded. They listened to people's complaints

How is that a level playing field for Batley, Oldham, Whitehaven and Workington then? This is a 3x8 system not a 12+2 +10

How is it a 3x8 level playing field when Bradford and Leigh get 400-500k per year from the RFL and those previous clubs mentioned might get as low as 75k? They are all supposed to be in a fluid competition.

Archived