Bradford - last one out shut the gate.

Unless you have a very rich benefactor its stupid to have a full time squad in the championship.

If you don't then as it stands you can't win anything in the championship

It's stupid to push Championship Clubs to be professional, the RFL did it last year and nobody won anything. Now most of them are no-chancers and face further decline. 

I hope this point won't get shouted down!

This is Bradford doing the right thing. We're up to squad number 44 this weekend (with only 18 and 36 unused).

A few are fringe players who have barely played a game, a number are those who have played but not very well and the rest of the departures go with our best wishes after rightly looking after themselves. This squad bombed, so a clear out is needed.

It should hopefully be a case of stripping back and really rebuilding, what the Bulls didn't do when they were relegated.

Do we need further evidence that trying to get Championship clubs to compete with SL and bringing back promotion/relegation is damaging to the sport?

London are getting a good player in Jay Pitts out of this though!

And Adrian Purtell, but he's so-so.

Do we need further evidence that trying to get Championship clubs to compete with SL and bringing back promotion/relegation is damaging to the sport?

Don't know about that. Clubs have the option and I understand some of the newer clubs, Gloucester etc, have been praised for their models being more sustainable.

The Bradford Wikipedia page has been updated a few hours ago and although some signing are TBA, seems that the decisions have been made.

by that methodology we will have to use Crusaders, Bulls and Wakefield (probably missed a few) as examples of clubs struggling financially in licensing times and therefore a system that harms RL.

Clubs struggle under any system, even in the NRL.

Fans want clubs to 'speculate to accumulate' but it is a risky approach.

Unless you have a very rich benefactor its stupid to have a full time squad in the championship.

So how do you then compete for promotion?

What do you do, just provide Cannon Fodder for Leigh and then get smashed by SL clubs.

If it's stupid to do this then why were the RFL encouraging clubs to go professional and crowing that the system was working when they pushed several into it or nearly into it??

people need to see what the problem is, this system, and they need to be able to discuss it.

Looks like their planning running with a much reduced squad next year, with current cash flow and HMRC problems dictating things.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbulls/14694913.Smith_rebuilding_with_trimmed_down_Bradford_Bulls_squad_ahead_of_mass_exodus_at_Odsal/

Not be shouted down by a small cabal, it's pretty ironic your the messenger for Bradford's demise.

The folly in my eyes of getting rid of licensing

The folly was not bringing back the P & R system most of the top SL clubs wanted in which the Championship clubs would all be semi professional and Leigh would be up by now and bradford would still be able to compete for promotion 2018 along with all the other clubs.

This system has become a one horse race as clubs drop out of going fully professional which is the only way to get promotion. To get promotion you have to become an SL club first as Martyn Sadler sets out in his editorial monday.

Don't know about that.

Clubs have the option and I understand some of the newer clubs, Gloucester etc, have been praised for their models being more sustainable.

What do you actually know because you won't engage in a debate with me about it will you?

If you think "Gloucester" is the sustainable model for a club to grow and eventually be a Superleague club then with respect your in a fantasy land.

One by one Championship clubs are withdrawing from this ridiculous one horse race, Fev and Halifax made noises but backed out, Sheffield are ruined, Bradford are going backwards as predicted by Jimmy Lowes, London are hardly "professional" enough to compete and you think this one horse race is the business??

The folly was not bringing back the P & R system most of the top SL clubs wanted in which the Championship clubs would all be semi professional and Leigh would be up by now and bradford would still be able to compete for promotion 2018 along with all the other clubs.

This system has become a one horse race as clubs drop out of going fully professional which is the only way to get promotion. To get promotion you have to become an SL club first as Martyn Sadler sets out in his editorial monday.

What do you actually know because you won't engage in a debate with me about it will you?

If you think "Gloucester" is the sustainable model for a club to grow and eventually be a Superleague club then with respect your in a fantasy land.

One by one Championship clubs are withdrawing from this ridiculous one horse race, Fev and Halifax made noises but backed out, Sheffield are ruined, Bradford are going backwards as predicted by Jimmy Lowes, London are hardly "professional" enough to compete and you think this one horse race is the business??

Where did I say that? Not juggling words again are you?

I don't have the information to decide whether Clubs are sustainable or not, but, after consultation, the RFL do:-

"By comparison, the successful recent inclusion of Oxford, Hemel and Gloucester into Championship 1 (Tier 3), using a more modest business model, demonstrates an alternative approach which can deliver more sustainable results."

I love these threads. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone complained about the system ruining the game and being pointless. I can't wait for the return to straight P&R and then similar threads on clubs going all out to get promoted, yo-yoing and going bust and then similar threads when we go back to licensing which hindered competition and made clubs complacent. It's all one big merry go round, without much merriment! Only in rugby league!

So how do you compete to get promoted?

Under the current system you can't until, the rich benefactors give up or the rich benefactors gett their teams promoted and none come down with a rich benefactor.

It amusese me that the supporters of championship clubs have been screaming for years about wanting an even playing field are now shouting about how fantastic the 8s are when it produces a ridiculously uneven playing field. I sit here highly amused by the hypocrisy of it all.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The folly was not bringing back winter rugby, unlimited tackles, the line out, Eddie Waring and Sunday Bloody Sunday! :D Everyone knows that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

While Marc Green is hardly in the Koukash or Beaumont class, it is a prime example of chucking money at a problem and it not working.  Money isn't always the answer, though it's admittedly a bloody big part of it.  Some poor roster choices were made last year and I don't think Lowes helped with the atmosphere.

Though typically Heppenstall takes a negative viewpoint, 'exodus' over mass clearout of people surplus to requirements or clearly deserve a shot at higher level competition, it's not the end of the world and I'm sure with a younger squad, Smith will be able to instill the right mentality to compete better next year with a tightened up squad.  It certainly seems to be a better balance of the sporting side with the business side and with the academy doing well, despite this years disastrous campaign I'm positive about the clubs survival, even a part time one.

We, Bradford, failed to deliver and were complacent this year even more than last.

That's why we didn't make the Middle 8s.

That's why a bloated, under performing squad is being culled.

That's what this thread is about.

It'll make it more difficult when injuries arise but easier to select and meld a decent 'team' together. Good to see Rohan sees the positives in all this, which will, hopefully, rub off on the players.

If you take a snapshot of any season on our great game in any year since the early 70s you will find the same "story".

Of course, if we negotiate a bigger TV deal, and make sure it is distributed fairly, you could have both p and r and licensing in a 2 tier SL. 10 teams in each, play the same league teams home and away and cross league once. To the existing 12, add London, Toulouse, Bradford, Leigh, Toronto, a Cumbrian side, Fev and Sheff (just off the top of my head).

You get:

- expansion;

- security of income;

- variation of fixtures;

- safety nets for struggling clubs;

- traditional heavyweights "back where they belong"...

When I run the game, that's my blueprint.

Happy for virtually all the leaving players to go. I'd like to have kept Addy and especially Mitch Clark, but life goes on. Pitts is a very good player but not big enough really. Fergie was decent too.

Gled said on the radio today that some players were refusing to play, mentioned Gaskell and Clough. Rohan's number one priority is attitude, so we can why some of the supposed better players are being shown the door.

If you look at the core squad that's going to be at Odsal next season it looks very handy indeed.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

With so many players leaving and having to be replaced, who is likely to be advising Rohan Smith about which players from the British game could add strength to the Bulls team?

I know he has great contacts in Australia but you can only bring in a certain number from abroad on top of the ones already here like Chisolm, Moss etc and the rest will have to be British.

With Steve Ferres gone and assistant Diskin going to Batley who will be the person with the knowledge of Championship rugby helping Smith to put together the rest of the side?

I know you are rumoured to be bringing in a few from London, are these players Smith would have known from his previous spell in the capital?

Not directly because I think he was at London about 11 years ago. However, from what I have read and heard Rohan is a real student of the game and has been in all his extensive assistant career. Plus Uncle Tony knows a bit about the British game, and we'll have the usual scouts and agents, etc.

Archived