The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

Super League will feature 12 teams from the 2015 season after Rugby League’s elite clubs today agreed to a key change to the structure of their competition.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P and r 1 up one down for me, Toulouse in and protected for five years. Champ grand final will be massive, cru promoted within 3 years!

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

great news - hope they go for the option of the half way split as well 
as for toulouse - they didnt do much on their last venture so ludicrous that they should be put in the SL and protected 
if they want to have a crack then fine but they should start at the bottom 

edited because I can't be bothered having this argument again.

Edited by nadera78

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Good old Sid and Doris! You were right after all. Bring it on!

What's their surname again?

The self serving parochials have made their bed let them lie in it. I just hope there's a game to enjoy in the not too distant future

Will it stop the whingeing about how unfair everything is? No doubt there'll be something else

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Disaster.

Now the 'least bad' option is the rubbish we had for years and ruined club after club. The worst option is, well, awful.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I honestly don't really give a toss one way or another what the format is, I'd just quite like us to decide on it, then leave well alone for ages and bloody ages. We never know what the best format is because it's never left long enough to find its feet as it were.

Oh, and if we try and get 27 league games out of it I'll be less than pleased.

12 is still 2 too many.

Sometimes I'd really like a *shakes head slowly in frustration* smiley, this one will have to do. :banghead:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

What's their surname again?

The self serving parochials have made their bed let them lie in it. I just hope there's a game to enjoy in the not too distant future

Will it stop the whingeing about how unfair everything is? No doubt there'll be something else

and here`s me thinking it was the S/L clubs that had voted for it

Coming soon: Back to winter, unlimited tackles and proper scrums.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The game isn't big enough and hasn't got enough fans to exclude clubs, especially clubs in the heartlands where the games got its biggest following.

It seems to me that a lot of people on here want a closed shop sl with some expansion teams getting chucked in every few year replacing some of the smaller teams. To me that's just going to alienate fans in the championship when there clubs have nothing to play for and they'll just stop going. Clubs will either end up being feeder clubs or going bust. Plus surely it would be better for a club like Toulouse to come up through the championship than just being chucked into sl at the depend?

For me we need some form of p&r but with minimum standards where if you win your league and meet the standards set you get promoted, no applying and getting knocked back. Raise the cap in the cc so that the clubs that can afford to spend more can so there's not as big a jump to make if they do make sl, and introduce teams like Toulouse into the cc, give them the same chance of getting sl as everyone else. Give clubs something to fight for and it would make for more intense games IMO

As long as a robust criteria is set for promotion (a la RFU) then this is great news.

It will breathe new life in to the Championships, and with 6 clubs all but prepared for the step up we should see some cracking games over the next few years@

I agree completely with this, while the current system has helped push clubs to getting there houses in order there's still no guarantee of promotion from the cc. Promotion with minimum standard would be the way to go for me

I agree completely with this, while the current system has helped push clubs to getting there houses in order there's still no guarantee of promotion from the cc. Promotion with minimum standard would be the way to go for me

I suppose that is better than the discredited previous system

But it's just going to confine the game to its ghetto for the foreseeable future I'm afraid

Roll out the stereotypes

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

There will still be P&R from Championship into Championship 1.

All the talk has been of one up and one down but if Toulouse come directly in to SL, then 3 clubs will be relegated to the Championship and FIVE current Championship teams will be relegated in to Championship 1 with no-one promoted. I can't see how that will be good for the Championships!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.