Please Help Sheffield Eagles

All,

As some of you may be aware for the past 10 days or so Sheffield Eagles supporters have made efforts to raise £20k

to bridge the gap between a takeover by a new investor,and an impasse with the local council and the investor.

In about 10 days the fund has nearly reached the three quarter position.

We would appreciate as many £10 donations as possible for the following reason: -

1)  It would be a major blow to the sport in general to lose a club which is indelibly written in the history books due to a Wembley Challenge Cup victory over Wigan Warriors in 1998.( Doesn't the British public love an underdog? )

2) After the humiliating treatment of opposition players and supporters at having to play and spectate at less than adequate stadia,as well as relocate regularly,it would allow the club to have a permanent home which will be a welcoming facility suitable to watching and playing our sport,should the club remain solvent and the stadium be constructed. ( Dialogue is ongoing between investor and council and please remember the home players and supporters have suffered even more than the travelling opposition players and supporters.)

3) It will be a boost to the Sheffield club and their supporters to be on the final straight with regard to reaching the target as they enter the final 7 days towards the deadline.

4) The club has paid out everything that has needed to be paid out and this is just to bridge the gap until new investment can be obtained.It should be a one-off request.

Please help with a £10 donation,if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/sheffieldeagles?rcid=4b3885e8817711e6b88abc764e052a98

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

May I take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the rugby league followers who have contributed to the fund to help Sheffield Eagles continue.

In particular Simon Davies,wishing us good luck,from Toronto,and I know of Bradford Bulls followers who have also contributed.

Just over a week to go.

After a fortnight of the 3 weeks timescale,16k of the requested 20k has now been reached.

201 people have contributed.

This may not only mean that Sheffield Eagles survive,but that future generations of rugby league supporters can attend a game

in a permanent home for the Sheffield Eagles that is fit for purpose.

Please donate as much as you can.This is the final week.

Just to play devils advocate slightly, what assurances do anyone donating to the fund have that the money will go to helping the club survive, and will the financial mis-management continue next season or are the entire board being replaced?

Sheffield have always been a nomadic club with a poor fan base, and as sad as it would be to lose any club, have Sheffield as a proposition run its course as happened at the likes of Bramley, Blackpool, Nottingham etc in recent years?

Even when they had those few seasons of dominating the championship the crowds were abysmal and clearly going full time this year in a boom or bust last throw of the dice has been a complete disaster.

Would a merger with Doncaster and a re-brand under the South Yorkshire banner not be a better and more viable alternative for the game in those parts?

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Just to play devils advocate slightly, what assurances do anyone donating to the fund have that the money will go to helping the club survive, and will the financial mis-management continue next season or are the entire board being replaced?

Sheffield have always been a nomadic club with a poor fan base, and as sad as it would be to lose any club, have Sheffield as a proposition run its course as happened at the likes of Bramley, Blackpool, Nottingham etc in recent years?

Even when they had those few seasons of dominating the championship the crowds were abysmal and clearly going full time this year in a boom or bust last throw of the dice has been a complete disaster.

Would a merger with Doncaster and a re-brand under the South Yorkshire banner not be a better and more viable alternative for the game in those parts?

I would suggest the same for Dewsbury and Batley, Fax and Wakey etc. but then I would be Uncle Mo.

The crowds at Don Valley were generally OK for the level they were at - a better ground on the same site with no interruptions would have probably got them higher. Since then fans have proved they don't like going to Donny and I suspect Donny's 300 hardcore fans and the Eagles' 300 hard core fans would dwindle to less than the two combined and nobody else wants to go to see "South Yorkshire Steelmen" because nobody really identifies with South Yorkshire.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

No some Leigh fans put the money in the pot without a begging page, I can understand White Lion ARLFC doing this to raise clubhouse money but not a pro club. They could secure this on next years funding, ie Bob puts the 20k up and takes it from the first 4 months of funding next year.

Yes you do have a short memory

Have a great memory Mark, it's £20k remortgage at super low interest rates, it just seems trendy and easy option to go this route, a route for genuine cases when life has dealt a bad card to someone we should be helping.

Leigh last went into a cva in 2002/3 ish, two parties wanted the club and a consortium took ownership , no begging bowls. 2011 when the owners business went under we sold Hill and took the central fund early to offset cash flow

Feel this for such a small amount makes our sport look like a corner shop

Have a great memory Mark, it's £20k remortgage at super low interest rates, it just seems trendy and easy option to go this route, a route for genuine cases when life has dealt a bad card to someone we should be helping.

Leigh last went into a cva in 2002/3 ish, two parties wanted the club and a consortium took ownership , no begging bowls. 2011 when the owners business went under we sold Hill and took the central fund early to offset cash flow

Feel this for such a small amount makes our sport look like a corner shop

Not true. There were 'begging bowls' all around the town in pubs and clubs and collections in the shops and businesses around Leigh.

The Fund has now reached 17k as it enters the final week for donations.

£20k is ten sponsors putting £2k in, if you don't have access to £20k then seriously is it worth it

There was a suggestion that 2k rugby league fans donate the princely sum of £10 bearing in mind holidays have just been paid for and Christmas/Winter Festival is next up.That doesn't seem to have gained popularity despite the generosity of followers in Toronto,Leeds and Bradford,that I know about.

It should be worth it because it is money to bridge the time lapse between outgoing chairman,new stadium provider and new investment giving/getting the go-ahead after laborious consultations with a Labour council.

I wouldn't have thought the RFL would offer Sheffield Eagles the option of taking next years central funding early,also,why hinder the future progress of the club at this delicate time.

The hypocrisy of a Leigh supporter does lend itself to a particular political party.

If 20k is going to be sufficient to fill the gap,and continuity maintained,I'm certain it will be reached and a corner shop will be accessible for future generations to enjoy - if we can manage to get a Leahy type figure involved.

The money is coming from supporters.The sponsors will have more funds available should the club continue;I hope.

Please donate...

Rochdale now crowdfunding to get money together for winners medals for their squad

The message is "PT players asked for £72 for their winners medals"

Surely the club can afford to pay for the extra medals needed. I know Amateur clubs in similar circumstances who would just foot the bill?

We all wish S Es well but I agree with Craig that 20k is a very small sum to seek to raise in this way. For an amateur or junior club then fine. I have offered this very sum to sponsor an English Schools' 9s but no RFL interest.

It's not that small as it hasn't been raised,yet.

How else do you think it should be raised?

Unlike Leigh who have the LISA in place and who make efforts to raise money,frequently,the Sheffield supporters have not contributed to the club;or been asked to,hitherto.

It's a one-off request due to this perfect storm,which also impacted on shirt sponsors due to Cyclone Winston.

The club has not at any stage whinged publicly about it but gone about attempting to save the club in a quiet and dignified manner.

Perhaps I have erred by making the information public and requesting a little outside help for a club in south Yorkshire to survive, and possibly get a purpose built stadium located inside their city boundary.

Right.Lesson learned.I'll not be interested in future generations of rugby league supporters who may have derived the same amount of pleasure from the sport as myself.

It's been memorable.

Rochdale now crowdfunding to get money together for winners medals for their squad

The message is "PT players asked for £72 for their winners medals"

Surely the club can afford to pay for the extra medals needed. I know Amateur clubs in similar circumstances who would just foot the bill?

£72 for each medal? Wow that's expensive. Don't the Arafat provide any?

Archived