I've been discussing the England squad of 24 with Odds On Rob based on current availability plus no selection of Adam Cutherbertson allowed (even though it could happen)
We've listed a starting 17 and 18th man, plus remaining squad and here's what we have come with:

1. Z. Hardaker - Leeds Rhinos
2. J. McGillvary - Huddersfield Giants
3. K. Watkins - Leeds Rhinos
4. J. Reed - Brisbane Broncos/J. Wardle - Huddersfield Giants (split opinions on who is first choice on left edge)
5. R. Hall - Leeds Rhinos

6. G. Widdop - St George-Illawarra Dragons (should be back for Dragons this weekend)
7. S. Tomkins - New Zealand Warriors/M Smith - Wigan Warriors
8. G. Burgess - South Sydney Rabbitohs
9. J. Roby - St Helens
10. A. Walmsley - St Helens/J. Graham - Canterbury Bulldogs (split opinions as to who is on the bench and who starts)
11. A. Cuthbertson - Leeds Rhinos (included due to form and current rules allowing, regardless of opinion on 'moral correctness')
12. E. Whitehead - Catalans Dragons
13. S. O'Loughlin - Wigan Warriors
14. A. Walmsley- St Helens/J. Graham - Canterbury Bulldogs (split opinions as to who is on the bench and who starts)
15. T. Burgess - South Sydney Rabbitohs/C. Hill - Warrington Wolves/ M. Cooper - St George-Illawarra Dragons (split opinions as to who is on the bench)
16. J. Hodgson - Canberra Raiders/D. Clark - Warrington Wolves (split opinions as to who is in the squad)
17. T. Briscoe - Leeds Rhinos/S. Tomkins - New Zealand Warriors/M. Smith - Wigan Warriors (both agree this could change depending on tactics)

18. T. Briscoe - Leeds Rhinos/S. Tomkins - New Zealand Warriors/M. Smith - Wigan Warriors (both agree this could change depending on tactics)

19. T. Burgess - South Sydney Rabbitohs/ C. Hill - Warrington Wolves
20. J. Wilkin - St Helens/J. Bateman - Wigan Warriors (split opinions on who makes squad)
21. B. Westwood - Warrington Wolves/M. Cooper - St George Illawarra Dragons (split opinions on who makes squad)
22. J. Reed - Brisbane Broncos/J. Wardle - Huddersfield Giants (split opinions on who is first choice on left edge)
23. L. Cudjoe - Huddersfield Giants/ M. Percival - St Helens (split opinions on who makes squad)

24. G. Williams - Wigan Warriors

What are your thoughts or what would you go for?

I'm not sure Sam Tomkins will be available either so the team could have a fresh new look to it.

If Widdop and Tomkins are both out then England will have to choose someone like George Williams.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

I'm not sure Sam Tomkins will be available either so the team could have a fresh new look to it.

If Widdop and Tomkins are both out then England will have to choose someone like George Williams.

Maybe a backward step, but are we playing for the future or to win this series, if it is the future put Williams in, if it is to win the series why overlook Danny McGuire, he may not have the pace that he once had but his distribution is better than anyone else in the league (possible exception Carney at Catalan, but he doesn't count) at present, next to McGuire is Luke Gale and Kevin Brown- now there's another by thought or two.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Great to see so many great attacking options on the wings for England these days. It has to be really Ryan hall and either joe burgess or jermaine mcgillvary for me and I really can't split the two, mcgillvary is making it really hard not to pick him of late on current form. As for the centres it has to be Watkins and reed especially with jack reed's defensive qualities and try assists for the broncos this season.

Is Matty Smith really the best we can come up with as our goto organiser, his game, for mine, does not have that polished edge to guide the team around and his kicking game is very hit and miss, I know it won't happen but it would be great if McNamara and Brought could kiss and make up.

On another point why demote Wardle, hasn't he recently proved his versatility in both the backs and forwards, seems a good choice for a bench spot for me.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Would certainly test the future/current priorities as would pressure McNamara to consider McGuire for the latter and Williams for the former.

Maybe a backward step, but are we playing for the future or to win this series, if it is the future put Williams in, if it is to win the series why overlook Danny McGuire, he may not have the pace that he once had but his distribution is better than anyone else in the league (possible exception Carney at Catalan, but he doesn't count) at present, next to McGuire is Luke Gale and Kevin Brown- now there's another by thought or two.

We did consider those two but just couldn't find a spot for them ahead of those that are in - however if Tomkins is not available and McNamara considers McGuire a backward step one of them could find a way in

Great to see so many great attacking options on the wings for England these days. It has to be really Ryan hall and either joe burgess or jermaine mcgillvary for me and I really can't split the two, mcgillvary is making it really hard not to pick him of late on current form. As for the centres it has to be Watkins and reed especially with jack reed's defensive qualities and try assists for the broncos this season.

Yes we felt Joe suffered from a poor start to the season when coping with added pressure of having signed for NRL so on that basis we went with McGillvary and Briscoe who are more robust the former and more experienced the latter

Is Matty Smith really the best we can come up with as our goto organiser, his game, for mine, does not have that polished edge to guide the team around and his kicking game is very hit and miss, I know it won't happen but it would be great if McNamara and Brought could kiss and make up.

On another point why demote Wardle, hasn't he recently proved his versatility in both the backs and forwards, seems a good choice for a bench spot for me.

We thought Matty Smith played well in last years 4N and that he strikes the ball well and appears to have time when he plays. Also factored in that he has probably played with Tomkins before, and has played with Williams all season should he be selected so should give the side some balance and familiarity

If Australia dare select a player who has previously played for another nation the forums go into meltdown yet it seems some people don't have a problem if England were to do the same.

I think there's a slight difference to those that have a grand parent who is from a different country in the British Isles to someone whose parents both come from an island but moved to Australia.

However without going into individual cases which would change the thread topic - it's always a sensitive subject so apologies if some of these are seen as controversial

Yes we felt Joe suffered from a poor start to the season when coping with added pressure of having signed for NRL so on that basis we went with McGillvary and Briscoe who are more robust the former and more experienced the latter

In a sign of England's clear strength in depth I'd be happy with Ryan hall and either 1 of burgess/mcgillvary/briscoe. There's also Tom lineham(super league top try scorer) and Dom manfredi for the future not to mention the likes of mark Percival, Toby king and Oliver gildart all future test centres IMHO.

Happy with most of the starting team, though I would have one of Bateman/Liam Farrell in place of Cooper. Tom Burgess isn't as good as Hill and makes a lot of errors, and Hodgson has been tearing it up in the NRL this year. Having a winger or halfback on the bench is a waste, and we need someone who could play backrow on the bench, so I'd go with the other one of Bateman/Farrell.

I agree with Burgess/Hill opinion I am in Hill camp, and also I am in Hodgson camp.

However we couldn't find a place for Bateman or Farrell and feel that Briscoe or Williams add excitement and versatility off the bench while the forwards are fit enough to cope with two interchanges

I think there's a slight difference to those that have a grand parent who is from a different country in the British Isles to someone whose parents both come from an island but moved to Australia.

However without going into individual cases which would change the thread topic - it's always a sensitive subject so apologies if some of these are seen as controversial

Aquila Uate played for Fiji and was then selected for Australia. The forums went ballistic yet it seems any English player who goes down the  heritage route is simply fair game for England if he proves to be a decent player at international level. Hypocrisy, pure and simple.

rldfsignature.jpg

Aquila Uate played for Fiji and was then selected for Australia. The forums went ballistic yet it seems any English player who goes down the heritage route is simply fair game for England if he proves to be a decent player at international level. Hypocrisy, pure and simple.

Aquila Uate:

Born 6 October 1987 (age 27)

Votua, Nadroga-Navosa, Fiji

Joe Wardle:

Born 22 September 1991 (age 23)

Halifax, West Yorkshire, England

There's a clear difference here

However Rangi Chase or Maurie Fa'asavalu would be a better comparison - and the selection of these players for England was widely criticised

Aquila Uate played for Fiji and was then selected for Australia. The forums went ballistic yet it seems any English player who goes down the  heritage route is simply fair game for England if he proves to be a decent player at international level. Hypocrisy, pure and simple.

Hence, have the 4Nations concept, but bring back GB for the test series.

I agree with Burgess/Hill opinion I am in Hill camp, and also I am in Hodgson camp.

However we couldn't find a place for Bateman or Farrell and feel that Briscoe or Williams add excitement and versatility off the bench while the forwards are fit enough to cope with two interchanges

I completely overlooked Bateman, had Wane played him in the second row all season I am pretty sure that he would have been taking one of those shirts.

If I was in the trenches he would be the first I would call on to have at the side of me, on the field he carries an aura which says " don't mess with me, or else" in defence he is an enforcer, he's young and can easily do 80 mins of energetic rugby.

Never thought Farrell has taken his SL performances to the bigger stage, for me it is a step further than his capabilities, he has had some OK games but that is about it.

Not sure Tomkins even deserves a place in the squad on performances this year, let alone him being considered as 1st choice full back (or half back). Hardaker is miles ahead of him this year.

Hall & Burgess look like they're 1st choice but we have strength in depth with Makinson, Briscoe & McGilvray all in with a good shout of a place as well.

Centres looks like Watkins & Reid but who their back-up's are will be interesting. Percival is having a pretty good year and Wardle wouldn't look out of place either. 

Without Widdop I can't really see any stand out's for the halves so good job Johnson will be missing for the Kiwi's.

Prop has to be our biggest strength. Graham is pretty much nailed on for 1 spot so take your pick from Walmsley, Hill and the Burgess brothers for the other spots. Can't for the life of me see what Cooper has to offer in comparison to the other 5 props, seems a bit of a wasted spot to have him in the squad at all.

Back row you'd think O'Loughlin already has his place if he's fit, Whitehead should get a place as well as he's had another fine year. I'd be disappointed if McBanan reverted back to last years tried & failed 2nd row of Tomkins & Farrell. Tomkins has has a pretty average year and Farrel is just way too small and struggles to dominate tackles in SL let alone at international level.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I completely overlooked Bateman, had Wane played him in the second row all season I am pretty sure that he would have been taking one of those shirts.

If I was in the trenches he would be the first I would call on to have at the side of me, on the field he carries an aura which says " don't mess with me, or else" in defence he is an enforcer, he's young and can easily do 80 mins of energetic rugby.

Never thought Farrell has taken his SL performances to the bigger stage, for me it is a step further than his capabilities, he has had some OK games but that is about it.

Me too regarding Bateman and is a fair shout - however I do feel Wilkin deserves to reclaim his place and also adds experienced cover in the halves should we be desperate. Therefore I think it would have to be Westwood to make way should Bateman get the nod and have amended the squad accordingly, or Sneyd if McNamara went light on halves cover - that's if Sneyd gets recognised at all which is unlikely - but he got the nod from us ahead of Gale and Brown. Surprised it's not been mentioned so far actually as feels like a wildcard.

Totally agree on Farrell has been less effective this year.

Not sure Tomkins even deserves a place in the squad on performances this year, let alone him being considered as 1st choice full back (or half back). Hardaker is miles ahead of him this year.

Hall & Burgess look like they're 1st choice but we have strength in depth with Makinson, Briscoe & McGilvray all in with a good shout of a place as well.

Centres looks like Watkins & Reid but who their back-up's are will be interesting. Percival is having a pretty good year and Wardle wouldn't look out of place either.

Without Widdop I can't really see any stand out's for the halves so good job Johnson will be missing for the Kiwi's.

Prop has to be our biggest strength. Graham is pretty much nailed on for 1 spot so take your pick from Walmsley, Hill and the Burgess brothers for the other spots. Can't for the life of me see what Cooper has to offer in comparison to the other 5 props, seems a bit of a wasted spot to have him in the squad at all.

Back row you'd think O'Loughlin already has his place if he's fit, Whitehead should get a place as well as he's had another fine year. I'd be disappointed if McBanan reverted back to last years tried & failed 2nd row of Tomkins & Farrell. Tomkins has has a pretty average year and Farrel is just way too small and struggles to dominate tackles in SL let alone at international level.

Agree on Tomkins this year at FB and should Widdop been fit it would have been tough to find a spot in the 17 for him as Hardaker was already our no.1.

Have to disagree on Cooper he's been super for St George his year and is a decent ball player too so would be useful in the 2nd row. From what you've examined too it doesn't sound like you have any replacements you are confident with as we already have Whitehead starting.

Percival hasn't looked strong enough in defence for us but is an attacking threat for sure. However we feel no more so than Wardle & Cudjoe - to get in the squad, and as you say we're happy with Watkins with either Wardle or Reed (I'm in the Reed camp) starting

Archived