ex and current dewsbury players

ramsfandan

my thoughts exactly wish we could have kept thackeray last year we have been lacking in that area all season imo kain does good things followed by crazy wild passes too inconsistent 

Re Kainy, think that's how players tend to decline as age and wear and tear take their toll, they don't generally become useless overnight, they just become more inconsistent. Similar comments probably apply to Sykes, still capable of some really good play but clearly not the player of a few seasons ago.

Thackeray has been ok for us this year, he's had some very good games but like most half backs at Championship level he has been a bit inconsistent. I think most Fev fans would probably still have him over Gaz Moore who again is a reasonable Championship-level scrum half but again has his shortcomings and probably wasn't as "likeable" to the fans as Thacks. I'm happy enough with Thackeray going forward as our scrum half because he's probably as good as you're going to get at this level, his defence can be a bit iffy occasionally but again that's par for the division and he does at least worry defences when he runs with the ball.

The one thing he hasn't done much of this season is intercepting passes, he did this on more than one occasion against us for Dews but apart from in our first pre-season game at Cas I can't remember many (and ironically he threw one to our last scrum half at  Blackpool). That might just mean Sharp has been hammering into him about not jumping out of the line though, which was something Moore is also prone to doing.

Re Kainy, think that's how players tend to decline as age and wear and tear take their toll, they don't generally become useless overnight, they just become more inconsistent. Similar comments probably apply to Sykes, still capable of some really good play but clearly not the player of a few seasons ago.

Thackeray has been ok for us this year, he's had some very good games but like most half backs at Championship level he has been a bit inconsistent. I think most Fev fans would probably still have him over Gaz Moore who again is a reasonable Championship-level scrum half but again has his shortcomings and probably wasn't as "likeable" to the fans as Thacks. I'm happy enough with Thackeray going forward as our scrum half because he's probably as good as you're going to get at this level, his defence can be a bit iffy occasionally but again that's par for the division and he does at least worry defences when he runs with the ball.

The one thing he hasn't done much of this season is intercepting passes, he did this on more than one occasion against us for Dews but apart from in our first pre-season game at Cas I can't remember many (and ironically he threw one to our last scrum half at  Blackpool). That might just mean Sharp has been hammering into him about not jumping out of the line though, which was something Moore is also prone to doing.

kain been doing well lately you mention interceptions he did 2 against fax last week. yes agree with sykes still quality at times but inconsistent. thackeray best half back we had at dewsbury for years tbh

kain been doing well lately you mention interceptions he did 2 against fax last week. yes agree with sykes still quality at times but inconsistent. thackeray best half back we had at dewsbury for years tbh

Yes Kainy always has thrown the occasional interception, then again who doesn't, I remember when we played Sheffield the week before our famous win over Cas we managed to throw five in one game that led to tries. Had the habit of dropping kick offs too. Was still arguably the best stand off in the division for a year or two when at his peak.

Yes Kainy always has thrown the occasional interception, then again who doesn't, I remember when we played Sheffield the week before our famous win over Cas we managed to throw five in one game that led to tries. Had the habit of dropping kick offs too. Was still arguably the best stand off in the division for a year or two when at his peak.

i mean he intercepted them not threw them

how as thackeray done for you this season? rumours are you're signing trout and morton for next season. you can have trout but would like to keep morton.

Morton is a Ram for next season. Trout says that he is joining Fev - let's see!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Morton is a Ram for next season. Trout says that he is joining Fev - let's see!

Definately ,Dale is not coming to Fev .

In my honest opinion, we have picked up nothing sparkling from the Rams, over the past seasons.

The best being Bostock, who came to notice a few seasons ago when we played at the Rams. He trampled us into the ground that day and was unstoppable. If I remember correctly he joined us shortly after, although he has never appeared to repeat that performance and has suffered injury upon injury.

No other ex rams player brings to mind outstanding consistent displays.

In my honest opinion, we have picked up nothing sparkling from the Rams, over the past seasons.

The best being Bostock, who came to notice a few seasons ago when we played at the Rams. He trampled us into the ground that day and was unstoppable. If I remember correctly he joined us shortly after, although he has never appeared to repeat that performance and has suffered injury upon injury.

Bostock was injury prone when he was at rams but when fit one of the strongest running forwards in the championship. What about Liam Finn I think you've a lot to thank him for during your 3yrs of winning trophy's, Anthony England & James Lockwood weren't bad either, & not forgetting Brynn Powell who could score a try out of nothing.

Bostock was injury prone when he was at rams but when fit one of the strongest running forwards in the championship. What about Liam Finn I think you've a lot to thank him for during your 3yrs of winning trophy's, Anthony England & James Lockwood weren't bad either, & not forgetting Brynn Powell who could score a try out of nothing.

I will give you Locky and Finny. the remainder, nah

I

I will give you Locky and Finny. the remainder, nah

I'd have Thacks back in a heartbeat ....... you are just not using his strengths effectively!!  I think he played his best rugby for the rams.... and if you don't appreciate him send him back to those that do! 

I

I'd have Thacks back in a heartbeat ....... you are just not using his strengths effectively!!  I think he played his best rugby for the rams.... and if you don't appreciate him send him back to those that do! 

Thacks has been fine for us this season. Some quiet games, but what scrum half at this level doesn't? He was very good in the crucial game against Bradford a few weeks ago.

I

Leave Thacks where he is if you don't mind

Bostock was a different sort of player back then and when we first signed him he played at centre as I recall. I'd have to disagree in that he has played countless games for us where he's been unstoppable. His offloads / strength in the tackle has improved as he's got older too. To my mind his potential for playing at a higher level was /is way above the likes of England /Crossley (there's another ex Dews) and we're lucky to have had him over the last few years. We're not the same team without him and I think we'll struggle to achieve that 6th place in his absence.

We're not the same team without him and I think we'll struggle to achieve that 6th place in his absence.

Depends who we sign to replace him rob...

Time goes on.... players leave players are replaced....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Bostock was a different sort of player back then and when we first signed him he played at centre as I recall. I'd have to disagree in that he has played countless games for us where he's been unstoppable. His offloads / strength in the tackle has improved as he's got older too. To my mind his potential for playing at a higher level was /is way above the likes of England /Crossley (there's another ex Dews) and we're lucky to have had him over the last few years. We're not the same team without him and I think we'll struggle to achieve that 6th place in his absence.

He would have been a SL centre or second row if he had any pace, it used to be comical at times when he broke through from half way then turn inside to find someone else to beat, but prop has been his best position. What baffles me though is none of the coaches have thought about moving him out wide when attacking near the line, because that is where he is unstoppable. Since moving to prop, however, he has picked up a bad injury every year, mainly unrelated though. Definitely a player to keep but you do need adequate cover for him.

Dewsbury might have a Pott to break next season! Just hope Fev have one to ###### in next season :ph34r:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Dewsbury might have a Pott to break next season! Just hope Fev have one to ###### in next season :ph34r:

Fev have survived adversity throughout its history Piggy. If you are old enough you should know that anyway.And in spite of any of that have always punched above its weight. Don't worry about our club too much.

Archived