Wigan have snared the Melbourne Storm trio. Who can stop Wigan?

I always think that the key point with signings is whether they give you more than you have. Finch for Deacon, Lima for Feca and Hoffman for Bailey sounds good to me.

Wigan have a pretty strong team this year, top of the league indeed, but we lack a good organising 7 to supplement our Sam, and need some big lads in the pack. This gives us both of those in spades. Plus they know MM's ways. I would be pretty surprised if MM signed a duff player from Melbourne and am even prepared to trust his judgement over pretty much every poster on here, without being harsh.

With so much salary cap freed up the next challenge is to find another strike/utility back and then we're very good to go.

Roberts

Goulding

Gleeson

Carmont

Richards

Sam

Finch

Lima

Mc

Coley

Hoffman

Joel

Lockers...

Not too shabby that with Fielden, Prescott, Mossop, Davies, Hock, Farrell and Tuson as forward cover.

The best time to follow any club is when they are on the rise. Wigan are certainly that. It's 1984 all over again.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always think that the key point with signings is whether they give you more than you have. Finch for Deacon, Lima for Feca and Hoffman for Bailey sounds good to me.

Wigan have a pretty strong team this year, top of the league indeed, but we lack a good organising 7 to supplement our Sam, and need some big lads in the pack. This gives us both of those in spades. Plus they know MM's ways. I would be pretty surprised if MM signed a duff player from Melbourne and am even prepared to trust his judgement over pretty much every poster on here, without being harsh.

With so much salary cap freed up the next challenge is to find another strike/utility back and then we're very good to go.

Roberts

Goulding

Gleeson

Carmont

Richards

Sam

Finch

Lima

Mc

Coley

Hoffman

Joel

Lockers...

Not too shabby that with Fielden, Prescott, Mossop, Davies, Hock, Farrell and Tuson as forward cover.

The best time to follow any club is when they are on the rise. Wigan are certainly that. It's 1984 all over again.

Still way too many foreigners in that team.

If they sign there won't be any trouble with the quotas or salary cap.

BTW Leuluai & Hansen are now considered "home grown" under the new rules.

I have heard they Hansen name banded about a bit regarding overseas players, and it begs a question to me. Hansen was born in Salford and learnt his trade at Folly Lane. So, my question is; if somebody is eligible to play for another country, and chooses to do so, are they classed as overseas, even if they were born and bred in the UK?

I have heard they Hansen name banded about a bit regarding overseas players, and it begs a question to me. Hansen was born in Salford and learnt his trade at Folly Lane. So, my question is; if somebody is eligible to play for another country, and chooses to do so, are they classed as overseas, even if they were born and bred in the UK?

No Hansen will be classed as homegrown

Was Hansen born in the UK?

Does he consider himself British as he has played for NZ and Samoa at international level?

He also represented England at Academy level, with distinction, so he's done his bit for England.

Agree.

He does class as home grown, but he was born in Auckland.

included in the 2003 England Academy squad to face the Australian Institute of Sport, scoring tries in both matches of England 2-0 Series victory

Edited by 1976PMJwires

ah sorry, wasn't born and bred, but he must have come over quite young, as he went to school in England.

Correct, I seem to remember issues with Gleeson a few years ago with the rules, can't remember what it was but had something to do with how long gleeson had spent in Aus as a kid.

Inglis may go to Brisbane. Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater will stay in Melbourne for sure.

But Wigan have snared Jeff Lima, Ryan Hoffman, and Brett Finch.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-...0717-10f2q.html

I would now appear that Wigan have their 2011 Grand Final appearance chalked in, with a victory almost certain.

WHY

What is the bloody point in franchise was this not supposed to end

FOXY.jpg

WHY

No. All three are quality players (well, Hoffman is very good - the other two are OK). They should, in theory, enhance the Wigan team and add to our game.

It is the middling and poor Crims that we should be refusing.

People called Romans they go the house

WHY

No it wasn't supposed to end. Show me anything from the RFL that says that come licensing all imports will end, its never been said even as an aim.

The idea is to reduce quantity and improve quality of imports. Even that has to be a slow process because of all the complications of people who have contracts, people who have eligibility under previous rules and the fact that we have to obey the law of the land.

Anybody who has been under the impression that a change to licensing will suddenly change everything in the game is...

... stopped there to avoid moderation. :D

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The idea is to reduce quantity and improve quality of imports.

Whats gone wrong in this case with these 3 then?

Reducing quantity....Yes

Improving quality.....No

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Whats gone wrong in this case with these 3 then?

Reducing quantity....Yes

Improving quality.....No

You are wrong.

Hoffman is a blockbusting forward, who will be scoring a lot of tries for Wigan with bursts from 20 yards out. He will also be cutting down so many Warrington, St Helens, Hull FC and Leeds attackers, that you will be thanking your lucky stars that you have Michael McGuire and Ian Lenagan making player purchase decisions.

Finch is a decent, though not great, half back. He talks a lot on the field, though because of the accent, what he says may not be understood by all of his team mates. Watch out for him giving a spray to some Wigan player who makes a big mistake. Finch does have an excellent field kicking game though. In this regard he will give Wigan another set of kicking options, which is why Bellamy brought him to Melbourne in the first place.

Finch managed three Origins for the Blues, with his debut coming in 2004, and his most famous appearance in 2006 when he was a late call-up. Called-up on the eve of the game, Finch scored a try, set up another two and kicked the winning field goal to give NSW a remarkable 17-16 win.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

You are wrong.

Hoffman is a blockbusting forward, who will be scoring a lot of tries for Wigan with bursts from 20 yards out. He will also be cutting down so many Warrington, St Helens, Hull FC and Leeds attackers, that you will be thanking your lucky stars that you have Michael McGuire and Ian Lenagan making player purchase decisions.

Finch is a decent, though not great, half back. He does have an excellent field kicking game though. Finch will give Wigan another set of kicking options, which is why Bellamy brought him to Melbourne in the first place.

Hoffman is no better than they have

Tompkins is on a par with Finch and will only get better

You forget to mention a waste of a quota spot in Lima?

Wrong am i :lol:

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Hoffman is no better than they have

Tompkins is on a par with Finch and will only get better

You forget to mention a waste of a quota spot in Lima?

Wrong am i :lol:

Yes, you are very wrong.

Reread my previous post...but carefully this time.

Jeff Lima played in the Melbourne Storm grand final victory of 2007 off the bench. He was subsequently picked to represent New Zealand four times. (Remind me of how many Wigan props have represented England?)

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Lee, I am not convinced by your assertions. Everything I have seen and read suggests Hoffman is miles better than what we have aside from Lockers. At the moment we don't have 4 props, so Lima improves us. I assume the Kiwi selectors know a thing or 2. At the moment we don't have a 7 to play alongside Sam (Deacon is retiring). It is hard to argue that they don't improve a demonstrably good side.

Hoffman would get into any team, but you could argue that Lima wouldn't improve Leeds/Warrington that much or that Finch would not improve Saints. They are right for Wigan just now.

Yes, you are very wrong.

Reread my previous post...but carefully this time.

Jeff Lima played in the Melbourne Storm grand final victory of 2007 off the bench. He was subsequently picked to represent New Zealand four times. (Remind me of how many Wigan props have represented England?)

Ok so he was good enough in 2007, what year is it now?

Nothing wrong with my reading

No idea on Wigans internationals, i dont follow em but then again Fielden was a decent prop 3 years ago too

Lee, I am not convinced by your assertions. Everything I have seen and read suggests Hoffman is miles better than what we have aside from Lockers. At the moment we don't have 4 props, so Lima improves us. I assume the Kiwi selectors know a thing or 2. At the moment we don't have a 7 to play alongside Sam (Deacon is retiring). It is hard to argue that they don't improve a demonstrably good side.

Hoffman would get into any team, but you could argue that Lima wouldn't improve Leeds/Warrington that much or that Finch would not improve Saints. They are right for Wigan just now.

In your squad of 26/27, you have enough cover without wasting quota spotS on Lima and Hoffman.

You saying Finch will play 7 and Tompkins 6?

Ok so he was good enough in 2007, what year is it now?

Nothing wrong with my reading

No idea on Wigans internationals, i dont follow em but then again Fielden was a decent prop 3 years ago too

Lima first represented New Zealand in 2007. He was injured in 2008. But he was reselected for Melbourne Storm and New Zealand in 2009. It is now 2010.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

In your squad of 26/27, you have enough cover without wasting quota spotS on Lima and Hoffman.

You saying Finch will play 7 and Tompkins 6?

Lee, I don't wish to labour the point, but we need another prop and a 7, especially as Deacon is retiring. We currently have Phelps, Bailey, Pryce, Piggy, Deacon, Bailey and Feca in our top 25, all of whom are leaving, so we have masses of salary cap money and overseas spaces galore. Hoffman is so good he will improve the team, and takes Bailey's place. I still can't see how for Wigan, just now, this is anything less than good business. Plus, MM was coaching these players last year, and so knows them inside out. Given his performance this year in turning easy beats into table toppers, I would argue his judgement is looking pretty sound. If anyone knows what he's buying it's MM.

Lee, I don't wish to labour the point, but we need another prop and a 7, especially as Deacon is retiring. We currently have Phelps, Bailey, Pryce, Piggy, Deacon, Bailey and Feca in our top 25, all of whom are leaving, so we have masses of salary cap money and overseas spaces galore. Hoffman is so good he will improve the team, and takes Bailey's place. I still can't see how for Wigan, just now, this is anything less than good business. Plus, MM was coaching these players last year, and so knows them inside out. Given his performance this year in turning easy beats into table toppers, I would argue his judgement is looking pretty sound. If anyone knows what he's buying it's MM.

Finch is a 6 ;)

Timew will tell

1 50/50 signing, 2 poor ones, id expect Wigan to aim higher

Finch is a 6 ;)

Timew will tell

1 50/50 signing, 2 poor ones, id expect Wigan to aim higher

Finch plays 6 for Melbourne now, but for ten years played as 7 for Canberra Raiders and the Sydney Roosters, not to mention NSW State of Origin.

You need to keep up with your rugby league players' histories.

_____

Finch plays 6 for Melbourne now, but for ten years played as 7 for Canberra Raiders and the Sydney Roosters, not to mention NSW State of Origin.

You need to keep up with your rugby league players' histories.

Im not the one dealing in the past

Lima is an ex Kiwi

Finch is an ex 7

You really are hard work, im done replying to your inane male genitals now, me iggy box is building up nicely now :lol: