Well.....

OutsiderLookingIn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor performance all round today. Workington didn't look like they could get out of their own half but we gifted them penalty after penalty and no kick pressure on Sammut. Why didn't Naylor move Grimshaw to stand off so that we had a half back pair. Owen / Foster didn't work today.

What's happened to Joy? He started the season really strongly he was a shadow today.

Out-thought,out-kicked and out-muscled(apart from a very brief spell in the second half).Couldn't believe, that for a match in which victory would have virtually assured safety,we were so flat from the outset.Combine this with several individual errors,and a referee who totally ignored their off-sides at the play the ball,we were always going to have to do it the hard way,

It was apparent that the one-man stuff was not going to be effective against a bigger,more enthusiastic pack,we did not have a Plan B.

Our half-backs were poor today.We had no one taking us around the field,as Palfrey usually does,but in general we have a big problem in the halves.Every other club in the Championship has half-backs with more flair and invention.

To be beaten by only 2 points having played so poorly,is a credit to the side's never-say-die attitude.Let us hope that it will be enough to get us over the line in the crucial home games against Whitehaven,Workington and Sheffield and Swinton away - these seem to be the best chances of picking up points in the 8s. I am confident Nobby will have them back on track in two week's time,maybe with Turner and Mendeika strengthening the outside backs and Grimmer being played in his accustomed stand-off role - he has been ineffective filling in at centre,his defensive qualities often found wanting.

We are still in a relatively good position,but similar performances to today's will unfortunately mean the season,which has produced some memorable highs,will end in tears. I hope and pray it doesn't.

Right, we were not great today but, to say the team isn't good enough, what a clown. This result actually may help us in the long run, why? Because both Cumbrian sides have to come back down to us. First half, 3 pens equalled 3 tries, discipline cost us again but the ref seemed intent on penalising us every set, Worky got away with quite a bit,but we left it too late. Sammut was nothing today it was the Worky 7 who hammered us. Didn't expect anything less than negative comments from some on this messageboard. All to play for still, get behind the lads instead of whining.Its not over yet although some merchants of doom here want is to fail. Sad.

I for one don't mean to sound negative. I too believe that this bunch of players is good enough to mix it in this division. I am also of the opinion that refs at this level are poor in general. I just desperately don't want us to end up back down again,that would be a very bitter pill to swallow. Also I think that in parts today we looked a little disjointed and lacking cohesion.All the same me and my son will still be screaming for our team.

Gareth, you're bang on, up to a point. You really have to presume at the start of every game, that the ref is clueless and just play what is in front of you.

Sadly our lads didn't LEARN from how the ref set his stall out and it was obvious from the get-go that an extra second or two holding down was going to penalised.

Having said that, a great fight back from the lads and unlucky to not get the win. Heads should be held up, that never-say-die attitude demonstrated yet again, it just didn't quite come off.

Bit less "one man" stuff and we've got a pretty tidy side, all things considered. (Well I enjoyed it, anyway. The doomsayers need to look long and hard at what exactly they want out of life).

That Jarrod's a bit of a handful though, isn't he..?

We can't knock the lads for effort but lacked leadership today. I thought Hewitts kicking game was good but Gaz struggled. We only got on top in the forwards for short periods and the penalties killed us. Also a really poor start, conceding 12 points again before we got on the board. I am sure we will stay up and with a couple of players to come in i can't wait for the 8s. The 3 point lead we have on the two bottom teams could be crucial. Come on you Yeds!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure there must be a good reason but can anyone tell me why Palfrey keeps being left out and why a man we brought here as a halfback with experience (Grimshaw ) keeps being played in the centre. We were woeful at halfback today and in my view we were crying out for someone to come in and take control and take out the opposition halfbacks. As most seem to say we play far too much one man rugby but from the coaching side does Naylor not coach any open play into the team and does anyone agree with me that he often makes strange choices when picking the team. I also think that allowing Roper to leave was a grave error he has the experience we are now lacking and would have been good to have around at this end of the season.

I do agree with you ex scrumhalf, there has been a lot of tinkering with the team, I'm not 100% convinced that Scott knows the best starting 13. As for Palfs I like the man as a player but perhaps doesn't offer enough in attack. We made a mistake imho and I said it all season, we loaded up heavily in forwards but didn't have enough cover in the backs. It's bit us that in my opinion and we have been forced to play people out of position as a result.Coming into the eights we have recruited well, not wanting to demean anyones efforts but surely, Turner will come in for Chisholm, Mendieka will come into the centre with Gill in the other centre position,Grimmer goes to 6 with Hewitt at 7. Somewhere near a proper backline at last. Lepori of course at FB if he is fit. Just my opinion. As a final word I thought Middlehurst was awesome today,MOM for me without any doubt.We have the squad now capable of winning most games, its all about how Scott utilizes them.

The penalty count was very poor.We just didn't get out of the traps.Sammut bossed it for them,without him,I think they'd struggle,he is some player.Owen looked shattered at the end.I don't know what happened today.

That's easy marra you got beat 32-30 ;) by the way has anyone seen the Wispa :taunt:

Only joking folks, I think you will have enough to say in this league, really hope the Eagles can be pinned back if possible, as for todays match just pleased we got a good start and JS had his kicking boots on( again!!! )

your lad in the scrum cap is a handful was pleased he was taken off as he does some damage.

Nice little ground you have and always good supporters, shook hands with a lot of your lads at the final hooter, and we both wished each other luck, that's the way it should be. 

Good luck in the 8s, but not against us ;)

Think it was Forber. Played for us 3 seasons ago.

yeah 7 will have been forber. Our first choice partner for sammut, callum phillips was out injured. Carl hasnt played in weeks.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

I actually thought your 7 was better than Sammut today. Fair play we lost to a side who looked fired up from the start. Think the Wispa has melted pal

Ye Carl played well today marra , but the lad who has really clicked with Jarrod wasn't even playing today ( Callum Philips) he has been playing really well and gives us a lot of options, think we have left it to late personally tho, but you never know ;)

Pity about the Wispa mind :D

Had a belter the lad did today, maybe we concentrated too much on Sammut tbh, sometimes just the thought of a "star" player is enough to create space for others. Hopefully we learn a major lesson today. Its not the end of the world this result, just disappointing after the decent run we have had. As I say, its all to play for and at least we have 3 points in the bank against the Cumbrian sides. Better than nowt going into the eights, when we learn not to give silly penalties away and just do the basics right for 80 mins we will be ok. I just hope we do that sooner rather than later!

Archived