Guess what, cricket once again

I was reading about Chris Gayle an I found the echoes of a controversy caused by his doubts about the future of Test cricket. In a forum I read a post of a fan of Test cricket defending the format, saying something I struggle to understand. According to this Test cricket fan, if T20 was the only form of cricket to be played, no kid would like to become a bowler anymore. Maybe he was wrong, but why would someone say such a thing ? I have watched some cricket recently but I am miles away from a decent understanding of it.

That is a good question.

I think that factors favour the batsmen in Twenty20.

The pitches are usually batsman friendly as spectators like to see boundaries. Also, each bowler can only bowl four overs.

Also they cannot be too aggressive and try to take wickets all the time because the fields are usually defensive. Containment is more important than in test cricket.

Yes, T20 as a format is focused on big hitting and run scoring but there is a definite movement, even on the deadest pitches, to finding bowling that counteracts that.  Granted, we're never going back to run economies of under four an over (the first first 60 over game I saw was considered reasonably high scoring at 220 a side) but being able to take wickets or restrict runs at key parts is coming into T20 as a valued commodity.

I think it's a somewhat out of date view to say that nobody would want to be a bowler now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It is a good point about run rates. I forgot to mention Powerplays and fielding restrictions also make it difficult for a bowler.

However as you say the bowlers are adapting and finding new ways to be effective.

I think one definite change is that a bowler who can also bat has a definite advantage for selection in twenty20.

ok but I remember in the last T20 world cup, England bowled in the last over with 18 runs to defend. The bowler could have been the hero. He wasn't, but still all eyes were on him. So I guess a bowler can be at the heart of the game in T20 too. Am I wrong ?

There are new rule proposals from the MCC that will limit bat size, among other things like red cards. That might re-balance T20 a little.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived