Anniversary Games

Went to the Olympic Stadium last night for the 2016 Anniversary Games. Brilliant event with Kendra Harrison breaking the 110m Hurdles World Record, Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Katarina Johnson-Thompson, Laura Muir breaking Kelly Holmes' 1500m record....

If I put my rugby league fan's hat on though, I'd have to point out that the place was only about three quarters full, tickets available on the day, in spite of the groupon offers, use of the olympic mailing list etc.

And a second day of action starts at lunchtime today, which doesn't clash with RL on the TV. Looking forward to it. :) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And a second day of action starts at lunchtime today, which doesn't clash with RL on the TV. Looking forward to it. :)

Still plenty of tickets available too...

Just seen the replay of Kendra Harrison's world record. Wow. Or, in Stevo mode, W.O.W. for mine.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

She dipped so low at the line that she went under the beam, which meant the times that initially appeared on the stadium screens were out by one, so no time for the last place (Jess Ennis I think.) Took a while for the stadium announcer to catch on that the photofinish showed a world record. Amazing that the US haven't picked her for the Olympics.

Fair  to say that the previous record, being set by a Bulgarian in the 1980s, was viewed with a little scepticism in some quarters.

The men's 4x100 relay saw two GB teams get all the way round without dropping the baton! :O 

Two fine performances too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

She dipped so low at the line that she went under the beam, which meant the times that initially appeared on the stadium screens were out by one, so no time for the last place (Jess Ennis I think.) Took a while for the stadium announcer to catch on that the photofinish showed a world record. Amazing that the US haven't picked her for the Olympics.

Fair  to say that the previous record, being set by a Bulgarian in the 1980s, was viewed with a little scepticism in some quarters.

The USA have olympic trials for track and field. For track the first three in each event qualify. Harrison finished sixth in her event.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

The USA have olympic trials for track and field. For track the first three in each event qualify. Harrison finished sixth in her event.

Yes, it is cut-throat. You could be an all-time great, but if you don't perform at the trials, that's it.

There are some concessions and considerations with other countries' qualification decisions, but there's something brutally honest about the USA's approach.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A great weekend for KJT in the high and long jumps.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, it is cut-throat. You could be an all-time great, but if you don't perform at the trials, that's it.

There are some concessions and considerations with other countries' qualification decisions, but there's something brutally honest about the USA's approach.

I don't think it maximises their chances of medals though. Particularly in events like hurdles, which can be a bit unpredictable with clipping a hurdle or where your race can be affected by what happens in the adjacent lane.

I don't think it maximises their chances of medals though. Particularly in events like hurdles, which can be a bit unpredictable with clipping a hurdle or where your race can be affected by what happens in the adjacent lane.

Oh, it can weaken a team. I agree totally with that. And she would grace the Olympics in her current form.

But then again, the ones that go through are tested by having to perform on the day, and you don't get a medal in the Olympics because you ran a faster time than the winner a couple of weeks earlier or later.

We have often seen someone have great performances in lower-level Athletics meetings, but who have repeatedly blown it under pressure of the really big finals. I'm thinking of the likes of Asafa Powell or Chris Rawlinson in recent years.

The USA trials are a hard lesson in performing to expectations when you have to, not when you feel like it (or when there's generous prize money on offer).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived