Sky Subscription Increase

£5 per month increase.  £5 per sodding month increase.  And the number 1 thing they promote for its value?  Football.  Sodding football.

Now, that's the final straw.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£5 per month increase.  £5 per sodding month increase.  And the number 1 thing they promote for its value?  Football.  Sodding football.

Football was the reason all the rugby league magazine programmes went online.  Clearly Sky couldn't afford its soccer bid but went ahead anyway thinking all the other sports fans would stick with it regardless.  However, I know I'm seriously considering kicking it into the long grass and just paying for day passes whenever I want to watch a match on TV.

I was going to go with the Sky Q thing as it would have been £1.50 extra a month for the actually quite impressive new technology.  Good job I delayed I'd have been tied into an 18 month contract with no option to leave Sky Movies/Sports if they increased the price.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Wazzup? Don't  you like soccer?    :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Wazzup? Don't  you like soccer?    :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I don't mind it.  I find myself enjoying the occasional game.  I get more entertainment from Sky showing the Indian Kabaddi league than I do their football though.

Sky and BT now bidding against each other for football will just keep driving up the price of Sky, yet they'll keep spreading the cost among all the subscribers who don't watch football.  They know that if they lumped it onto Sky Sports then they'd lose far more than just a few fed up non-football sports lovers.

You mean you don't want to watch e-sports?  Sky Sports 1 was showing people playing Fifa soccer game last night...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I left Sky a long time ago, I now have BT Sport (free one for broadband subscribers) for the rugby and I have a NOW tv box and buy day passes for the occasional rugby international on Sky.

I stock up on day sport passes when Amazon is doing it Black-Friday type sales and selling off cheap NOW tv boxes with a couple of day passes included which works out cheaper than buying them from NOW tv directly.

I left Sky a couple of seasons back, they called my bluff and wouldn't get me half price Sky sports for the winter after the Rugby season had finished so I followed through with my threat to quit!

Recently dipped my toe back in with You Tube, an old medium that I'd given up on ages ago, but the quality of things on there these days has gone through the roof, having recently bought a VW camping, seem to find myself chain watching people trundling around Europe leading far more interesting lifes than I.

Would never have found alot of what I watch now if I was still in the vegtable state of flicking through the Sky planner, convinced there must be something to watch in these hundreds of channels!

Apart from my hatred of all things Murdoch, I certainly wouldn't want to pay for the soccer deal.  I detest soccer.  I' wouldn't mind live Test Cricket, but I'm not here during the day anyway so I watch the highlights on 5. Plus of course Sky doesn't cover the Championship; anyway.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I must admit i just really like sky, from the interface to the range of programming to the innovation.

On any price rise i must admit to never having really felt ripped off. There is usually a discount somewhere to offset it ie. broadband offer but in any case when I think about the previous year or so there are usually some new things that I have found add value. This last 12 months has seen more live Rugby League games with the addition of middle 8s, online games and challenge cup. Im ok with an extra few quid for that alone, plus some of the unbelievable US tv shows.

I left Sky a couple of seasons back, they called my bluff and wouldn't get me half price Sky sports for the winter after the Rugby season had finished so I followed through with my threat to quit!

Recently dipped my toe back in with You Tube, an old medium that I'd given up on ages ago, but the quality of things on there these days has gone through the roof, having recently bought a VW camping, seem to find myself chain watching people trundling around Europe leading far more interesting lifes than I.

Would never have found alot of what I watch now if I was still in the vegtable state of flicking through the Sky planner, convinced there must be something to watch in these hundreds of channels!

The YouTube thing chimes with my experience. For many years, I had a computer that struggled to play video at any resolution. Then I got a new laptop and started to see the point of YT. 

Now, with an Amazon TV Stick, it is excellent, not just for YouTube, but other online video services too. In the last few weeks, I have watched Gymnastics and Athletics via the BBC Sport app, and the quality was pretty much indistinguishable from standard resolution FreeView TV. Okay, you sometimes get a bit of buffering at times when the internet service is slow, but not often. And it doesn't tie up your computer once you've started playback.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The YouTube thing chimes with my experience. For many years, I had a computer that struggled to play video at any resolution. Then I got a new laptop and started to see the point of YT.

Now, with an Amazon TV Stick, it is excellent, not just for YouTube, but other online video services too. In the last few weeks, I have watched Gymnastics and Athletics via the BBC Sport app, and the quality was pretty much indistinguishable from standard resolution FreeView TV. Okay, you sometimes get a bit of buffering at times when the internet service is slow, but not often. And it doesn't tie up your computer once you've started playback.

We've gone one better and now have Smart TV. We get You Tube, Netflix and all the catch up services direct to our 42'' wide screen HD TV. :)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

We've gone one better and now have Smart TV. We get You Tube, Netflix and all the catch up services direct to our 42'' wide screen HD TV. :)

I'm sticking with my current TV 'til it dies a natural death. Can you load extra apps onto a Smart TV or is it a closed system and you get what you're given?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm sticking with my current TV 'til it dies a natural death. Can you load extra apps onto a Smart TV or is it a closed system and you get what you're given?

There are a wide range of apps available, but I don't know the limits.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Stick Kodi on a flash drive and install onto the TV and you can pretty much watch what you like.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I don't have Sky but my dad does, so I watch Sky Go on my iPad via his account. Looks like he'll be ditching it soon though because of the price hike. I already split the cost with him but he's just had enough of it.

I think Sky have really underestimated how many people are at the point of leaving.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

We've been dallying with getting rid of Sky for a while. With the hike in the price coming into force our minds have been made up; it will be going this weekend. Personally it's just not value for money any more, other than the rugby 90% of our viewing can be sourced elsewhere for free (legally before anyone asks :rolleyes:).

I understand everyone's frustration with SKY and indeed I will be phoning them when I get my letter.

But, imagine the consequences if we all pulled the plug and they in turn pulled the plug on RL.

We moan about the prices but SKY are our biggest backer. Could we survive without their money?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

No, but if, as I did, you make it clear you'll pay for rugby league but not football eventually the message will get through.

Archived