Workington today

class of 63

1 point lost or 1 point won?

For me it was a point lost. I know that they missed 2 kickable penalties, but they chose the correct decision, just executed poorly. We could have kicked in front of the sticks but chose the wrong decison, then knocked on from the following play the ball. Mistakes all round too. Turning ball over early in tackle count, missing touch from penalty, kicking out on full, silly sin-bin, some woeful penalties late in tackle count. However, to go there and come away with a point, atleast we came away with something. Must say that they were the better team on the day but just couldn't get through our solid defence. We played right until the end for a win (that never came), they just played to hold on for whatever they could. Sammut for them looked disinterested, probably thnking about Canada, and how on earth he got MOM is beyond me. Clearly for them Verlinden was the stand out player. Thought we missed Dan Flemings go forward and Levers leg injury obviously affected his performance. Robinson always strong taking the ball in and that right side defence of Thornley, White and Littler was massive. Still, 7th in the league - who'd have thought that 5 months ago?

We've improved defensively in the last two matches but the penalties really irritate me and they need to stop.

In my opinion I think we need to attack more like we did in the wins against Batley and and Halifax.

The pack is playing well and I hope we have a good go against Halifax on Sunday.

The point on Sunday could be valuable and to be fair to Workington they completed their sets well and there game management was a lot better than ours on the day.

On another day Swinton could of won and having seen the photo of the trip on Rob Lever I think it should of been a penalty try!

Team selection will be interesting if injured players return this week.

It is one of the debatable points of whether to go for 'the 2' , we all will have our own views - it obviously depends on the current scoreline and also a teams confidence and ambition in scoring tries. As for '1 point lost or 1 point won I would say the game could have gone either way and any point from Derwent Park has always been difficult and as I said in my previous post the 1 point could be precious come end of season - I am confident we will stay up by more than that though.

Got to disagree with the poor performance tag as a whole.Only 1 try conceded and the middles played well. The backs made some very poor options and again the kicking and positional on the 5th was poor. Agree Lever was clear through would have scored and it's a red card for me . Ref stunk the place out.

Archived