International Player Payment Cap

A tournament cap where all player payments are pooled and distributed evenly across all squads paid by a central pool of international monies coming from entry fees and sponsorship for an increased Four Nations to Five or Six.

No grandparent rule, parent only if you don't want to represent the nation of your birth. Pick one nation to represent and no change ever.

Would this address future Semi Radradra issues?

I am sure it would see an increase in players representing smaller nations in qualification tournaments as well in a bid to get to the big tournaments which would have more prestige and larger payments.

No. An ambitious player with more than one national qualification will, in most cases, plump for the one which promises the best and most immediate chance of international trophies (of which there are few enough in RL as it is). In other words, New Zealand, England or Australia.

"No change ever" means that the same player, if he didn't quite make it for the Big Three, but was still very talented, would be permanently blocked from representing an emerging nation which could otherwise call on his services.

That would be even more of a retrograde step than the current setup, as disappointing as it is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe... that once the player is 21 plays a grade for one season they should be then asked to decide which country they would like to represent (across the board) and by chance if they decide to change countries they can not play rep for at least 2 years... Im not a fan of the grand parent rules... It's abit out dated. My grandfather was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and my dad in the Soviet Union so i can play for Austria, Ukraine, Hugary,Belarus,Lithuania, Russia, Uzbekistan etc

My grandfather was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and my dad in the Soviet Union so i can play for Austria, Ukraine, Hugary,Belarus,Lithuania, Russia, Uzbekistan etc

jeez, you could probably captain any one of those national teams

No. An ambitious player with more than one national qualification will, in most cases, plump for the one which promises the best and most immediate chance of international trophies (of which there are few enough in RL as it is). In other words, New Zealand, England or Australia.

i hear your concern and it is a fair one, but I don't necessarily think that players will sway that way. I think many players may sway towards signing for a weaker nation in order to be more certain for selection and to ensure more opportunity to play on the big stage in expanded regular international events like a six nations.

i hear your concern and it is a fair one, but I don't necessarily think that players will sway that way. I think many players may sway towards signing for a weaker nation in order to be more certain for selection and to ensure more opportunity to play on the big stage in expanded regular international events like a six nations.

If the nations outside the top three played more often, that would persuade a lot more eligible players to declare for them. I think that would be more of an incentive than pooled/capped pay.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the nations outside the top three played more often, that would persuade a lot more eligible players to declare for them. I think that would be more of an incentive than pooled/capped pay.

I agree and it is going that way with the WC and Confed cup. Outside these the 2nd tier nations should be given the chance to play each other regularly in Euro champs and Pacific nations maybe including England and NZ at same time as Origin. Also let 2nd tier nations play each other from both hemispheres in the years when there is no WC or or Confed cup or play tests against one of the big 3 if they're touring

I agree and it is going that way with the WC and Confed cup. Outside these the 2nd tier nations should be given the chance to play each other regularly in Euro champs and Pacific nations maybe including England and NZ at same time as Origin. Also let 2nd tier nations play each other from both hemispheres in the years when there is no WC or or Confed cup or play tests against one of the big 3 if they're touring

Yes, it is heading in the right direction, albeit slowly.

An international Nines circuit might also be a draw for players, as they'd get plenty of matches in different parts of the world.

Rugby Union put a lot of work and investment into growing their Sevens series, and they have reaped the rewards for sticking at it, with big events around the world and Olympic inclusion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived