What spine will win England the 4N and World Cup?

Looking at today's game we have nothing to fear in the next 12-18 months, For England to win either the 4N or WC or both we need to create a match winning spine and (barring injuries) pretty much stick to it from October onwards. So who would you build your 1, 6, 7 and 9 around for this year and next?

I found this difficult but I have a strong feeling that Sam Tomkins will bounce back to form once his injuries are behind him. He is too good a player not to. For me, the spine would be:

Tomkins

Widdop

Gale

Hodgson

Roby/Clark (bench)

I think Luke Gale deserves a run after making the squad last year and the fact that we were messing about with Willams and Matty Smith means the shirt is up for grabs. Widdop is on shaky ground a bit for me and he needs to vastly improve this year. I think Tomkins adds a massive ball playing option which helps the half backs. Hardaker played okay last year but he did struggle to feed the outside backs with his link play. I would certainly have him in the squad.

Bolter could be Richie Myler but he isn't a create half back.

Hardaker

Widdop

Gale

Hodgson/Roby

I've presumed Hardaker will come good as Leeds do (a big if though). His defence is better than Tomkins and keeping the Aussies/NZ out spreads uncertainty. Defence is key for a FB. Tomkins has to prove he's back to his best first to get in the squad.

Widdop. With Smith in the squad, who else is there? Kevin Brown? Not for me.

Gale has come on and plays with confidence, moves the defence out of shape and can kick. We must have kicking options and someone who can stand up to Thurston. Myler has been playing well in attack but teams make a B line for him and he doesn't defend well.

Hodgson or Roby. Wouldn't have both. One or the other with Clark to support. Deserves another chance now and nothing replaces speed.

Forget Tomkins - he will be a half yard slower and unless he has a few more smarts in the head I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the outer at Wigan end of season

Hardaker - best we have in defence and is genuinely a threat in attack

Widdop  - NRL standard and no one better

7 - expect a bolter from the NRL if we don't use Williams or Smith again - Bennett liked what he saw of Smith v NZ

Hodgson & Clark - best we have and on form

13 - now this interesting, Lockers has the shirt and is the current captain but there are Aussies that qualify

The best left field selection will be Dave Taylor - best qualified UK forward in SL by far and playing 80 minute games so fit as well

Myler is a great support player - don't know how that will fit into the England set up unless its off the bench and use him as a hooker - hes not an organiser

Other than those the field is actually wide open so injuries and form at the back end of the season may well change all that anyway!

But not Tomkins - no speed he will be a liability - he has a lot to prove before he is even considered and Bennet isn't a fan either from some of his comments, or lack of, when asked about Tomkins, always talks away from the issue

The fact theres actual competition for the spine spots is fantastic..

1. Tomkins/hardacre/lomax

6. Widdop/williams...elliot whitehead lol

7. Smith/gale/myler

9. Roby/hodgson/clark

We're in a healthy position at the moment

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Forget Tomkins - he will be a half yard slower and unless he has a few more smarts in the head I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the outer at Wigan end of season

Widdop - NRL standard and no one better

7 - expect a bolter from the NRL if we don't use Williams or Smith again - Bennett liked what he saw of Smith v NZ

13 - now this interesting, Lockers has the shirt and is the current captain but there are Aussies that qualify

The best left field selection will be Dave Taylor - best qualified UK forward in SL by far and playing 80 minute games so fit as well

Myler is a great support player - don't know how that will fit into the England set up unless its off the bench and use him as a hooker - hes not an organiser

Other than those the field is actually wide open so injuries and form at the back end of the season may well change all that anyway!

But not Tomkins - no speed he will be a liability - he has a lot to prove before he is even considered and Bennet isn't a fan either from some of his comments, or lack of, when asked about Tomkins, always talks away from the issue

What aload of nonsense....dave taylor??? lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

What aload of nonsense....dave taylor??? lol

He qualifies. On current form he should be in.

The fact that he qualifies is a whole other matter that annoys me massively.

Widdop  - NRL standard and no one better

You don't know if tomkins will be slower or not. Still got best hands for a fullback out of all options england have. He was one of the best ball playing fullbacks in the world couple of years back.

The thing is, there is a long way to go before the 4 Nations, I think Liam Sutcliffe would make the step up to test footy and would be my England no.6

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

If guys like Myler and Gale are being talked about then I'll throw Sneyd into the conversation aswell. During Hull's recent run he's had to run the attack single handed, and he's really come of age. He is essentially a typical controlling half, but he also has that little bit of maverick about him that the Aussies dont tend to like.

He has to maintain this to the end of the season to prove its more than just a good run of form. But he offers as much as Gale or Myler imo.

Assuming Tomkins gets back to England 2014 levels, then I would go with Tomkins - Widdop - Myler (who has been head and shoulders above anyone else I have seen this year) - O'Loughlin - Roby - Hodgson/Clark

i always think Myler has been harshly criticised through his career, including by Wire fans. Id have him right up there for selection.

1 Tomkins

6 ???

7 Myler

9 Hodgson / Clark

13 O Loughlin / Burgess

I think 6 is a real issue for us. Im not a Widdopp fan, but accept he may be our best option. With Myler at 7 we need a strong kicker at 6.

Myler's looked excellent at times this year behind a monster pack, and he is a decent player.  But when games are tight in the middle and physical (like Batley last night strangely) he can look quite poor and a little frightened even.  Doesn't bode well for playing Test footy.  I'd question if he has the temperament and would go with Gale over him any day.  Tomkins is error prone at FB and defensively average, but his link up play could be massive in the modern game so I'd be torn between him and Hardaker  I'd have preferred him to stick to being a no. 6 tbh I think it suits his game more.  I'd be comfortable with any of Roby/Clark/Hodgson at 9.  O'Loughlin has to be 13 if fit, he's basically a demi-god.

What we did see last year was that despite a great victory over the Kiwis, it was our forwards who won it for us. Not a single back scored a try over three games which has to be unprecedented.

That suggests that our attacking spine just didnt work. For me that puts serious questions around the combinations we used, i dont think it was tactics as we have never been a dour team under McNamara.

Tomkins would help the link play, Myler or Gale would add some energy and spark at 7, Clarke adds pace at 9 and suddenly we look more threatening. I think you can have Widdopp in with his slow pace and hesitation with those players around him.

What we did see last year was that despite a great victory over the Kiwis, it was our forwards who won it for us. Not a single back scored a try over three games which has to be unprecedented.

That suggests that our attacking spine just didnt work. For me that puts serious questions around the combinations we used, i dont think it was tactics as we have never been a dour team under McNamara.

Tomkins would help the link play, Myler or Gale would add some energy and spark at 7, Clarke adds pace at 9 and suddenly we look more threatening. I think you can have Widdopp in with his slow pace and hesitation with those players around him.

I like Myler but he is not good enough in defence right now. He might be protected more in an England team but would still be a liability for this year. If he improves his defence the way he's improved his support play then next year is his chance.

I like Myler but he is not good enough in defence right now. He might be protected more in an England team but would still be a liability for this year. If he improves his defence the way he's improved his support play then next year is his chance.

ive always found Myler to defend above his weight, but its not something ive focused on this year so maybe so

Archived