Wayne Bennett now playing God with test selections

Seems that Wayne is busy deciding who can and can't play Test football next week. Broncos are releasing numerous players for Australia, NZ and Tonga. Milford has been selected for Samoa at stand-off

Full article - may be paywall issues http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/wayne-bennett-says-he-wont-allow-anthony-milford-to-play-for-samoa/news-story/fe840e0506134d66d84b9ea79bd60e00&memtype=registered

"The Rugby League International Federation last night took aim at Bennett, accusing the Broncos coach, who will also lead England at this year’s Four Nations, of double standards.

At least 10 Broncos players will feature in the NRL’s representative round next week, including Australian quintet Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire.

Kodi Nikorima, Jordan Kahu, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair will turn out for the Kiwis while Ofahengaue will represent Tonga ... but Bennett will not release Milford for Samoa.

In a week where ARL Commission chairman John Grant preached the importance of Test football, the absence of Milford is a massive blow for the health of the international game.

But Bennett, a long-time advocate of helping minnow nations, was standing firm, confirming Milford will not join Ofahengaue in the Pacific Test at Parramatta’s Pirtek Stadium.

“Anthony Milford is not playing for Samoa,” Bennett said.

“I don’t care what people think.

“I’ve made the call and Anthony will not be playing.”

Bennett’s decision went down like a lead balloon with Samoa coach Matt Parish, who had named Milford at five-eighth for the clash against Tonga. Parish declined to comment but confirmed Milford was eligible for selection and claimed the Broncos ace made it clear he wanted to represent Samoa."

And we've got him in charge of England

RL continually tries to destroy the international game

I think this is all to do with the emerging Queensland camp and Milford broke a curfew and was stood down for the year. We really don't help ourselves as an international game. What has this got to do with International football?

We need poster boys for countries like Fiji (Radradra), Samoa (Milford), PNG (Segeyaro), Tonga (Hurrell), NZ (Johnson), England (Burgess). Don't they realise this increases the profile of things like the World Cup and other International competitions - or should we all just play for 3 countries?

He's not allowed to do this, is he? Somebody fine him.

It is time we heard from the RLIF publically on these issues. They could have made a statement regarding Radradra - even if it was 'we have agreed to this as it was within the rules but this is not in the spirit of International RL".

City-Country will be the next thing in the coming days, pulling players from a pacific test for a few extra quid to play in a bush exhibition game.

If you make it one country only, would Milford have ever played for Samoa? or Hayne for Fiji? Milford is the one who changed his eligibility to Australia after the WC. Maybe we should respect Milford's right to make his own decisions.

I've got a lot of time for Wayne but that's shocking and it's time we stopped clubs having too much say and power over who will play. I'm assuming he's not injured and wants to play for Samoa. Is there more to this than there appears to be?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

If you make it one country only, would Milford have ever played for Samoa? or Hayne for Fiji? Milford is the one who changed his eligibility to Australia after the WC. Maybe we should respect Milford's right to make his own decisions.

Milford was pictured with a Samoa flag a couple of days ago in an article about him playing for Samoa.

But if the rules don't allow him to change and he's using this to by-pass the regulations that's just as wrong Ducky. I'm not one of those who cares about rules like this generally but there are a few players who opted for a  WC and now are choosing  Australia and the Roos don't exactly need them, do they?

Bit cynical and disappointing and quite selfish!

Maybe the rues have changed, but i always thought clubs had to release players selected for International duty?.. and if a player was deemed injured, the International team doctor had to sign him off, not the club.

Maybe things have changed.

Another example of the complete balls up which is International eligibility.

Didn't Milford pull out of a Samoa game so he could play for Queensland U-20's a couple of seasons back? so he would have had to declare for Australia then right?.. so now "IF' he actually does want to play for Samoa, he will have to have switched back.. right? But don't the rules state you can only switch once in between World Cup periods?.. Confusing.

I know the likes of Samoa want to have the best players available to them, but surely they should be saying to Milford "do one.. you turned your back on us last time we needed you"..

Wayne Bennett's comments do seem weird, i'd hazard a guess and say they are based on what he feels is best for Brisbane, and not anyone else.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

If the Aussies weren't so up their own backsides in terms of State of Origin then these things would be debated and sorted properly. In the end the 'main' priority of the game down under is to ensure every player possible is made available to ensure the 'ultimate' SOO matches the hype. They are not concerned about 30-50 players with no chance of being picked for SOO ruling themselves out of international football by p******g around in games such as Queensland U20s and City v Country.

If the Aussies weren't so up their own backsides in terms of State of Origin then these things would be debated and sorted properly. In the end the 'main' priority of the game down under is to ensure every player possible is made available to ensure the 'ultimate' SOO matches the hype. They are not concerned about 30-50 players with no chance of being picked for SOO ruling themselves out of international football by p******g around in games such as Queensland U20s and City v Country.

And there we have it, agendas that suit domestic stuff getting prefered over the status of our international game!

I'm not liking the Bennett England appointment more and more. I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't seem right.

He's a dyed in the wool Aussie and believes in the NRL more than anything, and these actions prove it. Is he watching SL games ? Will he just pick a NRL England XIII

I'm not liking the Bennett England appointment more and more. I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't seem right.

He's a dyed in the wool Aussie and believes in the NRL more than anything, and these actions prove it. Is he watching SL games ? Will he just pick a NRL England XIII

Of all the Australian movers and shakers in the last few decades, Wayne Bennett's been far more pro-international than most. Which makes his decision on Milford very uncharacteristic.

And, being typically Bennett, he doesn't seem to feel the need to explain himself.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

After changing his eligibility to OZ after the last WC I don't see how Milford could be eligible for Samoa before 2018. He also wanted to play for Junior Kiwis a few years ago. Maybe he's not very bright.

After changing his eligibility to OZ after the last WC I don't see how Milford could be eligible for Samoa before 2018. He also wanted to play for Junior Kiwis a few years ago. Maybe he's not very bright.

Well there's always that possibility, but Waynes role in this is not great!

In todays paper apparently Milford played for the QLD u20s. Because that was two years a go he would have been eligible for Samoa by 4 days on the day of the game.

As for Bennetts motives I can only speculate that Milford was naughty early this year getting himself banned from Queensland side. So instead letting Milford escape punishment by playing representative football for another nation Bennett put his foot down and said no, knowing next year Milford will play for Queensland and possibly Australia doing the kid a favor with out him knowing it.

I wish he didn't. The Pacific Islands left testical is already sore from Fiji's best player deciding he was an Australian this week. Now another great player actually wants to represent a Pacific Island and Rugby League finds a way to kick them in right testical and put them back on their knees again.

To be honest if that was the reason Bennett has done what he has, he's done the game a favour, as Milford would have only switched again next year to play Origin, thus saving us from another situation exposing the ridiculous state of the games laws at International level.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

It's not up to Bennett to make that call he should have stayed out of the situation - it's got noting to do with him whether somebody's banned from Queensland or they're switching allegiances

There's an argument that the call should have been made, but you're right.

If stopping him from playing for the Kiwis is correct under the laws, then the decision shouldn't have enforced by his club coach, but by the RLIF.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived