Home Brew

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to do a bit back in the late 80s, early 90s but only from "kits". Results from some were very good. I fancy having a go at "proper" brewing.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Have made a few from kits in the past couple of years. The cheapest kit (cider) came out the best.

Many of the larger independent breweries like St Peters and Hambleton do their own kits, and it seems that the kits are vastly better now than they were. You can even source the right yeast to match the brew you are making, rather than using the generic yeast kit supplied, as I did when making a Wheat Beer.

Go on The Homebrew Forum there are many, many recipes on there with a plethora of advice and tips.

Wilkinsons do a good range of kits and equipment.

Brew Dog DIY Dog

"With DIY Dog we wanted to do something that has never been done before as well as paying tribute to our home brewing roots. We wanted to take all of our recipes, every single last one, and give them all away for free, to the amazing global home brewing community."

Enjoy

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I only tried home brewing one, years ago, as a teenager. I think I made all the mistakes at once and the results weren't very good. There are lots of kits on the market these days, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I only tried home brewing one, years ago, as a teenager. I think I made all the mistakes at once and the results weren't very good. There are lots of kits on the market these days, though.

Cleanlinesses and fastidiousness are essential to good home brewing. Neither are strong qualities found in your average teenager. :rolleyes:

Cleanlinesses and fastidiousness are essential to good home brewing. Neither are strong qualities found in your average teenager. :rolleyes:

Neither is patience.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would say patience is much more important.  Even poor home-brew rarely has the taste of bacterial infestation and yeast with hops can keep bacteria down.  A cool temperature is very important though (which makes student homes where the heating is considered a waste is ideal) and plenty of time.  Generally, just wait far longer than you think necessary.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I've been brewing for a couple of years.

I recently progressed to all-grain from doing a couple of kits and partial mashes. I was surprised how straight forward it was. However, I have had a couple of issues that maybe more experienced brewers could help me with!

I've done 2 all-grain batches following recipes I had and both have come out with a much higher gravity than expected (1.070 compared to 1.044). Should I water it down if this is the case?

The second one is quite the pickle, I bottled my first batch and primed it as I have many times with kits and it has completely failed to carbonate. I've looked on forums who generally say it eventually will but it's been 2 months now. I'm thinking I've either kept them too cold or I left it to long in the fermenter.

In the late 1980's-1990's I did some from kit form, Lager mostly, I initially put the in 2 litre bottles, then 1 pint bottles for convienience, then when I moved to Uxbridge I started doing in in 40 litre plastic barrels.

The sugar I used was just ordinary granulated cane sugar Tate & Lyles, and one brew I had to use beet sugar, didn't taste as good. Another brew I used too much caster sugar, and made it too strong to drink properly, after that I experimented with Golden Syrup after I saw a documentary on brewing, made it much clearer

I've been brewing for a couple of years.

I recently progressed to all-grain from doing a couple of kits and partial mashes. I was surprised how straight forward it was. However, I have had a couple of issues that maybe more experienced brewers could help me with!

I've done 2 all-grain batches following recipes I had and both have come out with a much higher gravity than expected (1.070 compared to 1.044). Should I water it down if this is the case?

The second one is quite the pickle, I bottled my first batch and primed it as I have many times with kits and it has completely failed to carbonate. I've looked on forums who generally say it eventually will but it's been 2 months now. I'm thinking I've either kept them too cold or I left it to long in the fermenter.

I use cornelius kegs for my beer so i force carbonate, if you can afford to upgrade its worth the investment

The problem with beer kits is that it's very hard to make a really good beer in small quantities.

Many years ago I bought a large Baby Burco boiler and from Golding or similar hops, proper malt, not extract, and fresh brewers yeast produced some really excellent ales.

I did have an advantage in working in a microbiology lab and could autoclave all the kit, bottles and caps.

Gave up when I felt the short term memory wasn't as good as it should be and have drunk in moderation ever since.

i dont use fresh yeast, does it make much difference

No idea! Probably not. I was just being a purist ☺. I kept my own culture going from a bottle of Whitbread White Shield (which was one of one of my favourites)

i dont use fresh yeast, does it make much difference

I did my PhD in brewing yeast.

No, much of yours will be dead, but new stuff will grow and it will be fine.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I did my PhD in brewing yeast.

No, much of yours will be dead, but new stuff will grow and it will be fine.

PhD in yeast?

Isn't it either dead or alive? And if it's poorly stick it in the damp, warm and dark and give it some sugar.

I suspect I'm being a bit simplistic

I'm also an expert on dermatology. If it's wet dry it and if it's dry wet it.

I'm now studying Gynaecology, I don't know anything about it but I'll have a blooyd good look at it for you.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

PhD in yeast?

Isn't it either dead or alive? And if it's poorly stick it in the damp, warm and dark and give it some sugar.

I suspect I'm being a bit simplistic

I'm also an expert on dermatology. If it's wet dry it and if it's dry wet it.

I'm now studying Gynaecology, I don't know anything about it but I'll have a blooyd good look at it for you.

You know the taste of beer?  Good, do you know the taste of candidia?  Quite a difference.

You know the taste of beer?  Good, do you know the taste of candidia?  Quite a difference.

Got me. I knew you would!

But your knowing what Candida tastes like ( compared to brewing an do baking yeast) impresses me more.

Do I have to move to Denmark to take the course?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Got me. I knew you would!

But your knowing what Candida tastes like ( compared to brewing an do baking yeast) impresses me more.

Do I have to move to Denmark to take the course?

You can sample both in Coventry, I am sure!

I studied it back when I was with the Cavs, but I think Nottingham University might still be able to give you a PhD in beer, otherwise Herriott Watt in Edinburgh/

Archived