Canadian Military and Rugby League

In case anyone has missed it in the last few weeks the Canadian Military seem to have fallen in love with Rugby League.

So much so I they are going to attend a few games back in Toronto when they return from the current tour of duty.

They defeated Poland 60-0 in their first game, with a decent crowd and local TV coverage in Recz on the 30th July.

There next game is against the Czech Republic on the 20th August.

Potentially they could play Hungary or Serbia as well.

The Warrant Officer Philippe Dessureault contacted the Polska XIII through facebook about opportunities for playing Rugby League.

They invited them to training sessions and then watch the 9s which I think was the Lodz 9s.

This lead to playing a full 13 a side international.  

I would say this was a positive sign for the future of the Toronto Wolfpack that there is obviously interest for the game over there.

13669790_1837865743114549_27777103673586

This is more great news and thanks cos I had missed this.

It always baffled me why armed services haven't taken up RL as in terms of its parts and whole it is probably the easiest way to achieve what military goals and teamwork are all about.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

This is more great news and thanks cos I had missed this.

It always baffled me why armed services haven't taken up RL as in terms of its parts and whole it is probably the easiest way to achieve what military goals and teamwork are all about.

They want to be in the armed forces world cup but it has been restricted to 4 teams.  Which is a shame as at least 6 nations want to take part.

The four I guess are GB, NZ, PNG and Aus, who is the sixth?

Serbia, although I believe they're one of the four, rather than the six

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Its GB, NZ, Aus and Serbia.

With PNG and Canada with applications pending in case one drops out.

You may have a better memory of this than I, but was it Russia or Jamaica Armed Forces that dropped out in 2013?

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Its GB, NZ, Aus and Serbia.

With PNG and Canada with applications pending in case one drops out.

6 team competition

2 groups of 3

Group A - Aus, GB, Canada.

Group B - NZ, Serbia, PNG

Semi finals are A1 v B2, B1 v A2

Then a final. You can even have a 3/4 playoff and a 5/6 playoff.

That gives 3 or 4 games each.

Simple.

6 team competition

2 groups of 3

Group A - Aus, GB, Canada.

Group B - NZ, Serbia, PNG

Semi finals are A1 v B2, B1 v A2

Then a final. You can even have a 3/4 playoff and a 5/6 playoff.

That gives 3 or 4 games each.

Simple.

I assume a lot of these forces have their own Armed Forces TV Networks  so that would increase exposure of the game as well.

Very pleased for the Canadian military but where does that leave Poland ? Thrashed 60-0 at home by the new kids on the block.

I thought 2015 had been a good year for the Polish domestic set up. Did they get the government recognition they wanted ? 

Very pleased for the Canadian military but where does that leave Poland ? Thrashed 60-0 at home by the new kids on the block.

I thought 2015 had been a good year for the Polish domestic set up. Did they get the government recognition they wanted ?

I think people underestimate how good the Canadian's are at Rugby League.

Remember they destroyed England at the Commonwealth 9s in Glasgow none of those lads had played League going into it.

The world cup qualifying team was almost all domestic players that ran two heritage squads close. In USA and Jamaica.

Poland would probably be among the lowest standard of any RL nation, they started only a couple of years ago as bunch of young guys who decided to play the sport after one of them saw it online. They've shown great enthusiasm and determination to start a league and get as far as they have but it's still a long way for them to be able to compete with other nations, especially a bunch of military guys who would naturally be stronger and fitter.

The military teams have, if nothing else, discipline and stamina, which are difficult to come by in any amateur team

I'd imagine outside of being extremely fit and disciplined individuals who are use to working in a team, many of the players in the Canadian Military side would have also played either Rugby Union or Canadian Football growing up.

Whilst different to Rugby League, there are still plenty of catching, tackling and passing skills which would be second nature to them, something unfortunately the Polish team wouldn't have the benefit of.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I think people underestimate how good the Canadian's are at Rugby League.

Remember they destroyed England at the Commonwealth 9s in Glasgow none of those lads had played League going into it.

The world cup qualifying team was almost all domestic players that ran two heritage squads close. In USA and Jamaica.

The assessment that RL is the most Canadian sport not played in Canada seems to have some legs.( even if it was played there really}

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

There will be a litmus test of sorts with the next game for Canada on the 20th against the NW English Lionhearts.  This is the first season where Eric Perez hasn’t been officially involved in promotion of the national side so we will see what effect, if any, it has on international support in Toronto.

That being said, RL has a small but steadily growing core of fans which will only increase further with the Wolfpack starting out next year.  I would expect a slight drop this year, but a boost in the international crowds from 2017 onward.

It will remain to be seen if the introduction of the Wolfpack will raise the profile of Rugby League enough to attract more players, officials, fans and most importantly sponsors to the game and the CRL.  Currently there are insufficient numbers of people involved to qualify for Provincial or Federal funding, so we are dependent on sponsors or donations only.

Getting back to the Forces front there is continued interest and collaboration from RAF Rugby League, and expressions of interest from Army Rugby League as well as individual units like the Royal Engineers and the REME to either tour or play games when on ex over here.  The Canadian Forces games were a bit unexpected to be honest, but given their success there is much potential there; as Commonwealth NATO partners, CF and UK forces train together reasonably frequently, effectively, and have a great deal of positive rivalry.  This is one area which should be exploited to the fullest as there is little, if any, promotion over here of Canadian Forces Rugby Union and would be a chance to take the lead for a change.  

There will be a litmus test of sorts with the next game for Canada on the 20th against the NW English Lionhearts.  This is the first season where Eric Perez hasn’t been officially involved in promotion of the national side so we will see what effect, if any, it has on international support in Toronto.

That being said, RL has a small but steadily growing core of fans which will only increase further with the Wolfpack starting out next year.  I would expect a slight drop this year, but a boost in the international crowds from 2017 onward.

It will remain to be seen if the introduction of the Wolfpack will raise the profile of Rugby League enough to attract more players, officials, fans and most importantly sponsors to the game and the CRL.  Currently there are insufficient numbers of people involved to qualify for Provincial or Federal funding, so we are dependent on sponsors or donations only.

Getting back to the Forces front there is continued interest and collaboration from RAF Rugby League, and expressions of interest from Army Rugby League as well as individual units like the Royal Engineers and the REME to either tour or play games when on ex over here.  The Canadian Forces games were a bit unexpected to be honest, but given their success there is much potential there; as Commonwealth NATO partners, CF and UK forces train together reasonably frequently, effectively, and have a great deal of positive rivalry.  This is one area which should be exploited to the fullest as there is little, if any, promotion over here of Canadian Forces Rugby Union and would be a chance to take the lead for a change.

Thanks for the update

I'd imagine outside of being extremely fit and disciplined individuals who are use to working in a team, many of the players in the Canadian Military side would have also played either Rugby Union or Canadian Football growing up.

Whilst different to Rugby League, there are still plenty of catching, tackling and passing skills which would be second nature to them, something unfortunately the Polish team wouldn't have the benefit of.

If you've ever seen the US Army, Navy or Air Force playing American football, their style is far, far closer to League than it is to anything you'd see in the NFL. Hardly any forward passing, their tactics revolve around tackle-breaking, running lines and lateral passes. There are times when it literally looks like RL with pads on. I'd imagine the Canadians would be similar as this style of play is meant to take advantage of superior fitness levels.

Archived