What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's another npr link that goes to their archive. It covers live concerts back to the 60s and it's all downloadable. I got a McLaughlin/Hendrix concert from Madison Sq Garden from 69? (70?)

Never heard that version Dave, I will check it out.

There's a live George Thorogood album I used to own which has a great version of that, as well as 'Bad to the Bone'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you enjoyed the TV series 'Cradle to Grave', someone's assembled a Spotify playlist of the songs featured: https://open.spotify.com/user/chaileyjem/playlist/5RunpB1LJVHHylMLQIphHT

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll have to watch all 4+ hours of this to tell if it is The Band's legendary 'Last Waltz' concert in full, without Scorsese's interruptions. But it looks and sounds like it might be.  B)

Yes, it certainly appears to be the full gig, including (unfortunately) the entire poetry section. Just one camera angle, but you get a feeling for the performance without any post-production and overdubs. 

I bailed out of watching when the all-star jams started, though. They are also available as extras on the DVD and are best avoided.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, it certainly appears to be the full gig, including (unfortunately) the entire poetry section.

I quite like Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Loud Prayer but I guess it's strength could be in it's brevity. Is it just Ferlinghetti or are there other poets?

I quite like Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Loud Prayer but I guess it's strength could be in it's brevity. Is it just Ferlinghetti or are there other poets?

There were 4 or 5 of them, all in one indigestible chunk in the middle of the gig - thankfully they only got to read one poem each.

I suppose it gave people a chance for a bathroom break.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks to that confused.com advert with the robots, this has been in my head all day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The day that David Bowie was given a couple of hours to DJ on Radio 1 in 1979.

Listen to the show, which featured this playlist:

The Doors, “Love Street”

Iggy Pop, “TV Eye”

John Lennon, “Remember”

? & The Mysterians, “96 Tears”

Edward Elgar, “The Nursery Suite” (extract)

Danny Kaye, “Inchworm”

Philip Glass, “Trial Prison”

The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”

Mars, “Helen Fordsdale”

Little Richard, “He’s My Star”

King Crimson, “21st Century Schizoid Man”

Talking Heads, “Warning Sign”

Jeff Beck, “Beck’s Bolero”

Ronnie Spector, “Try Some, Buy Some”

Marc Bolan, “20th Century Boy”

The Mekons, “Where Were You?”

Steve Forbert, “Big City Cat”

The Rolling Stones, “We Love You”

Roxy Music, “2HB”

Bruce Springsteen, “It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City”

Stevie Wonder, “Fingertips”

Blondie, “Rip Her To Shreds”

Bob Seger, “Beautiful Loser”

David Bowie, “Boys Keep Swinging”

David Bowie, “Yassassin”

Talking Heads, “Book I Read”

Roxy Music, “For Your Pleasure”

King Curtis, “Something On Your Mind”

The Staple Singers, “Lies”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dirty Fan Male, by Jonny Trunk & Wisbey.

How to describe this very NSFW album? Hmm... well Jonny Trunk's sister used to work for an agency that dealt with 'glamour' models. Johnny ended up getting the job of dealing with correspondence from people who were devout fans of the girls. He kept the strangest and funniest letters, for his personal amusement.

Years later, running his own label Trunk Records, he got the impressionist Duncan Wisbey to 'perform' the letters for a live show. Wisbey reads them in the voice of people like Cary Grant, James Mason or Alan Bennett. Oh, and they set some of them to music. 

What can I say? It is very funny in its own odd way. Here's some excerpts from side A. But, as I said, NSFW!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One for the Soul Music fans.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Cooke - Tribute to the Lady. A 1959 album of songs made famous by Billie Holiday.

Ralph Waldo Emerson