Uninteresting Trivial Facts

Is that a birch handle.

It's Thuya burl - apparently part of the Cypress family.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Genuine question:

What do people use a penknife for, on a daily basis?

Mine is mainly used for opening packages and letters. Oh, and sharpening the occasional pencil. What it also is, though, is a beautiful thing that is a pleasure to own and use, and sometimes beauty is its own reward.

More outdoors-oriented people than me might have more use for a knife.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Staplers are the bane of my life. They are forever clogging or buckling in the carriage.

Even dear ones.

:(

3rd uninteresting fact the flat head, bottle opener wire stripper feature of a Swiss Army Waiter knife is ideal for running up and down the channel of a stapler carriage to remove the slight burr that can snag the sharp edges of a staple strip.

• 3 weeks later...

Analysis of 17 studies involving more than 15,500 men revealed that the average length of an erect penis is 5.16 inches (13.12 centimetres) and 3.6 inches (9.16cm) when flaccid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11444668/Study-on-penises-reveals-the-average-size-...-and-its-smaller-than-you-think.html

Obviously, the survey was conducted in the southeast of England.

B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Analysis of 17 studies involving more than 15,500 men revealed that the average length of an erect penis is 5.16 inches (13.12 centimetres) and 3.6 inches (9.16cm) when flaccid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11444668/Study-on-penises-reveals-the-average-size-...-and-its-smaller-than-you-think.html

Obviously, the survey was conducted in the southeast of England.

B)

ooh what a whopper!!

Surely the flaccid measurement is influenced by ambient temperature? Even the legendarily-equipped* actor David Niven described his own appendage as looking like an acorn when he almost got frostbite while skiing.

*Patrick McNee, once asked if Niven's plunger measured nearly a foot, said something along the lines of "well I wouldn't say it was quite that thick..."

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my project managers was born four years after I passed my driving test.  That doesn't half make me feel old...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

'Jihadi John' went to the same school as Fred Housego and Suggs. Not at the same time, obviously.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll never see Pi day in OZ. We write dates as dd/mm/yyyy. To get  3.1415 it would have to be 3rd Jan 4159

Even if we took dd/mm/yy it would still be 3rd Jan 2041. According to AUS Govt actuarial tables, I become soylent green in 2032.

Today is a very special Pi Day.

It's also the male equivalent of Valentine's day...  we currently have no steak in our house. :(

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 2 weeks later...

Chronic health issues in the Greek community?

I was in a chemist today with my landlord who is a diabetic. I noticed that some of the diabetic-specific products come in English and Greek-language packaging.

Of further (un)interest, the first wave of Greek immigrants to OZ was in the early 50s. Does this mean that, although Greeks have high rates of diabetes, enough of them live into their 80s to make them a valuable target group for pharmaceutical companies?

Anniversary: the last V2 rocket fell on London (Limehouse) on 27th March 1945.

Ralph Waldo Emerson