Windows 10

On a serious point though, I've installed it on 5 separate instances now and it's good.  It's brought back some of the things that they removed in Win8 that they should never have removed and it's also a lot faster.  My 2011 Macbook Pro with Win10 in a VMWare Fusion VM is much faster.  On Bootcamp on the same machine, it's more efficient as well, Win7 used to get the fans going quite quickly with anything more complex than Calculator but Win10 is quite silent unless i push the machine a bit.

And yes, there are very good reasons why Windows on a Mac is a good thing.  Always 2nd choice OS but I need it for some games that just won't play on Mac OS and are too meaty for running on a VM.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Trouble is, I've got two 4-in-1 Epson Aculaser printers that will work on Windows 7, not on Windows 8. The machines cost £600 apiece and I've got £1000 of ink. When my Windows XP laptop broke last year, I had to buy a secondhand laptop to get Windows 7 and still be able to print off it. I'm not going to risk the upgrade to Windows 10.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I'm looking at going to a mac... in fact I might make the plunge tonight...!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Trouble is, I've got two 4-in-1 Epson Aculaser printers that will work on Windows 7, not on Windows 8. The machines cost £600 apiece and I've got £1000 of ink. When my Windows XP laptop broke last year, I had to buy a secondhand laptop to get Windows 7 and still be able to print off it. I'm not going to risk the upgrade to Windows 10.

You sure about that?  You can get Aculaser drivers for everything from Windows 98 to Win 10 from here.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I got the 'upgrade' notification a while back, but have only just noticed that my laptop has been trying and failing to do the installation for a few days now.

I'm currently wondering whether to stick with Windows 7 (which is working fine) or go troubleshooting and try to get Windows 10.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I got the 'upgrade' notification a while back, but have only just noticed that my laptop has been trying and failing to do the installation for a few days now.

I'm currently wondering whether to stick with Windows 7 (which is working fine) or go troubleshooting and try to get Windows 10.

Same for me. Turning off all protection, then updating vis Windows update seemed to work, though that may just be coincidence.

Thanks John I had an error 0x80004005 which is an issue with syncing accounts, I trawled all the windows forums and the best solution was to go back to 8.1 till the bug was fixed, it's causing a bit of a problem with a lot of e mail accounts ie Karoo which I use. Gmail was fine, as soon as I put 8.1 back on my Karoo mail synced straight away.

Same for me. Turning off all protection, then updating vis Windows update seemed to work, though that may just be coincidence.

Didn't for me, so I went to the Microsoft site, downloaded the media creation tool and it is currently downloading the files.

Some time later today, I will eother report on success or break the TRL swear filter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

All updated successfully. As far as older software's concerned, it did reinstall Paint Shop Pro 8 instead of just running it the first time, but (thankfully) didn't ask for the purchase code, which I no longer have.

I was a little worried about get_iplayer, which runs from a old-school command line, but that was fine.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Updated mine from Windows 7 at the weekend. Update was very smooth and seamless. The only snag being the update remapped the keyboard to US configuration which meant I couldn't log back on initially as I have the # character in my password which no longer resided under the # key on my keyboard. Fortunately Mrs griff9of13 has a login without any special characters that I was able to use to gain access and then change the default language back to English (Uk). So a word of warning, if you have similar special characters in your password change it for the upgrade process and then change it back once done or you may lock yourself out.

Other than that everything seems to be working fine.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

It does do the upgrade in the background but you have to wait for the ready to install notification before it installs.

Upgraded from 8.1 last week without a single hitch (printer, password with odd characters etc) on the PC.

The code for the upgrade has now down loaded for the laptop so waiting for the install notification to see if it goes as well from 7

It does do the upgrade in the background but you have to wait for the ready to install notification before it installs.

Upgraded from 8.1 last week without a single hitch (printer, password with odd characters etc) on the PC.

The code for the upgrade has now down loaded for the laptop so waiting for the install notification to see if it goes as well from 7

I didn't get the notification, and when I checked my upgrade history, it had multiple instances of install failure for Windows 10.

So if anyone hasn't had the notification, doing it manually via the Microsoft site is worth trying. You can also download a portable install to a disc or USB drive, for immediate installation on other devices you own.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BTW, Windows 10 is the first Microsoft OS to support FLAC audio files natively. The metadata shows up in Windows Explorer and the files can be played in Windows Media Player and Groove Music.

The startup time is definitely quicker than the same machine with Windows 7. My older software all still works fine.

However, what 10 offers over 7 doesn't really seem significant to me, so if you are happy with your older setup, you may as well stick with it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 months later...

I tried up grading back in the summer and I didn't like it, so I switched back.

Should I have stuck with it?

Now that users have some experience is it better? And should I give it another go?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived