The Photography Thread

My husband had an accident with my camera whilst on holiday and I want to upgrade to a DSLR for a Fuji 5700.

I want something that is easy to learn, has auto for when I feel lazy but has scope to grow with me.

I am comparing Canon, Nikon, Olympus cameras and wanted any comments.

Budget is around

Edited by Red Willow

I have a Nikon D40x which has been superseded by the D60. It's a superb, light camera which has the right mix (to my mind) of auto features and manual control.

The only downside, and it is a major one, is that lenses for it must have an AF motor on the lens as the camera itself doesn't have one. This means that for Nikon badged lenses you're restricted to AF-S and from Sigma they have to be HSM ones. These are comparatively new systems which means there's no secondhand market as such so getting more lenses once you've got your initial bundle won't necessarily be cheap or easy.

Jessops are currently offering a bundle of a D60 with 18-55 and 70-200 lenses plus bag, battery and memory card for

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've got a Cannon 400, now superseded by the 450d.

Whilst I am happy with mine, a lot of reviews I've read of the 450d whilst complimentary do point out it the range doesn't seem to have kept pace with rivals such as Sony.

That said you may be able to pick up the Cannon 40D for around your budget, which is coming down in price of late.

I found with mine that what ever you spend on the camera you better have 3 times that amount tucked away for the lenses you'll be buying over the coming months!

My husband had an accident with my camera whilst on holiday and I want to upgrade to a DSLR for a Fuji 5700.

I want something that is easy to learn, has auto for when I feel lazy but has scope to grow with me.

I am comparing Canon, Nikon, Olympus cameras and wanted any comments.

Budget is around

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I also have the 400D, with the kit lens and couple of others. It's a great camera and I've learned a lot about photography in the 6 months I've had it. You could certainly pick one up for around

Edited by candlestickchimney

Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

2) Buy a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Patterson - changed the way I thought about photography and taught me a lot about taking light readings, white balance and exposing, and is really easy to read.

100% agree. Fantastic book.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

GJ (happy birthday to you-ooo) is right, everyone seems to prefer a certain make, and once you have bought one you tend to stick with it because the lenses are expensive and only fit that brand of camera. I have an 'old' Canon 300D, I love it, it still does everything I require, but it is so 'comfortable' and easy to use, I don't think I'll be changing for a little while yet - I did however splash out on a very expensive lens, and together they give me good photos The advice I would give, is get out into the shops and handle as many as you can. If friends have cameras, ask to have a feel of theirs. Read up on websites and ask questions about them, and slowly you will start to make your mind up and favour one sort above others. Here's a few different types of photo I have taken with my camera, ( and remember, mine is waaay behind the latest ones) just to show how versatile these digital cameras are:-

2463630967_73de8d3047.jpg

2059827148_90a9b04a2f.jpg

2226028403_97e5c974d6.jpg

2056452279_84d62617c7.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Cracking RL shot. Crystal clear.

Cheers Sev, just trying to show Red Willow how a reasonably cheap digital SLR camera does so many things. It's mailny down to the camera, as I still think of myself as a 'happy snapper'. GingerJon might stick a few of his on here as well..... getting a bit of a rep behind the camera is our Ginge.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

Got a couple of mags on the subject and there seems little between the systems. I knew once I made a choice I had bought into that system, which was why Sony had me a little worried as you seem limited to their lens.

Any comments about the image stablisation on the lens or the body?

What does the lens do?

Great photos!

I am due to get a long service award of

Love the colours on the windsurfing pic, ET!! :) What expensive L glass are you using, so I can call you a jameater in jealousy??? ;)

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

Got a couple of mags on the subject and there seems little between the systems. I knew once I made a choice I had bought into that system, which was why Sony had me a little worried as you seem limited to their lens.

What does the lens do?

Great photos!

I am due to get a long service award of

Candlestick Chimney

I used a Samsung GX10 (essentially a rebadged Pentax) when 'On Assignment' with Amateur Photographer last year. It's a very good camera although a bit heavier than I would like if out on a long shoot. I think it's GX20 now but it's well worth a look and the lenses that go with it (Schneider I think - but also rebadged as Samsung) do get good reviews.

I have a Pentax waterproof point and click and am impressed with the photos it produces.

When I asked about the lens I meant 50mm lens!

I suppose I am looking for a camera that isn't bulky or heavy, but has high quality pictures. I am looking at this becoming more of a hobby in the future.

Amazing what you learn about people by asking a simple question!!

Edited by Red Willow

I have IS (image stabilisation) built into my lens as a fair number of my photos tend to be of rugby league or my dog bombing about, some at a fair old distance. All it is for is that it stops that little bit of 'shake' and blurring on the photo when photographing quick moving objects or objects that are far away.

Love the colours on the windsurfing pic, ET!! :) What expensive L glass are you using, so I can call you a jameater in jealousy??? ;)
You should recognise the windsurfing location, it's at Allonby - in November!!

(Smug mode//) My lens is a Canon 28-300 EF f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM (End smug mode.) Great piece of kit (should be for how much it cost) but the thinking behind it its that for the kind of photos I take, I shouldn't need any another lens for a long, long time.

I have IS (image stabilisation) built into my lens as a fair number of my photos tend to be of rugby league or my dog bombing about, some at a fair old distance. All it is for is that it stops that little bit of 'shake' and blurring on the photo when photographing quick moving objects or objects that are far away.

You should recognise the windsurfing location, it's at Allonby - in November!!

(Smug mode//) My lens is a Canon 28-300 EF f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM (End smug mode.) Great piece of kit (should be for how much it cost) but the thinking behind it its that for the kind of photos I take, I shouldn't need any another lens for a long, long time.

Aye, I'd recognise them waves anywhere....... :rolleyes: Nice lens, especially given the zoom range it covers, though I would have to sell a couple of goats and the wife to get anywhere near affording one!! :(

Jameater!! ;)

Candlestick Chimney

I use a Sony ALpha 700 - the dogs nuts BUT way over your budget - you could do worse than look at the new Sony Alpha 350 which has LiveView - perfect for those new to DSLR who have experience of standard digital camera

Some of my pics are on http://www.carlmitchell.co.uk/gallery_136279.html

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

How easy to use is clikpic - and is it good value for what you get?

Very tempted to set up a website.

It's fantastic and you can decide what level of subscription you want so great value for money.

Highly recommended - do th e7 day free trial thingy - unlike other things that are a free trial you don't get pressured into ordering at the end of it

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I think at the budget you are looking at, any of the camera's mentioned will fit the bill.

I recently got a EOS450d and love it to bits! I did quite a bit of reading up before settling on it, but it was a long an arduous choice, the D60 and the A200 all ran it close, but the 450d seemed to have it all, and I must say it's hard to fault... with the exception of the guy behind it :blush:

Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005

Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.

Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=43780