French Rugby League Elections - July 2nd

So the FFR XIII elections are set for July 2nd and it is expected that Marc Palanques will be the new president. 

Has there been any further news or movement in the lead up to the elections?

What impact will the potential change of leadership have on the national team, Toulouse, Catalan, Aude Cathars and what about the proposed regional competition. Not forgetting the future of the Elite competition. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks like 11 sides lined-up for 2016-17 with both La Reole and St Gaudens on board. The Federation AGM is next Saturday in Montpellier with the existing management team pressing ahead as normal. But 3 weeks later there are the new elections which changes everything I presume. Elite 1 and international set-ups could change overnight. Clubs have I understand around 320 votes between them to chose between Zalduendo and Palanque. The latter has announced that his team of 20+ helpers to be divulged on 21 June - the latest to get on board - emblematic Catalan Jacques Jorda. With the provincial comp - the talk is of four regions playing Jan-Feb with Elite 1 players not involved taking part in a 9s tournament. Interesting times here for sure.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

So the FFR XIII elections are set for July 2nd and it is expected that Marc Palanques will be the new president.

Has there been any further news or movement in the lead up to the elections?

What impact will the potential change of leadership have on the national team, Toulouse, Catalan, Aude Cathars and what about the proposed regional competition. Not forgetting the future of the Elite competition.

So that's the second big election in the world on July 2 this year!

Last time it was:

Roussillon-Catalans

Aude

Vaucluse-Avignon

Garonne-Tarn-Toulouse

These four entities cover all the Elite 1 clubs.

Of course have to factor in that the Cathares have played the Dragons 2015/16.

Maybe they will want to challenge Toulouse Olympique in 2017 especially if the latter win a place in the Championship. Lots of possibilities. I'd like them to follow the Origin concept which could even out the competition. Other issue would be overseas players involvement which at the moment stacks up in Cathares favour.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Last time it was:

Roussillon-Catalans

Aude

Vaucluse-Avignon

Garonne-Tarn-Toulouse

These four entities cover all the Elite 1 clubs.

Of course have to factor in that the Cathares have played the Dragons 2015/16.

Maybe they will want to challenge Toulouse Olympique in 2017 especially if the latter win a place in the Championship. Lots of possibilities. I'd like them to follow the Origin concept which could even out the competition. Other issue would be overseas players involvement which at the moment stacks up in Cathares favour.

Not sure that a four way regional comp is the way forward.

FFRXIII has confirmed the new entries to Elite 2, seeing the number of teams across the two tiers increase to 20.

Being honest looking at the size of the towns some of these teams I don't know how they can sustain a semi pro side.

Elite 1:

Albi - 50K

Carcassonne - 50K

Lezignan - 10K

Palau-del-Vidre - 2K

Avignon - 90K

Perpignan - 120K

Toulouse - 460K

Villeneuve-sur-Lot - 25K

Limoux - 10K

La Réole - 4K

Saint-Gaudens - 12K

Elite 2:

Ferrals-les-Corbières - 1K

Entraigues-sur-la-Sorgue - 8K

Lyon-Villeurbanne - 2million

Montpellier - 600K

Baho - 4K

Carpentras - 30K

Lescure-d'Albigeois - 4K

Villefranche-sur-Mer - 6K

Villegailhenc - 4K

I can see why the new group is desperate to try and get some bigger towns/cities playing in the Elite. With half the league representing cities of 10K or less it makes it very hard to grow that type of competition

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

FFRXIII has confirmed the new entries to Elite 2, seeing the number of teams across the two tiers increase to 20.

Being honest looking at the size of the towns some of these teams I don't know how they can sustain a semi pro side.

Elite 1:

Albi - 50K

Carcassonne - 50K

Lezignan - 10K

Palau-del-Vidre - 2K

Avignon - 90K

Perpignan - 120K

Toulouse - 460K

Villeneuve-sur-Lot - 25K

Limoux - 10K

La Réole - 4K

Saint-Gaudens - 12K

Elite 2:

Ferrals-les-Corbières - 1K

Entraigues-sur-la-Sorgue - 8K

Lyon-Villeurbanne - 2million

Montpellier - 600K

Baho - 4K

Carpentras - 30K

Lescure-d'Albigeois - 4K

Villefranche-sur-Mer - 6K

Villegailhenc - 4K

I can see why the new group is desperate to try and get some bigger towns/cities playing in the Elite. With half the league representing cities of 10K or less it makes it very hard to grow that type of competition

Villegailhenc (Carassonne reserves) are now undecided about carrying on next season at Elite 2 level. They moved up last year after losing the N1 Championship final to Ferrals - the latter refused the promotion then but since retaining the title this time round feel better prepared and will go in Elite 2 along with the other N1 finalists Entraigues.

Villegailhence (pop 1357) has a budget I understand of €40,000 which includes grants from their two villages Villegailhenc council donate €2,000 and Aragon (pop 464) €1,000. They have a few teenagers who team up with another village to form an U15s team playing friendlies but thats about it. I cannot understand why they were put in Elite 2 to start with even if a few players said they needed the challenge.

The Catalan village of Baho (pop 3221) however has a budget of maybe €200,000 and run U20s, U16s,U14s and a rugby school below. Fully structured set-up and have held their own in Elite 2.

The Federation have already announced this past weekend the Elite 1/2 fixtures for the new season starting in September but this could yet still change again after the Federation elections in three weeks time. At least this time the casting of votes in Toulouse on Saturday 2nd July will be concluded by lunch-time hopefully permitting those attending the opportunity of being present in Perpignan later for the Dragons big gala event against Wigan.

Carcassonne made lot's of promises to villghailanc but as the presidency at carcassonne changes the promises weren't upheld, theirs talk of Villeneuve-Minervois being villghailanc reserve team if they stay in elite2, we're the reserve team of limoux but as a new team pomas has been set up they may become limoux reserves as they're closer,

I do not understand why the competition has been already structured one month before the election... It would have been better to see who will be the new president so he and his team would implement what they think is best. 

I do not know if Palanques is happy with this 11 team competition in Elite1..

I personnaly think that it was not the right move. but lets wait and see. 

Carcassonne made lot's of promises to villghailanc but as the presidency at carcassonne changes the promises weren't upheld, theirs talk of Villeneuve-Minervois being villghailanc reserve team if they stay in elite2, we're the reserve team of limoux but as a new team pomas has been set up they may become limoux reserves as they're closer,

Alan - whats the Federation ruling on Elite 1 clubs in relation to reserve teams?

Pomas will go straight into dn1 and have a lot of the old preixan and limoux players signing for them, my mate Daniel wagon who played with us this year is rumored to be the coach,

Gordon the rule is the list of 25 players in the elite1 first team can't play lower than elite2 for a reserve team, players not on this list can, if the reserve team is elite2 all the players can play,

The federation were trying to make all elite1 reserve teams to go straight into elite2,

I think they've given up on the idea,

So this year lezignan can play some of their first team with ferrals who have been promoted to elite2

I think, but do not know, that it's likely the leagues were set up like this according to where votes might come from in the election!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

La Réole XIII have two Spanish and a Serbian players in the squad. Interesting. 

I'm afraid them and Saint Gaudens are going to get destroyed week in week out. I could not find Saint Gaudens squad but La Réole holds a pretty good website with date of birth, name and nationality of all the players in the squad. They're young. 1995-1996 kids all around the pitch. 

Archived