England Team To Face Cumbria

I'm going to the game on Sunday - my first trip to Whitehaven in fact. It's an interesting side, but I don't imagine too many of them will be heading down under for the 4 Nations.

When I was looking at the squad on teletext, my 12 year old son looked at the TV and the first thing he said was "Why does Paul Sykes always get picked? He's ######." Despite much thought I still can't give him an answer.

I'm going to the game on Sunday - my first trip to Whitehaven in fact. It's an interesting side, but I don't imagine too many of them will be heading down under for the 4 Nations.

When I was looking at the squad on teletext, my 12 year old son looked at the TV and the first thing he said was "Why does Paul Sykes always get picked? He's ######." Despite much thought I still can't give him an answer.

i too wouldnt be able to answer the question! why not give someone like stefan ratchford a chance, kids like him are the future and i think with the right coaching could be our answer to the halves, surprised in all the threads ive read he hasnt been mentioned.

England team for Garry Purdham Memorial Match at Whitehaven:

C Riley (Warrington); P Fox (Hull KR), M Shenton (Castleford), T Clubb (Harlequins), T Briscoe (Hull); P Sykes (Bradford), R Myler (Warrington); A Lynch (Bradford, capt), M Higham (Warrington), L McCarthy-Scarsbrook (Harlequins), J Westerman (Castleford), B Westwood (Warrington), J Langley (Bradford).

Replacements: N Scruton (Bradford), G Carvell (Warrington), J Broughton (Salford), R Atkins (Warrington), B Harrison (Warrington), S Murrell (Hull KR).

Why play Riley the best winger in the comp this year at fb???

And Sykes at 6!!!

Think the Cumbrians have a chance.

England team for Garry Purdham Memorial Match at Whitehaven:

C Riley (Warrington); P Fox (Hull KR), M Shenton (Castleford), T Clubb (Harlequins), T Briscoe (Hull); P Sykes (Bradford), R Myler (Warrington); A Lynch (Bradford, capt), M Higham (Warrington), L McCarthy-Scarsbrook (Harlequins), J Westerman (Castleford), B Westwood (Warrington), J Langley (Bradford).

Replacements: N Scruton (Bradford), G Carvell (Warrington), J Broughton (Salford), R Atkins (Warrington), B Harrison (Warrington), S Murrell (Hull KR).

Why play Riley the best winger in the comp this year at fb???

And Sykes at 6!!!

Hasn't Riley stated he prefers fullback?

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

He might but Smith doesn't! Riley aint safe under the high ball on the wing at Wire he's protected by King but when hes gone to full back he's not looked at all safe.

Smith isn't playing Myler but he's still been selected,it is an experiment after all.

Smith isn't playing Myler but he's still been selected,it is an experiment after all.

Myler is still a class act but Smith knows that he just didnt think he fitted in for the big games this season. Next year will be different I'm sure.

He might but Smith doesn't! Riley aint safe under the high ball on the wing at Wire he's protected by King but when hes gone to full back he's not looked at all safe.

Just a point Wendy,in a previous post you stated Riley was the best winger in SL yet he needs king to protect him,now I'm no Wigan fan but wasn't Pat Richards the Man of Steel and the highest points scorer this season and (correct me if I'm wrong) he's a winger isn't he?

Just a point Wendy,in a previous post you stated Riley was the best winger in SL yet he needs king to protect him,now I'm no Wigan fan but wasn't Pat Richards the Man of Steel and the highest points scorer this season and (correct me if I'm wrong) he's a winger isn't he?

Should have said best British winger then!

Thats the main problem, if you look at the England second string we have no depth because all the best backs in the comp are imports!

I might agree with you, if only we knew the Cumbria team!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

I might agree with you, if only we knew the Cumbria team!!!!!!

Well for starters

2 Gardner

9 Clarke or Lunt

13 Purdham

Thats a few decent SL players. I think they will see it as a big game after what happened up there and a chance to shine in the memory of Gary Purdham.

Ratchford is injured at the moment. He needs to get that sorted for next season.

oh right wasnt aware, in all honesty i think he could do with a move, mcrae is wastin ghis talent playing on the wing etc! and i think he will have a job on shifting holdsworth or smith. We need a half back at bradford i think he would flourish in a set position with a coach giving him a chance to play where hes best.

back on to sykes, steve mac could have even put richard horne in its always been our problem wheter england or GB playing people out of position