Train Travel

Does anyone know the furthest north railway station in the UK?

I've done the West (Penzance), which is also I believe the furthest south station, just in case I also went to Lizard Point, (by bus via Helston), which is the geographical furthest south point on the UK Mainland, I went, hundreds of years ago it seems, to Felixstowe, which is the furthest east, now I want to do the furthest North in the summer, not the closest to JohnO'Groats, because I've been further north than that, as I've been to Skaw on Shetland, the most northerly occupied point of the UK.

But I fancy a week away. Stopping off at various points I've never been to.

I've always been a fan of "Journey is part of the experience", and "Travel broadens the mind".

I went, hundreds of years ago it seems, to Felixstowe, which is the furthest east.

Try Lancashire, it still hasn't caught up.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On Michael Palin's Great Railway Journey I believe it was Kyle of Lockalsh, or Boat of Garten (?)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Does anyone know the furthest north railway station in the UK?

I've done the West (Penzance), which is also I believe the furthest south station, just in case I also went to Lizard Point, (by bus via Helston), which is the geographical furthest south point on the UK Mainland, I went, hundreds of years ago it seems, to Felixstowe, which is the furthest east, now I want to do the furthest North in the summer, not the closest to JohnO'Groats, because I've been further north than that, as I've been to Skaw on Shetland, the most northerly occupied point of the UK.

I've always been a fan of "Journey is part of the experience", and "Travel broadens the mind".

LMGTFY :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Still Thurso I believe.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Still Thurso I believe.

I'd agree, having looked at the maps.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

OK via trainline.co.uk I have to go to St Leonards Warrior Square, to Charing Cross, then  Underground x 2 trains to Kings Cross, then up to Edingburgh, or Inverness, Either way its an overnight stay there, then Scotrail to Thurso.

Touch base, or stay overnight again, then back to Edingburgh or Inverness, (Overnight stay if I miss, or stay in Thurso), back to Kings Cross and return, Whew £210.40 or £129.45 on selected routes, plus accomodation, on two nights.

Anyone want to give me a job so I can do it?

OK via trainline.co.uk I have to go to St Leonards Warrior Square, to Charing Cross, then Underground x 2 trains to Kings Cross, then up to Edingburgh, or Inverness, Either way its an overnight stay there, then Scotrail to Thurso.

Touch base, or stay overnight again, then back to Edingburgh or Inverness, (Overnight stay if I miss, or stay in Thurso), back to Kings Cross and return, Whew £210.40 or £129.45 on selected routes, plus accomodation, on two nights.

You could start by saving yourself £2 by using a site other than trainline. ;)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

If you can put back your departure date, you may get some better deals.

And, based on a quick image search, Thurso looks quite nice and interesting (in the summertime).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

OK via trainline.co.uk I have to go to St Leonards Warrior Square, to Charing Cross, then  Underground x 2 trains to Kings Cross, then up to Edingburgh, or Inverness, Either way its an overnight stay there, then Scotrail to Thurso.

Go on the Megabus...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Go on the Megabus...

Many years ago, I occasionally used to deal with a pollution control officer from Yorkshire Water. When he was about thirty, he jacked it in to go and be a bus driver in the highlands.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Take the overnight sleeper train from Euston to Inverness, has cheap(ish) seating carriages, would give you the chance to do and out and back from Inverness to Thurso in a day and save you two nights in a hotel.

You could start by saving yourself £2 by using a site other than trainline. ;)

I m lucky . I am now retired and I have a senior rail card.Cost me £30 and receive 34 percent off.I have saved over £50 in a month already.When the spring comes I am travelling all over Yorkshirw and Scotland.With advance fares I reckon I ll save well over £150

Take the overnight sleeper train from Euston to Inverness, has cheap(ish) seating carriages, would give you the chance to do and out and back from Inverness to Thurso in a day and save you two nights in a hotel.

I was watching BBC Breakfast in January, and they did a feature commuting, and they followed this guy who lives about an hour north of Inverness, and works in Euston, stays Mon -Thurs in a hostel & travels back Friday night. Sleeper both ways.

Archived