Roger Millward

A truly great player, and one of those who could change the course of a game, and even better tormented the Aussies!

Thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

RIP Dodger

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

One of those occasions when you put the rivalry to one side.

A terrific player about whom Rovers built their side during the late 60's, 70's and early 80's.

Sadly we seem to be losing too many players before their time these days..

RIP to the Dodger.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

My mother used to work with Roger's mother at Rowntree Mackintosh in Cas and when I was a young lad she gave me a signed photo of Roger in action when he played for Cronulla which I still have.

A Cas lad who was a world class player.

Condolences to family and friends.

I'm Really sorry to hear about this.

One of the very best players I have ever seen.

I have so many memories of him tormenting defences.

Sad day today

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

A pal's just pointed out it's 36 years ago today that he captained Rovers at Wembley.

Trying to remember the score....

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The end of my era,everything from now is a bonus.

First saw Roger each week on ITVs Sunday afternoon youth Rugby League the stand out player mesmerising the opposition and the TV audience. A year or two later having signed for Cas I turned up at Rovers first game of the season on a Tuesday evening at Hunslet and out turns Roger having just signed for Rovers. 406 games later....then he goes on to coach and manage Rovers through their greatest days in the modern era.

4 broken jaws and cancer of the jaw couldn't hold back the greatest little man of Rugby's history.

Thanks for a lifetime of great memories, 10-5 and out.

So sad today but 36 years ago I will never forget where I stood at Wembley as you raised the Cup!

The end of my era,everything from now is a bonus.

First saw Roger each week on ITVs Sunday afternoon youth Rugby League the stand out player mesmerising the opposition and the TV audience. A year or two later having signed for Cas I turned up at Rovers first game of the season on a Tuesday evening at Hunslet and out turns Roger having just signed for Rovers. 406 games later....then he goes on to coach and manage Rovers through their greatest days in the modern era.

4 broken jaws and cancer of the jaw couldn't hold back the greatest little man of Rugby's history.

Thanks for a lifetime of great memories, 10-5 and out.

So sad today but 36 years ago I will never forget where I stood at Wembley as you raised the Cup!

I remember those programmes.  I assume Malcolm Reilly, Derek Edwards and Alan Agar also all played in the Cas youth team at that time.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Very sad to hear the news. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Legend is used far to frequently these days, but in his case it fits the bill perfectly - RIP Roger

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Without question one of the greatest players I've ever seen. Very sad to hear he's passed away at such a relatively young age.

As Steve says above, it feels like the end of an era.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Great to see the tributes from West of the river but would expect nothing less.

The fans suggestion that the scoreboard be set to 10-5 has been implemented by the club and flowers shirts etc are to be laid there as a shrine.

I would like to see a tribute no6 retro shirt in aid of Cancer charities and a Cancer memorial fund in Rogers name.

Would expect a massive turnout in Cas? for the funeral as Roger was loved as much there as in Hull.

Those were very definitely the days when a day down the pit (as an electrician) was followed by the greatest game!

It is not often that one can say that someone is a true great, an absolute legend and without doubt the best player ever to pull on a clubs jersey.

Roger was all of this and more. He is the greatest figure our club has ever had and was the exception to the rule that a good big un will always beat a good little un!

RIP Roger, and my sincerest condolences to your friends and family.

Ah, very sad indeed. I did wonder why this was just tweeted. What a try!

https://twitter.com/collinstony/status/727406202829852672

Very sad day indeed. Finished playing before my time and my main memories were as coach of Hull KR during that golden era. This was a superb winning try. Can anyone decipher exactly what Eddie Waring says after 'Milward, Milwaaaaaard, what a..............?'

Archived