Were we trying?

glemiln

To lose a must win game 46-28 after leading 16-10 it would seem that the answer is no. After the effort and heroics v Crusaders twice and nearly so v Keighley last week, the result is deeply disappointing.    Of course, we could win our last and Crusaders lose both their games, but that would be clutching at many straws in the wind!

Even if that did happen, it would hide the fact that until we start to address our defensive problems on a regular basis, we shall go nowhere in any league.

This was supposed to be our best squad for some time - now for some serious questions and answers.

Hope that Ratu is ok and hope that at least we finish a not so good season with a win in style.

I didn't go but for me this result sums up our season. I thought that we had a squad that would compete with the top clubs and would be in the mix at the end but I was obviously wrong. Looks like I have seen my last game this season as our last home match has a Saturday 5-30 KO which I can't make.

The bookmakers were a little out with their 2 point margin before the game.

Well done Mayfield today as they put 72 points past East Leeds.

Some absolutely fabulous open rugby that cut Leeds to pieces. It was a joy to watch. They obviously have a coach who had attacking ideas and a side skilful enough to put them into practice. The set plays were a joy to behold.

Well done lads.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

At 6-16 up you were looking very good.

Barrow then turned up and enjoyed their best 40 minutes of their season to take the game away from you.

I'm a bit surprised that some of your supporters seem to think that a win against Barrow at Barrow would be a God given right. Barrow are a big club with one of the best attendances in the league. There were over 800 there tonight and with that level of support should be playing at a higher level.

Next year Barrow have committed to pushing for promotion, this year the target was to stabilise the club and get rid of the historic debt. That has been achieved and new targets have been set.

So next year may well see a change in fortune for the Cumbrians.

But, back to the original question were your lads trying?

Yes they were. As I said Barrrow played some great rugby for 40 minutes in the middle period of the game but even when the game was in the bag your lads served notice that they should not be dismissed by playing some champagne rugby of their own.

I wrote that Barrow are a big club, well so are Rochdale. Get behind them and turn up in numbers.

Your players are trying and deserve your support. They didn't lose yesterday because they didn't try, give some credit to the opposition who also had something to play for and prove to their supporters.

See you next year.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

It's been a horrible frustrating season for me, I posted something similar weeks ago and got a fair bit of stick, Anita's Post above makes pretty grim reading.

I'm sick of hearing 'we are doing our best, really unlucky, loads of effort, the RFL disciplinary have cost us our season, It's not the coaches fault we knock-on, at least we are above Newcastle who've spent more than us, get behind the lads, stop being so negative etc etc'

We have no devine right to be in the play-off

spots it's a very competitive league without question however, we have the best squad with depth we've had for a good few years, yet our away form, defence and ability to get the win at the bigger teams has again been our undoing yet again (Groundhog Day) we will finish this season with a quiet whimper. Look at what Swinton and York have ahieved this season and the off-field problems they've faced, even the Biffos consistently finish at the top of the league despite almost always blowing it at the final hurdle.

The problem for me is more fundamental it rests solely with the inabilities of our coach for me, his tactics are one dimensional, any creativity is coached out of the team. He has not addressed the shaky defence we've seen for 3 years, our discipline is poor and we really 'dont fancy it' and have capitulated in a fair few away games vs. the better teams and he doesn't seem to be able to motivate the team enough regularly enough. His loyalty to players with Saints connections is a worry also. Some of our fans and most of the board can't see it or won't admit to it which is a real shame.

Time for a change on the coaching front, I've heard the rumours Tol is going, and the dual reg partnership may well also come to a natural end anyway (BTW I don't mind dual reg it's worked to a point for us) however I get the impression Cunningham isn't as keen on it as Nathan Brown was. Brown and the saints senior staff used to be at home games regularly, I'm not sure I've seen Cunningham at all this season, but that's not really much to do with our results this season, but mark my words if Saints don't feel it's working for them they will drop Hornets like a stone.

The appointment of Dave Woods to the coaching team may be more significant than we realise. A change must happen quick if we are to move forward on the pitch and start recruitment for next year unless we are all happy to except this season as the norm and just carry on regardless.

I spat my dummy out weeks ago and haven't

been since, (I'm a member with 2 season tickets holders in the family and travel 50 miles for home games so don't give me, 'you must support the lads business') I could see what was coming (wouldn't make the play-offs) and it hurt.

I got loads of stick then when I posed a good few weeks ago I'm sure I'll get it now but we are entitled as members and season ticket holders to say negative things also, in the hope that somebody listens and doesn't chastise you for having a non-standard opinion.

The club has made huge strides off the field recently, brilliant! I'm very happy the board is without doubt doing a top job. It's now time to address the playing front and future direction of the team.

Talbot is not the man to take us forward, nobody can take away the play off win from him, awesome achievement but there's no place for sentiment, we must move forward on the pitch now, how many times over the last couple of seasons gave we blown 'must win, season defining' games? Far too many.

The board released a business plan to us members last autumn with a target of being straight back in the championship, we won't now achieve that so that already put the business plan back as income will be less than projected.

I will think seriously about renewing my season tickets for next season if we don't make that change in approach on the playing front and I'll pick and choose my games next season. I'll always remain a Hornets fan through thick and thin as I have been for the last 30 years but I just don't believe in the guy anymore, and refuse to spend my weekends coming home frustrated as the problems are there for all to see. I've not felt like this for years supporting the Nets, believe me as we all have I've seen some poor poor sides in the past but as mentioned above my issue now is more fundamental it's about the vision, direction and ambition of the club, previous years was only all about putting a team in the field, we are really close to being so much more under the current structure, do we really honestly want to be the best we can be or are we happy with our lot just plodding along? can / will we address what for me is the obvious problem?

As fans and most importantly as a club, can we say hand on heart we've given this season our best shot, and couldn't have done anymore?

Time for a change IMO, thanks for your time effort, commitment and all you've done Tol that day in Leigh will never ever be forgotten but it has to be thank you and goodbye.

Of course we tried, you have to credit Barrow,We were well in the game until they put a number 7 on from the bench and he proceeded to have a blinder.Got Barrow going and we had no answer.Too hot to handle.

The score may look bad due to our desperation to  get back in the game.

We did score some excellent tries.

Didn't try ... common guys your lads tried their hearts out you were just beaten by a better team last night simple as

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Bearman's last line is pertinent "(Barrow) the opposition who also had something to play for and prove to their supporters". Our record on their patch in recent times isn't good reading, but we had our last chance for a play-off place last night and most (here at least!) would have expected a much closer contest.  Barrow's last minute defeat at Keighley showed how hard it would be for us and the 80 minute commitment needed.   We have replicated this occasionally, but sadly not last night and not often enough this season when it mattered.

We shall not be alone in our disappointment, but it's no consolation.

Now is the time to put in place a structure to meet next season's challenge and beyond.

I just hope that we do not mess around for ages - let's start next season as well as we intend to go - onwards.

I believe that RFL finance for League 1 clubs is about half of that of the lowest clubs in the Championship, which adds to the pressures of our operating on lower gates and revenue streams.  It will get harder each season with two seasoned Championship teams added and further improvement from the southern clubs.

Whoever goes up will find it very hard to stay up.It doesn't look likely that there will be any change in Super League.

Next year there will be something to play for should you not make the top 5.Toulose coming in.We have had our moments this year. Crusaders home and away, Lions at home, Newcastle away,add other close losses.

No need to go into depression. What we have going for us is solvency and a superb ground. The southern clubs have got a good deal worse apart from Coventry.Next year it will be the same probably.A top 8 free for all.

Make no mistake Rochdale fans your team played really well and were definitely up for it , Liam Campbell and brad marwood were the difference on the night .

The last four games for the raiders have shown a massive improvement in there game compared to most of the season

Don't be to disheartened and keep faith in a very good team ,you will be amongst the top teams next year with the raiders of course

Yes Hornets did play well at Barrow and certainly never threw the towel in.

Their downfall was easy to explain, poor discipline by certain players and beaten by a better team on the night.

To blame our coach for all the teams faults is a bit unfair given that the players obviously do not stick to any sort of game plan that they practice on the training field.

Everyone keeps saying that this was the best squad of players for many a day and perhaps that's true but since the start of the season we have lost at least three props to other clubs or injury. We lost Mike Ratu for most of the season and everybody knows that on his day he is amongst the best in our division.

Even super league clubs would be at a huge disadvantage to lose three recognised props.

Yes I am just as frustrated as everyone else with our results but feel good about our financial health compared with some other clubs.

Don't think we should be spitting the dummy but looking at the positives about the club we all love.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

Archived