How may grounds have you been to which are of near 21st century standard?

:huh:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

That's quite clearly the description of Post Office Road by a man who couldn't find it!

That's quite clearly the comment of a man whose knowledge of Post Office Road has been picked up on the streets of Auckland, New Zealand.

I eventually found Post Office Road, though most residents of west Yorkshire, not to mention the residents of Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Cheshire, and all points south and north, would have had as hard a time as I had in finding it.

Had I known about the future appearance of this important thread back in 2007 when I visited Post Office Road, then perhaps I would have paid closer attention to the height of all the stands at Post Office Road.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem.

Sydney only averages less than 8 rainy days per month (more than 1mm) in the League season so I guess they take their chances with open areas.

Most grounds are not full each week and grounds like Parramatta Stadium offer reasonable undercover areas.

Unless you're stood on the hill at either end, then you'll get wet. The ground not being full every week is not a particularly good reason not to provide shelter for the fans though.

And speaking from personal experience, it might not rain as often as in the UK but when it rains in Sydney, it rains!

The long stand at Crown Flatt.

Watersheddings.

Post Office Rd on a December evening.

Craven Park, Barrow, with a good crowd.

Central Park.

Proper RL grounds enjoyed by RL fans - and all suitable for the 21st century that is being mapped out for the British populace.

HTH

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Unless you're stood on the hill at either end, then you'll get wet. The ground not being full every week is not a particularly good reason not to provide shelter for the fans though.

And speaking from personal experience, it might not rain as often as in the UK but when it rains in Sydney, it rains!

The Hills at either end at Parramatta?

They went years ago, its all seated.

Heavy rains in Sydney usually happen in Summer its a sub tropical weather system.

Full Undercover grounds for 20-30 k fans would be impossible financially for basically regional suburban teams.

More people seem concerned about having the Sun in their eyes or getting sunburn than they are about the rain.

I have been to plenty of games in Australia and can count on one hand where the rain has been an issue.

"a" is singular and "criteria" is plural." In the English language they are meant to agree.

So I accidentally put an "a" in the sentence. It was late at night when I replied.

If that's the sole purpose of your argument that your criteria isn't stupid, then I rest my case. It's one of the first internet forum argument "tricks" for people who are desperate.

I won't uncover the grammatical errors in your post, by the way. I'm not that desperate (and someone else already has).

I won't call you stupid because I know that your mind has been focused lately on deeper issues, like how many grounds you have been to where you have sat in all stands. The world has been waiting to know the answer to that one for decades!

I hope you aren't trying to sarcastically claim that you yourself are uncovering deeper issues here? Because all you seem to have done is attract ridicule for such an idiotic thread as per.

My thread was just for fun. And on top of that, it seems to have uncovered an issue that many people have that they didn't realise: that they tend to always stay in the same area when they go to a ground. Many people have said they want to try and move around a bit as a result.

Try Belle Vue for a start. Then try the Willows for seconds...

If you stand a bit more towards the corner, you can see everything in one view.

I don't see how having a panoramic view is the requirement of a 21st-century stadium anyway? Very few people would like to be so far away from the acion that, although they can see everything, everthing is tiny (hence why Odsal is often criticised). Why do you think the seats towards the corners and and the top tiers (the ones with the most panoramic views) are cheaper?

Here's an idea - try turning your head at a game. Then you can see the whole pitch and it's a lot closer!

Oh, and before you start calling other people idiots, try learning the difference between "criterion" and "criteria." You are a native English speaker I take it.

It's quite clear that I meant "criteria" as was originally used, as there is more than one illogical criterion in your original post. It's the "a" that shouldn't have been there if it bothers you that much. Surely you knew that?

Now, if your going to question whether I know what "a" means, then you're truly clutching at straws!

This is an RL forum, not an English Language one. Use a bit of savvy.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

So I accidentally put an "a" in the sentence. It was late at night when I replied.

If that's the sole purpose of your argument that your criteria isn't stupid, then I rest my case. It's one of the first internet forum argument "tricks" for people who are desperate.

I won't uncover the grammatical errors in your post, by the way. I'm not that desperate (and someone else already has).

I hope you aren't trying to sarcastically claim that you yourself are uncovering deeper issues here? Because all you seem to have done is attract ridicule for such an idiotic thread as per.

My thread was just for fun. And on top of that, it seems to have uncovered an issue that many people have that they didn't realise: that they tend to always stay in the same area when they go to a ground. Many people have said they want to try and move around a bit as a result.

If you stand a bit more towards the corner, you can see everything in one view.

I don't see how having a panoramic view is the requirement of a 21st-century stadium anyway? Very few people would like to be so far away from the acion that, although they can see everything, everthing is tiny (hence why Odsal is often criticised). Why do you think the seats towards the corners and and the top tiers (the ones with the most panoramic views) are cheaper?

Here's an idea - try turning your head at a game. Then you can see the whole pitch and it's a lot closer!

It's quite clear that I meant "criteria" as was originally used, as there is more than one illogical criterion in your original post. It's the "a" that shouldn't have been there if it bothers you that much. Surely you knew that?

Now, if your going to question whether I know what "a" means, then you're truly clutching at straws!

This is an RL forum, not an English Language one. Use a bit of savvy.

How many grounds have you been in all of the Stands again Wellsy?

:rolleyes:

I have been to most of those:

KC in Hull

DW in Wigan

Galpharm in Huddersfield

Gilbert Brutus in Perpignan

Ernest Wallon in Toulouse

Elland Road in Leeds

The Stoop in London

Twickenham in London

Wembley in London

Murrayfield in Edinburgh

Milllenium in Cardiff

I've been to most of these and here's what I think.

Galpharm - award winning architecture, a very good stadium indeed.

KC - a fine stadium. Always enjoy the trips there.

DW - a good stadium but seems to be on an industrial estate miles from anywhere

Elland Road - I wouldn't spend another 80 minutes there under any circumstances. Not fit for the 21st century.

The Stoop - I really like it, but it's in the wrong place

Twickenham - dreadful soulless place which looks like a nuclear power station from outside

Wembley - fantastic, and designed by the same bloke that did the Galpharm. Have a look at the Galpharm roof, then have a look at the Wembley arch - notice the similarities?

Millenium - fantastic stadium

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

I think he probably means that every seat can see all the pitch with no posts holding the roof up or floodlight towers in the way. Most modern stadia have this.

Odsal doesn't for example.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

The Hills at either end at Parramatta?

They went years ago, its all seated.

Heavy rains in Sydney usually happen in Summer its a sub tropical weather system.

Full Undercover grounds for 20-30 k fans would be impossible financially for basically regional suburban teams.

More people seem concerned about having the Sun in their eyes or getting sunburn than they are about the rain.

I have been to plenty of games in Australia and can count on one hand where the rain has been an issue.

You're right about Parramatta, but there is no cover at either end. Surely if Warrington, Widnes, Leigh, St Helens, etc. can provide cover on all sides then the NRL clubs should be able to.

Watched the Newcastle v Manly game yesterday. It was raining!