A story that needs telling could be coming to a cinema near you...

Bit of an odd edit!

Because Ady wasn't the only one in the UK this happened to I guess most RL followers just get used to the open and rather pathetic discrimination the sport has and will suffer

When I was a teenager I had the opportunity to play RU as a 'colt' and go into a pool of north of England players but was told I couldn't play 'that game'. The coach couldn't even bring himself to say the word league - I chose my mates because I couldn't understand at that age why I couldn't play the game I had grown up playing - I lost the RU opportunity and got a lot of ###### from the Scottish PE teacher at school because of my decision to the point where he refused to let me take part in rugger at school

And I was in Huddersfield!

Good luck with the film I hope it goes well and if it gets made ill go see it!

In the Hollywood tradition stories like this are a conglomerate of people experiencing the same kind of stuff to stretch the plot. Well a bit of research will produce many such moments and experiences to create that plot.

In fact for a change they won't run out of threads to base it on, will they?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

How many RL (or RL-related) films are there in existence? I assume there's been a few Australian ones that many of us don't know about, for a start.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

How many RL (or RL-related) films are there in existence? I assume there's been a few Australian ones that many of us don't know about, for a start.

Good way to keep the thread going and avoid the obvious pitfalls.

If it helps I think Alf Tupper played RL! ;)

Yes, but not really worth trying to discuss it here I feel.

Patently.....is it because it might paint our sport in a positive light without proclaiming it as the self titled TGG (as has happened in the Midgley thread) or is it because the story contains the dreaded "U" word?

BTW, Kris.....Ady is not alone, in that you are correct, but he was the last to receive such an overt and public ban and that is what makes his story worth telling.....but as with anything slightly positive on here, it'll turn into a bickering and self loathing exercise because perish the thought of anything remotely positive on here unless its a side full of mercs playing in Toronto.

Ady lives stateside now and is slightly amused at this movie development.....unfortunately if it does get made, some on here will use the fact that Matt Damon didn't play the lead as some sort of Twickenham conspiracy theory....

When I was younger I remember hearing a story about someone who had played in the varsity rugger match getting banned when the RFU found out he'd also played league, I'd forgotten the players name until now so thanks for the post.

My dad used to tell stories about union players from around the UK who'd turn out for Barrow's reserve team to see if they fancied switching to league and on the team sheet they were always called "A.N. Other" so there was no evidence of them playing and the rugby union boards in England, Wales and Scotland wouldn't find out they'd played a game of league, I assume alot of league clubs did likewise during the amateur era.

Not to mention the tale of Dave Alred and the balaclava...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I was younger I remember hearing a story about someone who had played in the varsity rugger match getting banned when the RFU found out he'd also played league, I'd forgotten the players name until now so thanks for the post.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/varsity-match-and-the-story-that-wont-go-away-for-ady-spencer-8514364.html

and from the teamsheet of the varsity match...15349569_10158081719230105_1123640217340

Patently.....is it because it might paint our sport in a positive light without proclaiming it as the self titled TGG (as has happened in the Midgley thread) or is it because the story contains the dreaded "U" word?

BTW, Kris.....Ady is not alone, in that you are correct, but he was the last to receive such an overt and public ban and that is what makes his story worth telling.....but as with anything slightly positive on here, it'll turn into a bickering and self loathing exercise because perish the thought of anything remotely positive on here unless its a side full of mercs playing in Toronto.

Ady lives stateside now and is slightly amused at this movie development.....unfortunately if it does get made, some on here will use the fact that Matt Damon didn't play the lead as some sort of Twickenham conspiracy theory....

Well nonbelievers, which do you think would motivate me to say this positivity or snooze vision? I'll leave that entirely up to you.

Did I imagine it or did Ady play for the London Broncos for a while?

The link in post #11 has some details of his playing career, including his time at London Broncos.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ADY SPENCER.....The Motion Picture Event of the Year!

EDIT: 

Maybe I should have posted this on a Union site, because there seems little interest here even though it is a story well known in League circles.....with evidence and statements to back up accusations and not just inuendo and rumour....

The story is a good reminder of the way things were but would only be any good if it was able to show things like this no longer happened and times had indeed changed. :O

The story is a good reminder of the way things were but would only be any good if it was able to show things like this no longer happened and times had indeed changed. :O

Oh, I don't know. The recent poaching of a RL star by Sale RFC could be seen by some as "karma" after the pillaging of Welsh RU by League teams in days gone by.....but there's never 2 sides to any tale as far as RL/RU are concerned, is there!

As for times changing, League has had every advantage as a professional entertainment/sports offering whilst the behemoth that is Union has stumbled and bungled along......yet when asked why League isn't the #1 code in terms of Rugby, it's ALWAYS.....not usually, or probably, but ALWAYS unions fault. SL started in the UK with a massive SKY sports deal (at the time) as well as regular Challenge Cup games on the BBC whilst Onion was just coming to terms with overt professionalism.....some 21 years later and the only thing that's changed is the sky sports deal is still with League and Onion is on the obscure channel, yet their domestic comp which used to get crowds in the hundreds gets 12,000........and we struggle to get 9k.....why is that?

Back on thread.....this is a story that if brought to the attention of the non rugby fans of either code would win us some karma.......but I seem to think that you and few others dictate the mood and spectrum of this board and therefore, it's your way or the highway....and if it's not TGG (Why do we cling to that name BTW....it's very insecure)...it's not worthy

Is that a peestake nonB, RL was strangled at birth by the establishment. The monies paid to stage RU on TV are beyond logic but competition within that establishment ensures that. The sport is without morals at the top and always will be.

It is also another myth spread around to justify actions, not unlike the pretense that Welsh  yoonion players were not being paid to play kick and clap.

As nonB and a few others know very well it is not about players going to Vichy (that's perfectly okay) it's about how this has been done and it's legality. Being found questionable promotes several strategies: denial,  accusation and act like it's normal .

As for two sides to every story, of course there is, 3 sides actually, there's the pot, the kettle and black.

And then there's sitting on the fence.

"Back on thread.....this is a story that if brought to the attention of the non rugby fans of either code would win us some karma.......but I seem to think that you and few others dictate the mood and spectrum of this board and therefore, it's your way or the highway....and if it's not TGG (Why do we cling to that name BTW....it's very insecure)...it's not worthy"

And there it is .......... "dictate" If you knew anything about RL fans you'd understand you've about as much chance of dictating what they can and can't say as you actually being on thread.

I chose the side I'm on because of the evidence of history and the values that represents. And we keep to TGG because we believe it is, that's why we watch it, prefer it and write about it on here.

Personally I think if this story was a film in the making it would be very unlikely to see the light of day.

I chose the side I'm on because of the evidence of history and the values that represents. And we keep to TGG because we believe it is, that's why we watch it, prefer it and write about it on here.

And I choose to believe that the story of the last person to receive a ban from playing Union because he played League is a very worthy tale that needs to be brought to the attention of the masses. It isn't about the speed or skill of league players compared to union players, but a tale....nay an example of the tactics used by the establishment to stifle the game of Rugby League.

This story and subsequent film if it gets made is based on clear facts, undeniable truths and documented evidence and we should be encouraging the film makers....not belittling it like some posters did with the PR we got about having pleasant fans. Not everyone knows about the game and its troubled past and many won't care either way, but denying any pro RL PR, no matter how trivial because it doesn't proclaim the sport as the greatest game ever played is insane...a type of inverted snobbery.

I also choose not to refer to my preferred code at The Greatest Game, because I don't believe we are justified in calling it that and we won't be until we have a strong leadership and a fan base that isn't intent on being permanently "down in the game". 

And I choose to believe that the story of the last person to receive a ban from playing Union because he played League is a very worthy tale that needs to be brought to the attention of the masses. It isn't about the speed or skill of league players compared to union players, but a tale....nay an example of the tactics used by the establishment to stifle the game of Rugby League.

This story and subsequent film if it gets made is based on clear facts, undeniable truths and documented evidence and we should be encouraging the film makers....not belittling it like some posters did with the PR we got about having pleasant fans. Not everyone knows about the game and its troubled past and many won't care either way, but denying any pro RL PR, no matter how trivial because it doesn't proclaim the sport as the greatest game ever played is insane...a type of inverted snobbery.

I also choose not to refer to my preferred code at The Greatest Game, because I don't believe we are justified in calling it that and we won't be until we have a strong leadership and a fan base that isn't intent on being permanently "down in the game". 

What?

You'll never be accused of burying the hatchet NB.

Inverted snobbery what a wonderful phrase to use because someone doesn't agree with you! The two subjects are only connected in and by your invective.

And finding out you don't believe it's the greatest game has made all this worthwhile, so thanks for that at least.

I look forward to the next time we debate ....... and don't expect to be eye to eye over any issue, but you are the right side of passionate.

....... and don't expect to be eye to eye over any issue, but you are the right side of passionate.

We can agree on many things, including that the 2nd tier looks pretty impressive and will do so even more in 12 months time with a North American team joining the French and the Cockerneys, but I fail to see how this movie, should it be made is anything other than a positive for us and should be applauded.

We can agree on many things, including that the 2nd tier looks pretty impressive and will do so even more in 12 months time with a North American team joining the French and the Cockerneys, but I fail to see how this movie, should it be made is anything other than a positive for us and should be applauded.

There you are I found one, somewhere where we agree NB!

That film would be a real positive but I still don't think it'll see the light of day. After all there's probably more truth in this story than in the whole of the fantasy Invictus!

Archived