The NRL grand Final could move to New Zealand

It's a very likely scenario Walter. Melbourne will struggle to host whilst NRL and AFL Grand Finals are on the same weekend.

In case you are betting and short of holding the information you say is so critical, I would advise you spread your bets on Brissie and Auckland.

If its one year itll be the mcg surely given they got 90,000 for state of origin

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

If its one year itll be the mcg surely given they got 90,000 for state of origin

that would be in serious doubt in my opinion. That would require a couple of unlikely scenarios.

Preparing a pitch for RL after a full day of AFL within 24 hours being one.

It would also require the Melbourne public to come out in droves over two consecutive days.

The sheer domination of AFL in the build up to the GF in Melbourne would consume the NRL spectacle. The AFL would delay any decision on which weekend the GF would be played on until immediately after the NRL have made their own decision. They would set it to the same weekend.

There is too much for the NRL to lose by playing in Melbourne. If you want a wild card, think Perth. Safe money is on Bris and Auck.

As it will be at least one (possibly 2) grand finals that will be away from Sydney, each should be put up for tender individually IMO.

That way eg Eden Park could bid for 2019 and may win against Melbourne and Adelaide whilst Brisbane could win 2020 against Perth and Wellington.

The tender process at least gives the NRL the ability to assess how successful the GF would be in other places and reveals how coveted the event is by other cities.

No I reckon the SCG in some kind of nostalgic episode. Plus I think it has a slightly bigger capacity.

Very much doubt this, the ARLC has a golden opportunity to take the Grand Final away from Sydney that they may never get again. Brisbane is a lock for one Auckland, Perth or Melbourne for the other. Melbourne would be doubtful to me, the NRL wouldn't their showpiece event overshadowed by the AFL Grand Final.

The RFL should put a bid in to host the game at Wembley. Well it's the only way I'll get to see one live.

OK we know it won't happen,but if it did it would sell out and generate a lot of media attention here, and a huge amount of media attention in Australia and New Zealand. It would dwarf anything else going on in Australia that that weekend.

Brisbane

Good option but the one thing going against Lang Park is the Capacity of just 52,000. It wont make as much money as the Olympic Stadium. If one of the Queensland teams make the final it will sell out very quickly. Easy for teams & fans to fly to. Has regularly hosted top RL events and sold out

Auckland

Interesting and has many positives for it. The bad point is any Aussie fans would need to fly over to the game and would be expensive. Would around 40,000 fans be able to get there? 50-60,000 people is good, but again way short of what normally attend in Sydney.

Perth

Again similar to Auckland and the cost of a flight out there plus is it poss for 40,000 or so fans to fly there in such a short space of time? Plus its a 5 hour flight which is asking a lot of the players who no doubt have other commitments like the Dally Ms and stuff during the week. An expensive option I feel for many

Melbourne 

The NRL could easily move the Grand Final Forward or Back by a week. The City of Melbourne and Victorian Government has thron millions at the game to capture SoO, Internationals and maybe would look to do the same for the GF and would be another top sporting event to be held. It is a possibility and with 90,000 potential fans would be the big money winner and a great way to promote the game again to the AFL audience. With Melbourne Storm getting 4 attendances over 20,000 this year in a row the interest is growing in the region for Rugby League. But will the game get anywhere near 90,000? Will the Government be prepared to spend even more money on RL? Likely not one of the Favourite choices.

OK we know it won't happen,but if it did it would sell out and generate a lot of media attention here, and a huge amount of media attention in Australia and New Zealand. It would dwarf anything else going on in Australia that weekend.

You say it won't happen but then give reasons why it should.

Would an NRL game sell out Wembley? It has a far lower profile than SL in the UK so would enough expat Aussies or English RL fans be able to fill a 90k stadium? A double header RLWC semi had both England and Aus playing and half the seats in the top tier weren't taken up.

The media attention thing I'm not sure about either...again SL is higher profile here and a Challenge Cup/Grand final would generate more interest in the UK than an NRL final (unless because it's foreign there would be more intrigue). The game is already big time in Aus so i doubt playing it on the other side of the world would add anything except risk. If anything it could affect the build up with everything being on the ither side of the world and then there's the time it would be played....there's what a 9 or 10 hour difference so game played in the morning to be screened at prime time in Aus?

Can those of you who are, please stop discussing Wembley as a solution. People have said it won't happen, why?

There is no way in their right mind the NRL would consider playing the GF outside of Aus/NZ, let alone the other side of the world. There would be fan outrage that would decimate the sport in the same way the Super League war did.

Having it in NZ makes far more sense though...no time issue, not too far to travel for Aussies (even playing it in Perth would arguably be more of a challenge than NZ). Plus with a NZ team being in the competition (and my favourite RL player Shaun Johnson) the NRL has a profile there. It would surely raise the sport's profile further in NZ.

Archived