Olympic Sevens

With the London Olympics only two years away I wondered how the Rugby Sevens side will be chosen.

Do players have to be regfistered with a RU club or is anyone eligible for selection?

Who will select the squad?

Most importantly, will RL players (and anyone else) be eligible for selection?

A genuine question BTW - I have no idea what the answers are.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I would imagine that a player needs to be registered with an RU team to play.

I think that all the top RL players should register with an RU team (maybe one they form specifically for the purpose) and then push the issue.

People called Romans they go the house

I thought that the ARU were wanting GI & Thurston to switch codes before the 2016 Olympics so the could play for the Wallabie 7s squad but why would they? RL is far better that RU 7s. :D Due to the all the huge amount of space wouldn't Inglis run ring around his opponants & not really find it any sort of competition?

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Sevens isn't on at the 2012 games.

My mistake. Is it 2016 then?

Plenty of time for the Aussies to find a way then. ;)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I would imagine that a player needs to be registered with an RU team to play.

I think that all the top RL players should register with an RU team (maybe one they form specifically for the purpose) and then push the issue.

It'll be slap bang in the middle of the Super League season, so I think the RL clubs might have an issue with players re-registering with RU clubs if it does come to that.

Vainikolo and Vaikona were included in the Tonga squad for the union 7s at the Commonwealth games a few years back - Bradford were in the playoffs so they didn't play

It's obvious to anybody with eyes to see that the most competitive 7s team Australia could produce would be made up almost entirely of RL players. Australian taxpayers funding the Olympic team should be demanding the best return for their money.

I'm pretty sure the same comments could also be applied to GB but the British establishment will close ranks to keep RL players out.

With the London Olympics only two years away I wondered how the Rugby Sevens side will be chosen.

Do players have to be regfistered with a RU club or is anyone eligible for selection?

Its rugby union sevens so yes, they'd have to have been playing rugby union.

For how long they will have to have played hasn't been established yet as its still some time away.

What is more interesting is how a sport like Rugby Union 7's has been allowed into the Olympic Games in the first place - in terms of participation there are many more deserving candidiates.

It couldn't be that Jaques Rogge is a rugger-###### and all the members of the IOC are establishment jolly-old-boys now could it?