Rugby League World Magazine

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - MAY 2016 (ISSUE 421) ONLINE NOW / IN SHOPS FRIDAY 22 APRIL

rlw_may2016_600.jpg

What's inside this month's issue...

Warrington's rising young star Ben Currie graces our cover this month and there's an 8-page feature with exclusive photographs inside.

We also catch up with another youngster on the rise, Wakefield's 20-year old wing sensation Tom Johnstone.

Ryan Brierley pens an open letter to Leigh fans, while Alex Walmsley writes about the toll the Easter programme takes on players and Eorl Crabtree offers his thoughts on the imminent departure of Josh Charnley and Dan Sarginson from Super League.

London Broncos coach Andrew Henderson talks about the renaissance taking place at the capital club, and we find out how Kevin Sinfield is getting on since he hung up his RL boots.

Michael Shenton chats to Jonny Lomax about his return to action after a long lay off, and Lizzie Jones opens up about the past 12 months since losing husband Danny and how his memory is helping to save lives.

All this and much more great Rugby League reading inside! Click here for more information

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this, cover to cover! Never again! :(

Thanks for that. Very motivating for those who word hard to produce it, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, constructive feedback is welcomed, if anyone has any.

Thanks for that. Very motivating for those who word hard to produce it, I'm sure.

Good one, John! :biggrin:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Can I give constructive feedback please? I still buy it but preferred Forty 20 as I like the fanzine style. I Prefer When Saturday Comes to the football magazines also.

I think 8 page spreads and photos of players are maybe too much. I prefer to read analysis and opinion.

I did like Alex Walmsley's article as he used to play at Batley and he is very informative.

I would like to see features on rugby league grounds, also more articles from the past. Also a betting section woukd be interesting to me.

I hope this helps.

Surely someone is going to come to the defence of RLW?

Okay I will: It's very well produced and presented, the articles are varied and well written and it does well to highlight things from the length and breadth of the game! It was informative and interesting. :biggrin:

I did send some very positive feedback to the editor (Joe Whitley) by PM. He didn't respond. In the past, I've always sent my comments to JD and he has always responded kindly and forwarded my comments to the editor. (I keep forgetting that John is not the editor of RLW, but this time, I sent them straight to the editor.)

I really did enjoy this issue, particularly Jonathan Liew and Michael Shenton's pieces, but also the articles on Lizzie Jones and Keith Mason. RLW is much improved of late, with a broader approach to its content. I hope the sales reflect the hard work. Thank you.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I really did enjoy this issue, particularly Jonathan Liew and Michael Shenton's pieces, but also the articles on Lizzie Jones and Keith Mason. RLW is much improved of late, with a broader approach to its content. I hope the sales reflect the hard work. Thank you.

tony I think that's spot on as an assessment!

I've not bought this month's magazine (I tend to buy about 1 out of 2 issues), so these are more general thoughts:

- I've not heard anything about the confederations cup that David Collier talked about a year ago.  Maybe you can't get another interview, but would be good to know if this is still likely or if there are obstacles in the way

- I'd like to see more features with developing countries and from different perspectives, e.g. a club owner in the USA, player in Serbia, etc

- 4-4-2 used to have a regular feature where a fan stated what they would do if they became owner of their club, which was generally quite amusing and interesting.  Given we all know how to run rugby league better you could consider this for the RFL/RLIF, of course 4-4-2 cut that feature so maybe it was just me that liked it

I've not bought this month's magazine (I tend to buy about 1 out of 2 issues), so these are more general thoughts:

- I've not heard anything about the confederations cup that David Collier talked about a year ago.  Maybe you can't get another interview, but would be good to know if this is still likely or if there are obstacles in the way

- I'd like to see more features with developing countries and from different perspectives, e.g. a club owner in the USA, player in Serbia, etc

- 4-4-2 used to have a regular feature where a fan stated what they would do if they became owner of their club, which was generally quite amusing and interesting.  Given we all know how to run rugby league better you could consider this for the RFL/RLIF, of course 4-4-2 cut that feature so maybe it was just me that liked it

Cowardy, love the avatar name by the way,

Involving the fans in the magazine a bit more would be a good move and the feature you refer to would be a good one! And it probably failed in 4-4-2 because they put it at the back as an after thought as that seems to be where all sports magazines see the role of the fans!

Can I give constructive feedback please? I still buy it but preferred Forty 20 as I like the fanzine style. I Prefer When Saturday Comes to the football magazines also.

I think 8 page spreads and photos of players are maybe too much. I prefer to read analysis and opinion.

I did like Alex Walmsley's article as he used to play at Batley and he is very informative.

I would like to see features on rugby league grounds, also more articles from the past. Also a betting section woukd be interesting to me.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this, Niels. We appreciate the feedback and will take it on board.

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone

I did send some very positive feedback to the editor (Joe Whitley) by PM. He didn't respond. In the past, I've always sent my comments to JD and he has always responded kindly and forwarded my comments to the editor. (I keep forgetting that John is not the editor of RLW, but this time, I sent them straight to the editor.)

Thank you, Tony. The editor wasn't aware of this message but we've let him know now so please expect a reply soon. We appreciate the comments massively.

Thanks for the feedback, Cowardly. You make some very good points and we will certainly keep them in mind.

The production and presentation is the best it has ever been.

However from a personal point of view I feel the content is not as good as a few years back.There are too many articles about SL players -and at the end of the day the majority are saying the same thing.

I would like to see more articles from journalists disecting the issues in the game.

The history of the game,amateur and international news is not as prevalent as it used to be.

I only read it the odd time, but think i may subscribe as missing getting to read an actual mag.

One slight bugbear is that the cover design actually hides the name of the magazine, which is an extremely bizarre thing to do. I actually thought maybe the name had changed.

One slight bugbear is that the cover design actually hides the name of the magazine, which is an extremely bizarre thing to do. I actually thought maybe the name had changed.

I noticed that but just thought anyone who didn't know it wouldn't be looking for it anyway! Judging by the range of your posts Dave and your missing the mag thing I'm not surprised you went for a subscription. :read:

I noticed that but just thought anyone who didn't know it wouldn't be looking for it anyway! Judging by the range of your posts Dave and your missing the mag thing I'm not surprised you went for a subscription. :read:

i used to get a cheeky free read when i visited my parents as its not something i can pick up easily here in Edinburgh but now ive decided i like the idea of getting it delivered each month yhrough my letterbox all traditional loke!

i used to get a cheeky free read when i visited my parents as its not something i can pick up easily here in Edinburgh but now ive decided i like the idea of getting it delivered each month yhrough my letterbox all traditional loke!

Edinburgh was a surprise Dave, it can hard keeping the flame alight anywhere away from the M62 so I think you made a real good move there and it'll stop you stealing a read like the story of "Sanji and the Baker" so it can't be anything but good news all round. Which bit did you like best of this last one?

Also one question did you read all the posts on this thread?

Edinburgh was a surprise Dave, it can hard keeping the flame alight anywhere away from the M62 so I think you made a real good move there and it'll stop you stealing a read like the story of "Sanji and the Baker" so it can't be anything but good news all round. Which bit did you like best of this last one?

Also one question did you read all the posts on this thread?

havent read it for a few months as not been down to hometown Warrington for a couple of months but yeah the comments here encouraged me to give it a proper go!

I gave some last year but was put on 'ignore' on twitter for my sins

havent read it for a few months as not been down to hometown Warrington for a couple of months but yeah the comments here encouraged me to give it a proper go!

Yeah I hope it does the same for a few others too!

Archived