Thornton Full Of Praise For His Side

Dons News

Doncaster Rugby League head coach Gary Thornton was thrilled with his sides victory at London Skolars. 

The Dons secured a place in the League 1 Super 8’s with a 30-10 victory at the New River Stadium. 

The win also keeps Doncaster on track for a top four finish and Thornton was full of praise for his team.

“I’m absolutely delighted, it was a really tough, physical game,” said Thornton.

“London Skolars threw everything at us and put up some really physical defence, but we matched it.

“I’m really, really pleased with the performance, apart from a few errors it was very professional throughout, we managed the game really well.

“In the first half particularly I thought we were very good in defence.

“They were camped on our line for periods and I thought our goal-line defence was really, really good across the team. 

“We could have been a bit more clinical and we should have been ahead more at half time.

“It was difficult in the second half, particularly with the break for lightning, it was difficult to get our minds set, but thankfully we came through in the end.

“We knew London were big and physical and we had seen what they did to Barrow, they bashed them who are a big side themselves.

“We had a look at that and we talked about matching that physicality, I thought Matt Nicholson, George Milton and Mark Castle were outstanding and really took the game to London in the middle of the field where their big strong units were.

“It is not an easy place to come to, Keighley and Barrow have been beat at London, but we were really good today.

“We came to do a job and we did it really well.”

Thornton was also signalled out Sam Doherty’s impact, who scored a hat-trick in the win.

He said: “There is going to be some sleepless nights between now and next week.

“I thought Sam was great today, I left him out last week and what a way to react, it was fantastic.

“What we have in this squad is people keen to play and wanting to take their opportunities.

“Sam has come in and done a great job and it is going to be really difficult to pick a team next week and the week after.”

View the full article

Archived