Very impressive viewing figures for France-England

This was mentioned by WeloveyouWakefield2 on the France-England thread but thought it worthy of a new topic.

Dave Woods tweeted today that the viewing figures on the red button alone was 330k. That's not including online or iPlayer.

I just looked at recent BARB stats for RB1. Final Score gets around 20-50k and that's comfortably the most watched thing on it.

Recent Scrum V and NFL programmes got 5k or less. 330k is superb.

Got to be on BBC2 next time!

I think I saw on twitter that it also attracted 400k viewers in France.

That means over 700k people tuned in. Compare that to average SL figures and the value of international RL, even when hidden away on RB is clear.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I think I saw on twitter that it also attracted 400k viewers in France.

That means over 700k people tuned in. Compare that to average SL figures and the value of international RL, even when hidden away on RB is clear.

Exact. We peaked right under 400K viewers. 

It calls for more. 

Let''s be honest - TV drives the revenue, and reacts to what the public see as top drawer.

So unless fans turn out in force and watch in great numbers, TV will continue to see club level as a bigger sell and put their money there.

However if fans do back international rl (which they have in steadily growing numbers), then this would see tournaments, starting with the World Cup overtake club level in appeal and revenue, thus providing more money and leverage for the international game.

I appreciate its a chicken and egg situation currently, but a few more hugely successful World Cups could transform these elements in international rl's favour, over the next decade or two.

Very encouraging figures on both sides of the channel then.I do hope the BBC start to give league more exposure because these figures prove that people are interested. Its a great sport with players that set good examples for the youth,Its also a great viewing spectacle and should be showcased more.

I'm disputing those figures, there were some empty seats in my lounge during the game.

Were they just not seeking cover from the water leak in your ceiling??

Not impressive at all. That's only about twice as as much as regular SL games, on a FTA channel.

Yep only twice as much for a game that was hastily arranged for the red button a few weeks before and shown for the first time on free to air TV in France for a long time.

Well, it does go to show even when hidden away and hastily put together and adding a silent movie bit for the half time discussion you can't keep RL folk down. :fan:

Well done to the Beeb for putting it on and a thumbs down for trying to make us play hide and seek to find it!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Okay cheers but as I do not have Foxtel I still don't understand how this red button works!

It's a bit like a very basic internet for tellies. There is some interactive stuff, written stuff (former teletext) and extra channel availability.

It gives the BBC more flexibility in what they offer. If Sky had the rights, they'd have bunged it on a smaller channel that could have it's schedules filled with repeats and minority sports. Because of 'the unique way they're funded' this kind of thing isn't an option for the BBC.

People called Romans they go the house

Archived