Eric Bristow

The bleeding heart in me wonders if a spot of public learning followed by keeping his job (or, presumably, just getting another Sky freelance gig) would have been better.

It doesn't sit well with me when people lose jobs because of things unrelated to their ability to do them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The bleeding heart in me wonders if a spot of public learning followed by keeping his job (or, presumably, just getting another Sky freelance gig) would have been better.

It doesn't sit well with me when people lose jobs because of things unrelated to their ability to do them.

i think in instances like this it is hard to brush over. He is being paid to give his opinions on Sky because of his 'brand' - his brand is now damaged and his opinions will now be questioned.

My understanding of what he said was this. Duff the buggers up. Give em a clout for what they did. Hurt them like they hurt the ones they abused. Not that simple, is it though.

it was more the use of the slur poof and saying footballers are soft and not real men like darts players.

Basically mocking the abused.

Whilst I can see that his 'celebrity' status (being lauded daily by crowds of drunken dart followers) could lead to him being caught up in a bubble of self-righteous arrogance, it is no excuse for his ignorance. Whatever his opinions, he ought to have known better than to blab this sort of stuff out in public, knowing what the likely consequences might be. He isn't employed by anyone to be a mouthpiece of public opinion, nor is he a respected critic in the field of historical abuse.

I half suspected a claim of his account being hacked this morning, but alas, it appears these really were his opinions. Not a clever move, Eric.

Whilst I can see that his 'celebrity' status (being lauded daily by crowds of drunken dart followers) could lead to him being caught up in a bubble of self-righteous arrogance, it is no excuse for his ignorance. Whatever his opinions, he ought to have known better than to blab this sort of stuff out in public, knowing what the likely consequences might be. He isn't employed by anyone to be a mouthpiece of public opinion, nor is he a respected critic in the field of historical abuse.

I half suspected a claim of his account being hacked this morning, but alas, it appears these really were his opinions. Not a clever move, Eric.

"He isn't employed by anyone to be a mouthpiece of public opinion, nor is he a respected critic in the field of historical abuse".

No but Social Media has been normalised as an appropriate activity for people to take part in and a goldmine for 24 hour news.

"He isn't employed by anyone to be a mouthpiece of public opinion, nor is he a respected critic in the field of historical abuse".

No but Social Media has been normalised as an appropriate activity for people to take part in and a goldmine for 24 hour news.

Agreed. He chose to utilise that platform to air views he simply didn't need to share. His choice, nobody else's.

I must admit that thought crossed my mind.

Maybe attending an awareness group might have been an alternative.

The comments themselves were utterly idiotic even before he used the word 'poof.' Why is a real man somebody who duffs up somebody else?

I'm OK with the idea that Sky won't use him again if he didn't have a formal contract with them.They are more than entitled to decide who they want to deal with and decide that they don't want to deal with somebody who talks like that anymore.

However, I'm not in favour of the people reporting it to the police as a hate crime. This just plays into his hands and means he can cry persecution for daring to have an opinion. Even aside from the free speech issue, rather than simply embarrassing himself and making himself look like an outdated fool, he will now be represented as a victim in the face of the PC brigade.

Is it now a crime to be obnoxious?

He claimed to be a real man.

On his own terms he should have been able to defend himself.

Live by it, die by it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I totally don't agree with what Bristow said, or the way he said it. But after having seen footage of Piers Morgan slating him on GMTV (or whatever its called now) I can't help feeling he got treated as if he were actually a paedo himself. Is it now a crime to be obnoxious?

Can't be long until he's on Loose Women begging forgiveness, that seems to be the way these days.

Piers Morgan is nothing but a male Katie Hopkins, I.e. An attention whore.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

You think having can big mouth and unpopular opinions warrants this sort of treatment? It's like he was the bloody perpetrator not just some oaf on twitter.

I knew the term 'real man' would get the hackles of a true metrosexual rising. :P

I'm not particularly comfortable with Morgan's playing to the choir.

And I have said that Bristow could/should have been put in connection with some survivors.

But I have very little sympathy when a loud mouth who talks about being able to defend himself shows he can't.

You think having can big mouth and unpopular opinions warrants this sort of treatment? It's like he was the bloody perpetrator not just some oaf on twitter.

I knew the term 'real man' would get the hackles of a true metrosexual rising. :P

As a non-metrosexual, I am nonetheless rubbish at cricket and make many terrible errors when I play.  Fortunately, I am not employed as a professional cricketer so I have every right to be rubbish at cricket, but if I were paid to play, I would be condemned as useless and lose my job.

We are both entitled to talk rubbish too.  I excel at talking rubbish. Were I paid to do it for a living though, I might lose my job.

What he could do is get a job as an alternative commentator championing the right of people to talk such stuff.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I totally agree but some of the reaction has been pretty OTT. I think talking b'locks shouldn't be automatic dismissal. (Unless it was something like race hatred or sexual harassment).

I'd be in trouble anyway.

just using the word poof and insulting abuse victims should absolutely be enough for dismissal.

Im not going to defend Bristow, but in mitigation I might point out that the country he and I come from the 1950's ( " The past is a different place, they do things differently there") had a tradition of sorting these things out quietly.

Another saying is" revenge is a dish best served cold"

My father who was one of 6 brothers was brought up in a much tougher country than me (the 1920's) and I have no doubt what he would have done if he thought any kiddy fiddlers were messing around with his family.

Of course, in that country the police would'nt have bothered too much if someone else lamped the perves before they could.

It seems like paedophilia is a modern invention and I wonder if that is because whilst it happened back then the consequences were more extreme and so was much less prevalent.This is reflected in that most un PC of places HMP Strangeways, Armley etc where the old fashioned views have strangely persisted.

It may not be correct but in my unpc view it serves them right.

I would say sorry if my views offend, but I won't because I'm not.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived