Summer Bash 2016

Was thinking about this when the club announced the prices for season tickets to include Summer Bash entry yesterday.

Looking at the 2016 Championship, is it reasonable to assume that the following match-ups are likely to take place at the Summer Bash next year (I haven't seen anything to suggest the games have already been decided and publicised)?

Workington v Whitehaven
Batley v Dewsbury
Swinton v Oldham

those all seem very likely to me - I can't see either of the promoted Lancashire teams being asked to take on Leigh, and pairing them with each other looks the most obvious move.

That leaves us, Leigh, Bradford, Fax, London & Sheffield.

Got a feeling they won't want a repeat of last year's Leigh/Fev game given it probably wasn't the greatest advert for Championship rugby. No surprise if they want to keep Bradford/Fax, that's a logical fixture to have. Maybe Leigh v Sheffield and us v London? Just guessing, obviously. Us facing Bradford or Fax might be better for us in terms of atmosphere, but would be another stiff task for us to face a top 4 side from last year having faced the champions from the previous year.

Though the three match ups below look likely I am not totally convinced they are nailed on (though I suspect the Swinton v Oldham one is)

Workington v Whitehaven
Batley v Dewsbury
Swinton v Oldham

However if you assume that they are, i think it unlikely that any of the top 4 from this year would be allowed to play London (may be deemed an unfair advantage). Therefore a Fev/London game looks likely and assuming that they go with a 1v2 and 3v4 ranking for other games that would give:

Bradford v Leigh

Halifax v Sheffield

Fev v London

Batley v Dewsbury
Workington v Whitehaven

Swinton v Oldham

For me why not go with a 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, etc from 2015 which would give you:

Bradford v Leigh

Halifax v Sheffield

Fev v Dewsbury

London v Workington

Batley v Whitehaven

Swinton v Oldham

Then depending on how the 2 days are set up, you can see the Dewsbury fans turning up to support Whitehaven, Workington fans shouting for London, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

For me why not go with a 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, etc from 2015 which would give you:

Bradford v Leigh

Halifax v Sheffield

Fev v Dewsbury

London v Workington

Batley v Whitehaven

Swinton v Oldham

Then depending on how the 2 days are set up, you can see the Dewsbury fans turning up to support Whitehaven, Workington fans shouting for London, etc.

Sounds good to me.......to balance the crowds i'd have the Fev, Fax and Oldham games on one day as these will have decent followings....then the leigh v bradford game will take up most of the fans for the other 3 fixtures.

With all due respect if you had Bradford, Fax and Fev on the first day the crowd would be pretty poor on the other.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

I was under the impression we had to play Leigh last year because of the league positions the year before. While I agree with you that fax and Bradford would make for a cracking game is it right to just move the goal posts?

Then again is the RFL

Local derbies paired up quite nicely for 2015 and there weren't too many league places separating the contestants, so it looks like the others were paired to make an even contest, apart from one- Doncaster V Hunslet which looked like a mis-match at the start of the season, but look how that turned out! But what if Doncaster had been as strong as in 2014, and Hunslet had done slightly better and gone down purely as a consequence of the Summer Bash fixtures?

It should be 1 v 2, 3 v 4, all the way down, on the Super 8 placings. That way Fax would play Bulls, Leigh V Sheffield, Fev V Rams, London v Workington, Batley V Whitehaven, Oldham v Swinton. It has to be that way to be fair if the winner still gets two points, because those points could make all the difference in Top 4 qualification and relegation places, and the money that goes with it.

It should be the same in Super League too, no club wants to end up in the bottom 4 purely because of a mis-matched fixture at Magic Weekend!

I agree, if league positions are used to pair teams to their closest rival it matches teams who won similar prize money in the previous year. No good having a team that won £750K against someone who won £250K or less.

They obviously want a big crowd to finish the weekend with, and Fax v Sheffield would have had too many empty seats. At least the RFL have confidence in Fev to make a game of it. Short-sightedness by the RFL though after all the trouble between the fans in past years, so they throw them together in Blackpool. Massive game in terms of top 4 qualification though, along with Sheffield v London.

Even though the Season Ticket includes the Blackpool fixture I'll give it a miss. I don't agree with the format or the way the fixtures are selected.

Me neither phil though as I'm in france the decision is already made for me.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Even though the Season Ticket includes the Blackpool fixture I'll give it a miss. I don't agree with the format or the way the fixtures are selected.

Totally agree.  Plus why do the Yorkshire clubs have to trail over to that **** hole again.  I mean, if they think the seaside will draw the crowds in, why not alternate and have this years Its a Knockout in Scarborough..............

The only fair system is to play each team home and away. The Summer Bash should be changed to a 9s competition and teams can take it as seriously (or not) as they want

Agreed. Never liked this "extra" fixture and it cost us last year facing the top team from the regular season.

Agreed. Never liked this "extra" fixture and it cost us last year facing the top team from the regular season.

Don't think we can blame that one game for the season

We all need to get there if we can and support the players that run out for us

Don't think we can blame that one game for the season

We all need to get there if we can and support the players that run out for us

Absolutely not, no-one's blaming that game, we weren't good enough. But it highlights the inequality of the system. I think it's an unnecessary extra.

And of course, Fev fans will go and watch Fev, anywhere and everywhere.

Absolutely not, no-one's blaming that game, we weren't good enough. But it highlights the inequality of the system. I think it's an unnecessary extra.

And of course, Fev fans will go and watch Fev, anywhere and everywhere.

We were good enough untill Wood got sent off.

Archived