Bennett unfair to SL Clubs, Players?......or a welcome wind of change for Internationals?

http://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/sport/saints/cunningham-blasts-bennett-s-unfair-england-plans-1-7993014

KC rightly points out that Bennetts 'plan' will affect Coaches. But will Bennetts demands (maybe too strong a word but I would rather it was demands) mean a change in RFL approach and our Comps? Will CEOs back it?

Does getting a player into an International team mean successful coaching? Does losing, with a depleted team mean the Coach is poor?

Throws up a mountain of questions.

What's his problem with mid season internationals? Just because he ducked out of international games doesn't mean that present SL players should be encouraged to do so.

Look.....lets get to the crux of the problem, we play far too many club games. That is the problem the sport in this country is faced with, magic weekend and extended super 8 qualifiers etc all add a toll on the players welfare plus the challenge cup and world club series it's just too much. The club game just does not add any impetus or value to the sport nationally whilst internationals should always serve as an entry point for increasing national interest.

One of his issues is availability to prep for the forthcoming season.

Seems quite obvious to you, and me, Clubs are players are playing too many games. Easy for KC to potshot Bennett, but why not the current system? It was here before Bennett.

Seriously, how many St Helens players will be impacted by this? Roby maybe Walmsley or Lomax at an absolute push. The problem is the insane amount of fixtures our clubs play. If we want to play 35 games a season then bring in a cap on the amount of club games a player can play - say 28 max.

We have hired a coach to bring to an end a 40-year drought. Let him do his job.

Seriously, how many St Helens players will be impacted by this? Roby maybe Walmsley or Lomax at an absolute push. The problem is the insane amount of fixtures our clubs play. If we want to play 35 games a season then bring in a cap on the amount of club games a player can play - say 28 max.

We have hired a coach to bring to an end a 40-year drought. Let him do his job.

Nobody allowed to have an opinion then?

The problem lies with the RFL for continually increasing the number of games players have to play, not with Wayne Bennett. Besides, as a Saints fan I would love for some of our players to spend 2 weeks training at a higher standard with a better quality coach.

The number of games is down to the club chairmen pushing for more so they get more home gates...

The clubs have the RFL over a barrell and both know it

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

But what the clubs fail to realize is that the more successful england are the bigger super league will be...

But clubs are too selfserving...highlighted by the lack of a decent reserve or under 20/21s...where the hell are the next gen supposed to come from??? But they are saving money so who cares!

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Nobody allowed to have an opinion then?

Of course but the RFL should be working more closely with clubs to get them to understand their vision. That is the link between team England and a home World Cup in 2021 which could gross £30-40m.

Bennett has been brought into end the drought. He is going to say some things which club chairman and coaches don't want to hear. A bit like Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares.

Of course but the RFL should be working more closely with clubs to get them to understand their vision. That is the link between team England and a home World Cup in 2021 which could gross £30-40m.

Bennett has been brought into end the drought. He is going to say some things which club chairman and coaches don't want to hear. A bit like Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares.

I agree exactly with your last paragraph and that's my gist in the thread. Something has to give.

KC seems to issue a guarded threat.

I actually agree with gim on the January thing. We shouldnt be messing with clubs pre-seasons.

If we are playing a mid-season test or two then training camps should be around that.

I dont believe England should have players for 6 weeks in Oct/Nov and then again in Jan. Surely you want to see them going for a few months in SL and get them back together?

Nope, the reason for that proposal is that we have hired an overseas coach based in the NRL. As silly as test matches in Dubai just so players dont travel as far.

Not often I agree with Cunningham on anything, but we cant just do stupid things simply because we have an Aussie coach.

Whats the situation with the Australian based players?

Even though they play less games does anyone seriously think they would be allowed join the rest of the squad in this?

It would be another kick in the teeth for England from Bennett if it  was to only involve UK based players.

Whats the situation with the Australian based players?

Even though they play less games does anyone seriously think they would be allowed join the rest of the squad in this?

It would be another kick in the teeth for England from Bennett if it  was to only involve UK based players.

I can't see it being just UK based players.

With what is proposed, (based on the St Helens media) UK coaches will kick up big style. Radford released a couple this season, some coaches criticised him and I seem to remember Wane saying he wouldn't have done it. Also, Radford suffered Pritchard being banned, which didn't go down well.

More Internationals are a must. I would have thought this plan would have been part of the interview process, when Bennett was appointed.

With what is proposed, (based on the St Helens media) UK coaches will kick up big style. Radford released a couple this season, some coaches criticised him and I seem to remember Wane saying he wouldn't have done it. Also, Radford suffered Pritchard being banned, which didn't go down well.

More Internationals are a must. I would have thought this plan would have been part of the interview process, when Bennett was appointed.

There are a number of issues here: the number of games players have to be in, the lack of depth ( reserve grade?)  coaches whose job is on the line, and clubs trying to make ends meet. Added to this the question of the quality of the games themselves, which I'm not altogether convinced about in this age of keyboard renting clothes and gnashing of teeth, but these may all have to be addressed at the same time in order for the issues of Bennet v SL coaches to move forward.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

There is no chance clubs in Australia will release players for this, it's hard enough to get them released for a game

There is no chance clubs in Australia will release players for this, it's hard enough to get them released for a game

I would back Wayne Bennett to get NRL clubs to comply if he got the all clear for the schedule.

Do you really think Souths would release the Burgess bros at that time of year, especially if they had played Autumn test's?

Souths released Sam Burgess to fly to the UK for a one-off test versus France in June 2010 - so yes.

I despair at times with the game.

At the moment England has managed to entice the most high profile, successful coach in the NRL. We all know that to achieve his long term success Bennett leaves no stone unturned.

This is the games biggest chance for donkeys years to have a successful England team and, hopefully, grow the game on the back of any success we have.

I can understand KC's stance but I believe for the good of the WHOLE game at this period of time the England coach should be given every possible assistance.

At the moment England has managed to entice the most high profile, successful coach in the NRL. We all know that to achieve his long term success Bennett leaves no stone unturned.

This is the games biggest chance for donkeys years to have a successful England team and, hopefully, grow the game on the back of any success we have.

I can understand KC's stance but I believe for the good of the WHOLE game at this period of time the England coach should be given every possible assistance.

Maybe KC is more concerned with losing his job?

More SL games played has substituted Internationals. The overall physical intensity of the game has increased with rest times reduced, medical staff are now larger and a key component in success in keeping players available. He won't be on his own.

KC doesn't say he's against International games, but against the proposal. For me, this pressure is an ideal opportunity to flesh out our lack of regular International competition.

Souths released Sam Burgess to fly to the UK for a one-off test versus France in June 2010 - so yes.

When did this Test happen?

I do not think Bennett has any influence with his rival Coaches in the NRL to release players at all.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

When did this Test happen?

I do not think Bennett has any influence with his rival Coaches in the NRL to release players at all.

12 June 2010 England 60 France 6. Of course Bennett will have more influence - he is an NRL coach and he is working in the NRL. He has got a much better chance than Nigel Wood phoning around NRL clubs.

12 June 2010 England 60 France 6. Of course Bennett will have more influence - he is an NRL coach and he is working in the NRL. He has got a much better chance than Nigel Wood phoning around NRL clubs.

I don't know why its not listed as a Test in RLProject, it must be an oversight. well picked up Scubby.

Bennett may have a better chance than Nigel Wood for sure.

Will he have any influence on the self interested NRL Coaches and their seasons preparation?.... I am not sure about that. 

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I suspect that having players at the very end of the season, and then at the start of the next one before they have completed their pre-season is not the optimal solution. It will be one that Bennett has suggested because he is based in Oz and has club commitments. Similar to his Dubai suggestion - it is about circumstances rather than being the best solution for the game.

Let's go for the right solution rather than fudging things to make it fit in. Personally that would have involved Bennett being an assistant to a full time coach in the lead up to the World Cup rather than Bennett who hasn't been impressive so far with his media presence, demands to clubs or his apparent approaches to NRL players.

Archived